British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-08, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Positive Id, please...

An image of this badge has been sent to me for positive identification. I believe the badge represents one of the early women's organizations that were eventually combined to form the Canadian Women's Army Corps. The badge has been tentatively identified as the Women's Volunteer Reserve Corps, or some similar combination.

Old 15-02-08, 12:49 PM

I would say you are spot on with the ID - Women's Voluntary Reserve Corps, (a.k.a. "The Beavers") which was indeed one of the predecessors to the CWAC.

However, it's not a pattern of badge I am familiar with. Until now I only remember seeing the "Canadian Beavers" badge. An example can be seen on Eugene Ursuals site.

Interesting. Perhaps a prototype or locally-produced example? The WVRC seem to have only operated in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. So perhaps a regional variant? Just a guess.

Interesting item!

Adam
Old 17-02-08, 02:32 AM

Default Badge looks modern

Hi Bill,

My two cents...The design on the badge itself looks too modern to pre-date CWAC insignia. The simplistic "beaver" shape and stark "sans-serif" type is a more typical of post-war graphic design. In fact I would think it looks more 1960's or 1970's. The beaver does remind a bit of the "Parks Canada" graphic of the 70's.

I can't think of any 1930's insignia/design that has this look and feel, especially in North America. Even more avante garde design coming out of Europe at the time was more detailed than this?? Also, consider the "Beavers'" badge that does predate the CWAC's, it is downright ornate compared to this. Most military insignia contain heraldic symbolism which make them more ornate. I just don't see period workmanship in this either.

Is this a pin back or does it have lugs? Any maker marks? My hunch is that this badge is a relatively modern club/organization badge and is not military related at all. Perhaps an outside chance of being a reunion badge (but that seems farfetched too) I would be hesitant to call it "homemade" either since the lettering/design is quite crisp and not naive in its construction. It is just a really simple (ie. "cheap") badge, not typical of the period.

A quick internet search did a few clubs and environmental organizations with the same acronym. Another example of this badge shows up on the Australian "Digger" website, also referenced as a type "Women's Volunteer Reserves of Canada"?!

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/canada/wvrc.JPG

Maybe I am "out to lunch", but I don't think it is military.

Bill.
Old 17-02-08, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Athene predecessors

Bill, There is some relevant information in ATHENE, the history of the CWAC's.
At the start of WW2, there were many voluntary women's corps organized to assist in the war effort. Included in the pre-CWAC groups were the BC Women's Service Corps, Alberta Women's Service Corps, the Canadian Auxiliary Territorial Service of Ontario, the Women's Voluntary Service Corps of Montreal and Quebec, the Saskatchewan Auxiliary Territorials, Nova Scotia Women's Service Corps plus many more.
To quote Athene, "strong voluntary women's corps were operating in Calgary, Victoria,... Montreal, Halifax, Toronto, and several other centres. Members of those corps wore a variety of armbands or self designed uniforms..."(p18). These groups existed, without official government sanction or support. They obtained their insignia under their own initiative. This would explain the badge illustrated. This information certainly supports the possibility of badges like the one illustrated being locally obtained and manufactured.
These units eventually were amalgamated or absorbed by the CWAC's.
The reverse of the badge shows the fastener. It is a screw post and nut type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WVRC badge rev resize 2008.JPG (46.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 17-02-08, 07:18 PM

I've seen a badge like this before. It was included in a uniform lot that came up for sale a few years ago. Items included the cap & badge, & the tunic pictured. Tunic was dated 10/41. Seller attributed these to the 'Womens Volunteer Reserve Corps'. I know very little about the war years womens organizations; but both the uniform & description seemed plausible.

My best guess is that the WVRC was either a predecessor of the CWVRC (Beavers), or a closely allied group. The motif of the badge is very similar to that of the Beavers. It is also interesting that the collars worn by the Beavers were inscribed 'WVRC'. ('CWVRC' would seem more correct)

Unless there are some details on the reverse that disqualify it, I'd say this is a legit period piece. I do agree with Bill Miller on one point though - it is a shamelessly ugly badge. If your contact would like to avoid the embarrasment of ownership & sell it.....................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunic.jpg (84.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg hat.jpg (97.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 17-02-08, 07:31 PM

