British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-14, 02:21 PM

Default CSC shoulder title reference

While digging through my research for another badge, I came across my reference showing the CSC in use by the Canadian Signal Corps.

The archival material I have is a request for badges from the Officer Commanding No. 6 Coy CSC (St John, NB) dated Dec 30th 1920. In para 3, shoulder badges, it states:

Size: 1 1/2" x 5/8"
Metal: Brass
Description: Letters C.S.C. (At present an Ordnance Issue)
Design: C.S.C. [note that the sheet shows C.S.C. with solid bars typed both on top and bottom)

While not a General Order it does show that indeed the CSC shoulder title was in use by the Signal Corps.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 10-02-15, 07:24 AM

I can now go one better than an archival reference. How about a picture of the CSC shoulder title being worn? Here's a portion of a picture dated 1915 where Major(?) Powers is wearing both the CSC shoulder title and cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC badge in use.jpg (48.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 24-11-17, 01:02 AM

I can now go two better!! How about the General order that seems to have first listed the CSC title?

General Order 15/1910 Clothing Regulation Amendments. Part II.
[...]
Page 27, Above "Chevrons, 1 bar", insert --
"Badges, shoulder",
[...]
C.S.C., each .06 cents.
[...]

So, 1910 is a very early reference for these titles and, as the title was being inserted, it seems it's the first time shoulder badges were included in the dress regulations. Other titles added in the same order are GGBG, CMR, GGFG, LH and Guides.

Now that we know the value, and since I'm such a nice guy, I'll buy them all from you for 10 cents each! Just send them my way.
Old 24-11-17, 11:23 AM

Default CSC Collars.

Gentlemen.

Can I just say that Forum members have once again come to the fore! With the entries From Joe and Alan And Cliff (Quicksilver) etc. The amount of information that members have come up with for this one item is really tremendous.

Very well done guys. May this cooperation between members continue for a long time.

Good luck and best wishes.

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 02-12-17, 11:25 PM

Well done Joe; thank you! I've been absent from the forum for quite some time but look forward to re-engaging with fellow collectors. More to follow.......

Tags
canadian signals