British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-19, 06:52 PM

Default Lancashire Hussars Rare Variant but is it Real

What are the thoughts on this rare variant Lancashire Hussars? This is the one with the letters IY removed from the right of the scroll, leaving the whole legend out of centre. There is a very very faint outline of the IY obliterated mostly by stippling.

It's a bit shiny as I cleaned the obverse with some vinegar (hopefully it'll calm down in time), but the loops are starting to go black. One is bent over. Good or complete hokey?

Any thoughts welcome.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7771[1].jpg (49.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7772[1].jpg (43.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-08-19, 07:21 PM
Mr. Jackanory

This is another of those 'nightmare' yeomanry badges that has had me betwixt and between for 30 years.
I have bought 'good ones' that might not be and overlooked dodgy ones that maybe.
There is a lot of good stuff on this one, lugs, but are they in the right place.
It is a badge I place alongside the N'Hants yeo for difficulty and reliability to purchase.
Old 04-08-19, 07:36 PM

Not kicked out of the park entirely then Matti.

I absolutely agree. I have 4 other LH badges - two IY and two later period and I'm still all at sea.

My sister sold a similar badge to the one in this thread on ebay some years ago. She had a lovely letter back from the purchaser saying he'd been searching for this badge for 30 years and thanking her profusely for listing it. I wasn't going to buy it from her even if she'd offered as I was too unsure about it, but when I spotted another and with the chaps note still in mind I thought I'd take a chance.

Mark
Old 04-08-19, 08:07 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Like you they leave me puzzled. The IY ones are a minefield too. I have had IY badges and they are clearly good'uns however this is a hard badge to nail down.