Default Alberta WSC

Mazeas shows a badge to the Alberta Womens Service Cprps (VA2) HAs anyone ever seen one of these, or better yet have a picture of one to post? The closest I've ever come to one is the lapel pin pictured - approx 20mm tall, pin back, BIRKS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wsc pins.jpg (36.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 17-02-08, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Doug, If he does part with that damn ugly badge, I will be storing it in my collection to prevent it from doing harm to anyone else's eyes.
Old 17-02-08, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Doug, But what do the buttons on the tunic say? Thanks.
Old 17-02-08, 08:19 PM

Default A picture is worth...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting the photos of the WVRC uniform. This does seem to verify the badge's provenance. Also, the rough similarity in design to an actual "Beavers" badge is probably more than a coincidence. I still stand behind the assessment that this is not typical for the period. The further photos you posted of the Alberta Volunteers badges are what I would expect from a Women's organization of the time, particularly if privately purchased. Ornate design, better metals/finish, better craftsmanship, enamels... etc. Just think of all the sweetheart bages out there, most are of better quality than the actual regimental badges.

Most large cities of the time had capable jewellers or agents of known badge manufacturers (as Bill's thread on manufacturers clearly attests), and tooling and patterns for maple leaves and beavers would be readily available. Think of the vast variety of "General List" badges? So to my eye, someone really had to go out of their way to make such a cheap, cruddy looking badge.

I would be interested to know, if among the members of this forum, someone can find a similarly designed/constructed badge of the period, even if non-military. That is:
-Simple, bold graphic
-simple brass cut out
-incised lettering/design (rather than raised)
-bold sans-serif lettering

Perhaps we should start a thread for the most ugly badge? We have a clear front runner here.

WJM.
Old 17-02-08, 09:25 PM

Default The buttons say....

......"I'm so glad to be a button instead of an ugly badge." Seriously, I have no idea re. the button detail - I don't own the tunic.

As Bill M points out, most features of the badge design are unlike other badges of the time. I don't think, however, that the design is atypical to the period. The badge is a strong Art Deco image. This design movement favoured 'condensed' images & geometric shapes over detail. The movement influenced the design of everything from toasters to skyscrapers to graphic arts, & was near its zenith when this badge would have been conceived. We look at the badge today & say it looks cheap & crappy, but in '39 or '40 it would have been adjudged modern & elegant. Modern & elegant, without the design constraints of heraldry & history, might be just the thing a 1939 female selection comittee would chose.
Old 17-02-08, 09:33 PM

Default The buttons say....

......"I'm so glad to be a button instead of an ugly badge." Seriously, I have no idea re. the button detail - I don't own the tunic.

As Bill M points out, most features of the badge design are unlike other badges of the time. I don't think, however, that the design is atypical to the period. The badge is a strong Art Deco image. This design movement favoured 'condensed' images & geometric shapes over detail. The movement influenced the design of everything from toasters to skyscrapers to graphic arts, & was near its zenith when this badge would have been conceived. We look at the badge today & say it looks cheap & crappy, but in '39 or '40 it would have been adjudged modern & elegant. Modern & elegant, without the design constraints of heraldry & history, might be just the thing a 1939 female selection comittee would chose.
Old 17-02-08, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Art Deco... or Air Force....

Doug, sorry I misinterpreted your posting as in you owning the tunic. I think I remember seeing that tunic on auction.
Going back to the tunic and the design of the badge, it is worth noting that the tunic is airforce blue. The Athene history indicates that many of the volunteer female units were air raid defence and civil defence organizations. As representative of the "new service" the air force, there may have been a desire to break away from traditional styles of badges? Or perhaps it is simply an explanation of economics. The badge would be very easy to manufacture in a short period of time. The cost would not be great, especially if it was being paid out of pocket or organization funds.
Pure speculation here. But, one thing has been established, that the badge is early WW2. Hopefully more can be added to the story, but I am afraid that this area of insignia history is not well documented, especially as it was not an "official organization".
Old 31-03-08, 09:48 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Bill where does the CWSF come in? Seen here with the Beavers, The CWSF have two long tangs and the beavers have it's lugs cut off & quite a heavy duty lug soldered on. Is the CWSF just another name for the CWSC mentioned here ? Ray
Old 31-03-08, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure Ray. There were quite a number of women's organizations early in WW2, and they are not well documented. Most were eventually amalgamated into the CWAC.
Old 02-04-08, 03:53 AM

Default further to the ugly badge contest, what's a VSL?

please check out EBay auction item 250232399600.

Polished W.M. leaf of very similar design (or lack thereof), although the stem points left instead of right. By the looks of the backing fabric, it certainly has the hallmarks of being contemporary to the other WW2 items in the lot.

And if anyone knows what the VSL is, I'd be interested.