British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-16, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Tanker Mike, that is the point I was making. I was told that the entire army will be adopting the new type of crown, and it is not a queen's crown, but is I think the term used was coronation crown. IT was also indicated that there will never be a change in the crown style due to a monarch. So if the new crown is adopted on all the badges, it will not need to be changed should the monarch change.
There could be confusion here over the Crowns, it is the St. Edward's Crown that is used during the Coronation for the actual crowning of the Monarch, and the following procession, after which the Imperial State Crown is worn.

Marc
Old 21-07-16, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Marc, agreed. That was what I understood, but the source seemed to indicate that a third type of crown exists. As this thread already shows, there is a lot of confusion; much of it due to some staff officer's interpretation of the "correctness" of the crown. As I indicated no documentation on this, which I eagerly await.
Old 21-07-16, 05:29 PM

To continue;
Although it is regarded as the official coronation crown, only six monarchs have been crowned with "St Edward's Crown" since the Restoration: Charles II (1661), James II (1685), William III (1689), George V (1911), George VI (1937) and Queen Elizabeth II (1953). Mary II and Queen Anne were crowned with small diamond crowns of their own; George I, George II, George III and William IV with the State Crown of George I; George IV with a large new diamond crown made specially for the occasion then dismantled as it was too expensive; and Queen Victoria and Edward VII chose not to use "St Edward's Crown" because of its weight and instead used the lighter 1838 version of the Imperial State Crown. When not used to crown the monarch, "St Edward's Crown" was placed on the altar during the coronation; however, it did not feature at all at the coronation of Queen Victoria.

Marc
Old 21-07-16, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I am beginning to wonder if this is a change for change sake's initiative. Of all the things needing attention on the Cdn army, redesigning the cap badges are not a high priority.
Old 21-07-16, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder if this is a change for change sake's initiative. Of all the things needing attention on the Cdn army, redesigning the cap badges are not a high priority.
Nor is new rank for the officers (twice), high vis rank and name tags for CADPAT, Div patches, adoption of blues, etc.
Old 24-07-16, 01:40 AM

Default New Badges

Well, I didn't get a chance to post a comment re the PC homosexual brigade as Bill quite rightly locked it out,..... BUT, I will certainly "Vent my Spleen" reference the latest badges shown in the posts above. Who on Earth would have signed off on that absolutely ridiculous piece of "Artistic Rendition" Were they drunk not to have seen the "lopsided" appearance or the missing end on the upper scroll? I have a "Matchbox" (by Lesney products) "Famous Regimental Badges" RA badge which I would rate finer looking than the badges above. I honestly feel that the badges shown are so DISGUSTING that as a gunner of the 60s I would feel insulted today were I asked (or told) to wear it. I am convinced that somewhere, some demented moron is snickering up his sleeve at what they have perpetrated. It's a shame that an old practice that occurred in India, and I believe by the British Army, could not be meted out to the person or persons who developed this "Make Work Project" The practice?, Google Veer Narayan Singh 1795 - 1857, or check out an Indian postage stamp of 1987 which shows the venerable Mr. Singh meeting his death. Regards, David J.
Old 25-07-16, 02:56 AM

Holy Smokes! More than 24 hours have passed and I haven't seen an answer to my suggestion to Google Mr. Singh. Did I vent too much? DJ.
Old 25-07-16, 06:02 AM

ANut:
Got to ask....when I read about his death I see a noble sacrifice based on principle and honour. Was wondering what, if anything, those principles might have to do with the current government in Ottawa. Just asking is all....
Don
Old 25-07-16, 03:41 PM

cefguy, Not sure you got my point. If you see the postage stamp I referred to, you may understand. It was the fate that befell Mr. Singh, I wished upon the "designer" of the soon to be seen badge! D.J.
Old 25-07-16, 03:45 PM

I am told that the new RCA badges are already being worn, and that new berets will come next year!

Marc
Old 25-07-16, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Marc, yes the new badges are being worn. I was shown one at an Ottawa show. Not a fan of the construction.
Old 25-07-16, 03:57 PM

Artynut:
I did see the stamp and it is an interesting approach to "settling the score". Yes these badges are a mess, don't know why we have to continually fix something that is not broken. Do you suppose it is a directed campaign to ensure that Canada does not have any connection to a proud heritage? Trying to figure out if there is another plausible explanation.
Don
Old 25-07-16, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hi Marc, yes the new badges are being worn. I was shown one at an Ottawa show. Not a fan of the construction.
Will the design on the Standard, Flag and Pennants also change?

Marc
Old 25-07-16, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Don, the "heritage" was cited as the reason for the change. Apparently the pre-2006 design was "incorrect". (Odd that the St Edwards crown used on all Canadian badges and cresting was a standard pattern authorized shortly after QEII ascended the throne. It had to be approved by the soverign before being accepted.)
Marc, pure spec on my part, but if the crown on the badge isn't correct, I am sure they would say the crown on all other official insignia/flags will need to be changed.
Old 25-07-16, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
I am told that the new RCA badges are already being worn, and that new berets will come next year!

Marc
New Berets??