British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-12, 04:40 PM

Default Glasgow Highlanders-Black Watch

I bought this badge with a lot of others that all had loops and sliders missing, I repaired it and it now resides between the 9th HLI and the Black Watch.

Does anyone else have a badge like this?

Awaiting members thoughts on this badge.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000051.jpg (85.3 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg P1000052.jpg (93.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 31-07-12, 06:06 PM
Former Member

Rob, looks like the TF badge to me and if genuine worth about £100!

Andy
Old 31-07-12, 06:08 PM

Why so Andy? The lack of plinth.

Simon.
Old 31-07-12, 06:21 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Why so Andy? The lack of plinth.

Simon.
No mate, if you look it has a plinth! It's the long, crossed thistle leaves above the BW scrolls!

Andy
Old 31-07-12, 06:24 PM

Default TF HLI

Andy, I must apologise for the picture, I am not the best photographer in the world and I am new to this digital camera.

The top scrolls read "Glasgow Highlanders" and the lower scrolls read "Black Watch", here hangs the query, this badge is not shown or mentioned as far as I am aware in any of the books and is totally wrong, however when I got it years ago a certain very well known collector was very interested in it, he obviously knew more than I did about this badge which is why I am offering it up for an answer as to why it was made like this.

Rob
Old 31-07-12, 06:28 PM

Hi All,
A very interesting badge. My understanding is that the Glasgow Highlanders were of the Highland Light Infantry. Where does the Black Watch come into it, apart from the similar badge design?
Cheers, Tinto
Old 31-07-12, 06:34 PM

Thanks Andy, that would have been another on the watch list.... but I think the plot has thickened since then......

Simon.
Old 31-07-12, 06:57 PM

Rob,

Quite a mystery, as you may know its not in either of the Bloomer books, perhaps a manufacturers mistake rather than variation.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-07-12, 07:54 PM

Default Mistakes in badges

Hi Peter,

Yes I think you are on the right track saying it is a manufacturers mistake, look at the variations in spelling of LACESSIT on Black Watch and HLI badges, ADSUMAS and AUSUMAS on 2nd King's Colonials and the "E" missed out on CAMBRIDGESHIRE.

But this must be an all time howler, putting Black Watch on a Glasgow Highlanders badge I wonder who complained?

Obviously there must be others around as the well known collector wanted one for his collection, a curiosity in my opinion and this is what makes badge collecting an interesting hobby. Maybe someone will know of this strange badge, but as it is not in either of the Bloomer books I feel the trail has gone "cold".

Rob
Old 31-07-12, 08:17 PM

Rob,
While researching some buttons this afternoon I came across a Militia button mentioned in the MHS Special Number on English Infantry Militia Buttons 1757-1881 by Ripley and Darmanin which was incorrectly named " ROYAL LANCASTERSHIRE RIFLES "

The other possible reason for your badge might have involved changes in the organisation of the T.A. which were proposed but never took place. ( a bit like the Liverpool Scottish moving from the Kings Regiment to the Cameron Highlanders which did take place or the earlier proposed reduction in the number of Liverpool T.A. Infantry battalions by amalgamation which did not take place because the Liverpool Irish were disbanded )

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 31-07-12 at 08:37 PM.
Old 31-07-12, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Rob,

The other possible reason for your badge might have involved changes in the organisation of the T.A. which were proposed but never took place. ( a bit like the Liverpool Scottish moving from the Kings Regiment to the Cameron Highlanders which did take place or the earlier proposed reduction in the number of Liverpool T.A. Infantry battalions by amalgamation which did not take place because the Liverpool Irish were disbanded )

Peter
This seems a plausible explanation Peter, but one would expect more examples of this type appearing from collections, unless there was an order given for destruction, in which case only a few would have survived. I think it's worth hanging onto if only for the scarce nature of it's existence.
Old 31-07-12, 09:00 PM

Default Rarity

Peter, this had also occurred to me that some sort of amalgamation was proposed but never took place, if an order was made for the badges to be destroyed and a few survived then yes, it would be a scarce item.

I am certainly going to hang on to it, I have never seen another to compare it to and I'm sure Bloomers would have made reference to it had the badges been around in any quantity.

Thanks to all who commented on this little mystery.

Rob
Old 01-08-12, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Its existance is commented on in Gaylor's book. The regt had a long association and attachment to the BW even though they were HLI.
Old 01-08-12, 09:56 AM

The attached is from the text of the article on T.A. and T.F. Headdress Badges by J.B. Peters in the MHS Bulletin of November 1968.

Seems even stranger to have a badge with Royal Highland Regiment on the lower scrolls of a Glasgow Highlanders badge than one with Black Watch on the lower scrolls.

So does this mean that there are two Glasgow Highlanders badges that were produced but not worn ??

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img023.jpg (75.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 01-08-12, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

It would be a real struggle to fit the Royal Highland regiment on the short lower scrolls.