British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-16, 07:07 PM

Are you actually suggesting that this image is spurious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
So here are some deep philosophical questions:

3. If the sergeant really is a sergeant and the photo is kosher, do we have a sense of humour failure if some of us comment on his belly?
Old 03-06-16, 07:46 PM

Quote:
So here are some deep philosophical questions:

!.If the "sergeant" were a re-enactor would we be commenting on his belly?

2. If the "sergeant" were a re-enactor who had previous military service would we be commenting on his belly?

3. If the sergeant really is a sergeant and the photo is kosher, do we have a sense of humour failure if some of us comment on his belly?

4. Is it ever OK to laugh at somebody's belly?
How about this instead.

1. If the Sgt were a re-enactor would you comment on his belly, if you were in thumping distance?

2. If the Sgt were a re-enactor who had previous military service would you comment on his belly, if you were in thumping distance?

3. Would you have a sense of humour failure if we commented on your belly?

4. Is it ever ok to thump someone for laughing at your belly?

5. Is this all a load of nonsense brought about by an otherwise interesting image from a time when the other distinguished gentleman discussed in this thread would have been referred to as a Raving Iron.

All I can say is, I am glad I am not under either of them

Let's not get hot under the collar over it, it is only a belly

Ry
Old 03-06-16, 08:53 PM

With four more years of war ahead of him my only hope is that the sergeant survived the war and led a well deserved long and happy life. Here's to him.
Old 03-06-16, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 585 View Post
1. If the Sgt were a re-enactor would you comment on his belly, if you were in thumping distance?

2. If the Sgt were a re-enactor who had previous military service would you comment on his belly, if you were in thumping distance?

3. Would you have a sense of humour failure if we commented on your belly?

4. Is it ever ok to thump someone for laughing at your belly?

5. Is this all a load of nonsense brought about by an otherwise interesting image from a time when the other distinguished gentleman discussed in this thread would have been referred to as a Raving Iron.
2. Are you even legally allowed to wear a rank you haven't personally attained?

3. I dread beaches out of fear of being pushed back into the ocean by Greenpeace.

4. No, let's have a sense of humour. See 3.

5. Obviously.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 03-06-16, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Are you actually suggesting that this image is spurious?
Can we be sure? I have never, in 60 years of being interested in, and looking at myriads of photos of servicemen, seen a finer belly.

Even on a QM or a general.

It is, frankly, most unusual.
Old 03-06-16, 10:57 PM

Many of us have been through the services -dished out or received remarks and jokes-banter etc. Its only a picture but as adults its as basic as this- is it right to make remarks to make another feel bad- even if he has a smile on his face. In this case its a picture- but non of us ever actually enjoyed having the micky taken out of us. Its not on to make sexist or racist remarks these days, I don't think sizeist remarks are on either. Even if the guy is dead and gone-who's to say a relative might not see this thread? I guess if the member of the master race looking down his nose at him had been on the winning side we would all have to be of a certain type to avoid being sent to a camp- the sort of camp where you lose weight very fast... Regards, Paul. (small rant over- it is though an interesting picture)

Last edited by wardog; 03-06-16 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 04:30 AM

Default Fall on the enemy!

Obviously it's not a new phenomenon:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0o0&ajaxhist=0
Old 04-06-16, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Can we be sure? I have never, in 60 years of being interested in, and looking at myriads of photos of servicemen, seen a finer belly.

LOL
Old 04-06-16, 05:21 AM

I am completely without any doubt whatsoever and perfectly sure that the photograph is original, although, this particular version is a coloured example and certainly not often seen.

Quote:

Old 04-06-16, 05:44 AM

That particular officer was repatriated, his right arm had been very badly damaged after being hit by machinegun bullets the year before, he was very lucky indeed not to lost it, then there was the matter of the splinter in one of his lungs too.
I had to amend post seventeen after noticing just who it was, we had met on several times over the years and I considered him a friend, although, certainly not one I would have liked to have had I been around when that image was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
By the look of his right hand, his flying days must have been over (hence his name being on a repatriation list?)
Old 04-06-16, 06:30 AM

Quote:

I remember a REME technical stores sergeant who laughed off remarks about his very similar sized belly with "Ho Ho Ho , sex makes you fat" but he still passed his BFTs every year.
Old 04-06-16, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
That particular officer was repatriated, his right arm had been very badly damaged after being hit by machinegun bullets the year before, he was very lucky indeed not to lost it, then there was the matter of the splinter in one of his lungs too.
I had to amend post seventeen after noticing just who it was, we had met on several times over the years and I considered him a friend, although, certainly not one I would have liked to have had I been around when that image was taken.
You knew him Frank?
Old 04-06-16, 09:43 AM

Where did this photo of me come from?? Own up now
I can take a joke, eh RY?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funny_military_fat_soldier_m1005.jpg (55.1 KB, 56 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 04-06-16, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Where did this photo of me come from?? Own up now
I can take a joke, eh RY?
You certainly can Jerry.

Anyway you need plenty of area in the chest department to have enough room for all those medals you earned whilst like me dragging dragging your belly all over the worlds hot spots so that all those that didn't serve could sleep soundly in their beds at night

I just about had just enough change left for a big mac after selling mine to pay the rent back in the day, though it seems they are worth a bit more these days, should have waited. Apparently there is some kind of covenant now that is supposed to stop that happening, good luck to anyone who finds themselves in that situation
I hope they aren't carrying a few pounds though or they'll possibly be on to a loser straight away given current views on that score!

I always suggest that it is best not to judge a book by its cover, as you might have the surprise of your life when it turns round and punches you in the throat, as I'm certain that the Sgt in the original image of this thread was more than capable of doing
Old 04-06-16, 02:27 PM

Going back to Richard Todd, he played the part of an officer in the Ox & Bucks, but as stated earlier, he was actually in KOYLI.

David