British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-17, 07:47 PM

Default Boonie Badge History

Guys,

I am trying to make a small booklet about Boonie badges / Combat Cap Badges. It will take the same format as my Cloth Beret Badge booklet.

I have been trying to gather pictures of badges to add in and I'll include a bit about the history of the badges with any pictures I can find of them being worn.

I am looking for a bit of help on dates etc and different versions of badges. I have a PDF of the badges I have in my collection, if anyone can help out with dates of wear and pics of them being worn and any different versions I would be most grateful.

If you'd like the PDF too look at and help out please email me.

Regards, Bill
Old 17-07-17, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill,
A difficult project. The combat cap badges were authorized for the permanent force circa 1966 when combat caps came on issue. They exist for all regular force units, services and corps. The reserves were not authorized combat cap badges and many units acquired badges at their own expense. These are very difficult to date. Some units had more than one issue of privately purchased badges. These often are made in atypical colours (not the official OD 107) and are of unusual construction. In the early 1990's, DND decided to issue combat cap badges for all reserve army units. These typically have a plastic backing. Either clear, white or black.
There is a synopsis history of the combat title issue in my booklet Canadian Forces Combat Titles.
Old 18-07-17, 10:52 AM

Thanks Bill,

I did think it was going to take a bit of work. I'm not going into it in a big way, more of a pictorial reference of different versions to help collectors.

I am emailing DND and a few regiments to guage their answers with regards to images and dates etc so will see what comes back.

I'll have a wee look at your book too when I get home to see about the titles but I will only be concentrating on the hat badges.

Thanks again as always, Bill
Old 18-07-17, 12:33 PM

Weren't some, such as the RCR, worn prior to the intro of OD64 on the old wool combat caps?
Old 18-07-17, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Richard, I don't believe so. At least not the OD 107 type. By old wool combat caps, do you mean the cap comforter?
Old 18-07-17, 02:49 PM

I have also seen them worn on the bush dress cap (the un-pc Jap-Cap). That would either pre-date the combat cap, or worn concurrently.
Old 19-07-17, 08:08 AM

Darby Whitbone, Canada has already produced books on them

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Guys,

I am trying to make a small booklet about Boonie badges / Combat Cap Badges. It will take the same format as my Cloth Beret Badge booklet.

I have been trying to gather pictures of badges to add in and I'll include a bit about the history of the badges with any pictures I can find of them being worn.

I am looking for a bit of help on dates etc and different versions of badges. I have a PDF of the badges I have in my collection, if anyone can help out with dates of wear and pics of them being worn and any different versions I would be most grateful.

If you'd like the PDF too look at and help out please email me.

Regards, Bill
Old 19-07-17, 02:27 PM

Bob,

I have been trying to get one of those books for quite some time now with no luck That's why I had the idea of producing a smaller version as a quick reference, mainly for myself but also for anyone that wants it.

Regards, Bill
Old 19-07-17, 02:30 PM

Smile

I have been trying to, I await yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Bob,

I have been trying to get one of those books for quite some time now with no luck That's why I had the idea of producing a smaller version as a quick reference, mainly for myself but also for anyone that wants it.

Regards, Bill
Old 19-07-17, 02:44 PM

I believe the first boonie type cloth cap badge was worn in WW2 by the RCAF, I have a picture somewhere. Of course there was no boonie hat worn in WW2, the pictures I have seen it was worn on a winter hat, and had a Kings crown.
Old 20-07-17, 03:17 PM

Bill,

I was referring to this cap. Photo courtesy Mike Reintjes.

Old 20-07-17, 03:37 PM

Default Winter Cap with Combat Cap Badge

Interesting cap and badge combination although unless someone can find an image of that combination in use, I would treat it as suspect.
Old 20-07-17, 03:39 PM

Ask and ye shall receive.

Old 20-07-17, 05:16 PM

Default Excellent Photo!

Richard, excellent photograph showing an unbelievable combination of Combats and BD during an era when dress and deportment was tantamount to proper soldiering. Is it in Europe? Thank you for posting it.
Old 20-07-17, 05:36 PM

Veltins beer sign on the wall behind. A good German beer.

Last edited by irishhorse; 20-07-17 at 06:03 PM.