British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-08, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2 Canadian Army Tank Brigade formation patch

The Canadian Army generally followed British organization and war establishments in World War 2. This led to the creation of army tank battalions and army tank brigades in the orbat of the CA(O). (The Canadian Active Service Force (CASF) was reorganized in 1940 into the Canadian Army (Overseas), and the Permanent Force became the Canadian Army (Active) and Non Permanent Active Militia (NPAM) became the Canadian Army (Reserve) until after WW2.)
Two Canadian Tank Brigades were formed, and adopted unique formation patches. The 1 CTB (Canadian Tank Brigade) used a ram goat as the formation patch, and 2 CTB (Canadian Tank Brigade) adopted the dagger style Cross of Lorraine patch. These patches were taken into use in June of 1941, and July of 1942 respectively.
There has been some question about the issue of the Cross of Lorraine patch for the 2 CTB. Some sources indicate that it was not taken into use, however photographic evidence indicates that at least two of the armoured regiments, the Grey & Simcoe Foresters, and the Halifax Rifles of 2 CTB wore the patch. The patch is frequently found unissued, but recently I acquired a 2 CTB patch in used condition from the estate of a former member of the Halifax Rifles. Note the two patterns of 2 CTB patches illustrated below. The patch in the lower image is the patch from the estate. Note the significant differences in the embroidery of the two formation patches, indicating that at least two runs or two different makers were involved in their production.

Old 23-03-08, 04:23 PM

Hi, very nice. Are the backs the same? I once thought I had two versions of the TC title until I realise some creature had grazed the top layer of cloth off, leavng a coarse weave very like your used one. I hope I'm wrong, gives me something else to look for.
Old 23-03-08, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Differences

Hi fearnaught, Note the differences in the embroidery. These are completely different patches. The backing is different, but more importantly, note the black embroidered edge, and the different shape of the daggers. This aspect doesn't show in the images, but they are also different sizes.
Old 23-03-08, 08:28 PM

Default 2nd Armd Brigade

I bought some effects to a Sdn Sgt Major Baker of the G&SF a few back in Cookstown and there were some used examples in there...there is also a decent photo of "B" Sdn 26th Army Tank Regt were all the members of the Sdn are wearing the above Lorraine flash on the upper left sleeve with the Tank on the upper right sleeve. Photo is at Camp Borden Sept 1942