British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-16, 09:00 PM

Smile 141st (7th Battalion, The Buffs) Royal Armoured Corps

Hi all,

My friend Chris’s Father, Trooper Frank Beaver (7957657) served in the 7th Battalion, The Buffs which had been re-designated as the 141st (7th Battalion, The Buffs) Royal Armoured Corps, in October 1941. He is pictured in D squadron, 60th Training Regiment, RAC in April 1942. His cap badge is plated as opposed to chromed and I believe that this done in the field by REME. His cap badge has clear signs of wear back to the GM beneath. These plated/chromed RAC badges have been the subject of several previous threads.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...=Green+howards

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=141st

Trooper Frank Beaver was a dispatch rider with 141st (7th Battalion, The Buffs) Royal Armoured Corps as part of 79th Armoured Corps. The unit was equipped with flame-throwing "Crocodile" Churchill tanks for infantry support. He landed in France on D-day plus 6 and was seriously wounded by friendly fire (US arial bombing) at the Battle of Falaise Gap, 12-24th August 1944. He survived the war.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg (79.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[1] (2).jpg (65.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[2] (2).jpg (36.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[3].jpg (52.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (31).jpg (54.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[4].jpg (57.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 16-06-16 at 09:07 PM.
Old 17-06-16, 06:21 PM

Andrew Wilson, a Troop Commander in 141st RAC wrote a memoir entitled Flame Thrower detailing his experiences with the regiment whilst training in England and later on active service in Europe. I have the paperback edition published in 1973 by Corgi Press

From memory Wilson was President of the Regimental Institute (PRI) when the CO asked him to organise the plating of the badges which he did.

I will dig out my copy of the book and confirm the details.

Jon

Last edited by Postwarden; 17-06-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 17-06-16, 07:33 PM

That would be a good close to the thread thanks Jon
Old 17-06-16, 09:36 PM

Over 20 years ago I was lucky enough to drive the late Ken Macksey MC, around northern France, on a battlefield tour that covered Guderian's Crossing of the Meuse and the Battle of Arras.

During this time I got to hear some of his stories from when he served in 141st RAC and earned his MC. Moreover, it was at this time that I first learnt he didn't wear the GM version of the Buffs' cap-badge.

Mike
Old 18-06-16, 11:34 AM

Having searched my bookshelves it looks like my copy of Flame Throwerwas cleared out at some point.

However I made a note that on page 22 of the 1973 paperback edition the author wrote;

"The money [in the PRI account[ had been left to accumulate except for some outlay on items like paint...and an unofficial silvered cap badge for the men"

The author joined the regiment in February 1943.

If anyone has a copy of the book perhaps they could check out that I got it right.

Jon
Old 18-06-16, 02:38 PM

Thanks Mike and Jon for additional info, cheers Dean.
Old 19-06-16, 01:41 PM

Great photos and good to see a worn and used badge.

My grandfather was in the same unit but I've no idea which squadron. I wish he had kept his cap badge and had a photo taken in uniform but having his pay book and tank licence from battle school is good enough.

I have the book but don't know where it is, probably lent it to someone.

Tony
Old 19-06-16, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Having searched my bookshelves it looks like my copy of Flame Throwerwas cleared out at some point.

However I made a note that on page 22 of the 1973 paperback edition the author wrote;

"The money [in the PRI account[ had been left to accumulate except for some outlay on items like paint...and an unofficial silvered cap badge for the men"

The author joined the regiment in February 1943.

If anyone has a copy of the book perhaps they could check out that I got it right.

Jon
If someone can remind me post 23 June I'll double check in my copy of "Flame Thrower". Mike
Old 19-06-16, 02:02 PM

Dean,

In case your mate Chris doesn't already know, his dad (Tpr F. Beaver) was wounded while with HQ Sqn. 14/8/44.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2783.jpg (52.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 19-06-16, 04:37 PM

Thanks Tony,

Good to have the Appendix which I will pass on. I had put at the start of the thread that his Father had been wounded by American bombing at Falaise Gap. He was operated on back in England within 24 hours to remove bomb fragments from his back. Whilst in hospital he carved a wooden taken which Chris has shown me. Cheers Dean
Old 20-06-16, 06:00 AM

Dean mate, I have the diaries for A and B Squadrons. They both say Op. Tallulah was to begin on 14/8/44 with extensive smoke on the flanks and a heavy bomber sqn. in support.

A Sqn. diary has a little more detail and mentions the RAF was doing the bombing – This was not ‘A’ Sqn’s. lucky day, the RAF were giving close heavy bomber support to the forward troops but many of them entirely misjudged their target and bomb after bomb rained down on the area 0956, where A Esh of A Sqn. and many other Eshs (including the Poles) were harbouring. The tragic result for ‘A’ Sqn. was the loss in vehs. of 6 – 3 tonners, 4 halftracks, 1 water truck, 1 M/C, and personnel – Lieut. Walters killed, 1 NCO died of wounds. 1 NCO missing and 4 other personnel wounded.

Tony
Old 20-06-16, 09:07 AM

Many thanks Tony,

I will pass this on to Chris. He will be really interested as family belief was that it was US bombing, much appreciated, cheers Dean.
Old 20-06-16, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post

Jon
Jon, yes spot-on that quote is on p22 of the Corgi edition. (In the other editions it is on p24 - 1956 first edition and 1974 & 1984 reprints. Prior to the 1984 edn Andrew Wilson wrote in the third person and used fictitious names but the 1984 edition he revised to replace those fictious names with the real ones.)

Trooper John Smith in his memoirs In at The Finish (1995) coroborates this on his p24. He joined the regt as a reinforcement in early July 1944. He got a GM Buffs badge at the Reinforcement Holding Unit but when he arrived at the regt this was commented on and he describes '141 had them nickel plated.'

To add to the usual dose of confusion we have with badges, I met a veteran of B Sqn, John Brough who still has his Buffs cap badge (wonderfully rounded to mould to the beret) in GM! He says he had it issued to him (joined late 1942) and kept it throughout the war.
John
Old 20-06-16, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyn View Post
My grandfather was in the same unit but I've no idea which squadron.
Tony
Tony, if you let me know your grandfather's name I may be able to find it on my squadron listings.
John

Tags
141st rac, 7th buffs