British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-19, 08:38 PM

Default Expensive fake free Dutch Prinses Irene Brigade titles

An obvious fake set of Prinses Irene Brigade titles, what a waste of money:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233318970534?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-09-19, 08:40 PM

An original example for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prinses Irene.jpg (57.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Prinses Irene (2).jpg (58.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-09-19, 09:29 PM

Many people today seem not to want to research what they collect.
I don't have any sympathy for someone who just buys things on a hunch and then gets caught out.
Old 06-09-19, 10:41 PM
Banned

How come people are still getting caught out by these Pakistani type fakes? They’ve been around for what must be 20 years!

Talking to people on here is preaching to the converted though. We know they are fake and those who are bidding don’t seem to care.
Old 07-09-19, 01:04 PM

Indeed, both obvious and awfully expensive, clearly some people have rather more money than sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
An obvious fake set of Prinses Irene Brigade titles, what a waste of money:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233318970534?
Old 07-10-19, 07:51 AM
Hanbut

Default Prinses Irene Titles

Could have bought a pair for €15 from my site !! or had a few days in Ste Mere Eglise as a holiday and bought them in person
Old 10-10-19, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
Many people today seem not to want to research what they collect.
I don't have any sympathy for someone who just buys things on a hunch and then gets caught out.
I tend to agree with that .... an over reliance on 'my mate down the pub reckons ...' and info gleaned from dubious forums comprising self opinionated 'experts' seems to have replaced information gleaned from peer reviewed books . Many collectors would rather waste £100s on a fake rather than buy a £20 book and put the hours in studying the subject . Then there is the fact that the more a person pays for something , the more they believe it is 'right' . And finally the internet and its culture of instant gratification , especially on social media , has created a climate where many people feel the need to 'show off' .... and the pressure to post your latest 'rare' finds leads to rash buying in order to outdo your perceived rivals.
Old 11-10-19, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
I tend to agree with that .... an over reliance on 'my mate down the pub reckons ...' and info gleaned from dubious forums comprising self opinionated 'experts' seems to have replaced information gleaned from peer reviewed books . Many collectors would rather waste £100s on a fake rather than buy a £20 book and put the hours in studying the subject . Then there is the fact that the more a person pays for something , the more they believe it is 'right' . And finally the internet and its culture of instant gratification , especially on social media , has created a climate where many people feel the need to 'show off' .... and the pressure to post your latest 'rare' finds leads to rash buying in order to outdo your perceived rivals.
I agree with all of the above but sometimes peer-reviewed books have mistakes and some of them are missing information. Then I suppose some collectors are just interested in knowing if an item is original and aren't interested in all of the 'details.'
Any research is better than none.