British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-15, 07:20 PM

Default Ireland's Great War. (BBC1 NI)

I have just watched a program on BBC1 NI called Ireland's Great War.
It was about the three Irish Divisions in WW1.
A very good program and included a lot of original photos and film.
This was the first part of a two part program and covered mainly the 10th and 16th Divisions.
Part 2 is on next Sunday and will show the 36th Ulster Division.
I thought it was worth mentioning to anyone who is interested.
Eddie
Old 01-02-15, 09:36 PM

I saw it mentioned Eddie but my mind is awash with information on the Irish Divisions. So I didn't watch as I'd have been swamped with the same information all over again.
Old 01-02-15, 09:39 PM

This one helps put all that information into some sort of order. It's worth watching.
Eddie
Old 01-02-15, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
This one helps put all that information into some sort of order. It's worth watching.
Eddie
Honestly Eddie, my napper is fried with all the WW1 stuff I've been watching and reading. On your say so though I'll look for the repeat and tape it to see what it's like.
Old 03-02-15, 11:31 PM

I watched the first program and I thought that some of the stuff they talked about was interesting and it bodes well for the second program! I do agree that there is a bit of an overload at the moment on a lot of this stuff, but as we in the South have had to endure the "denial" game for soo long, I'm not complaining!

Dave
Old 04-02-15, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
I watched the first program and I thought that some of the stuff they talked about was interesting and it bodes well for the second program! I do agree that there is a bit of an overload at the moment on a lot of this stuff, but as we in the South have had to endure the "denial" game for soo long, I'm not complaining!

Dave
I don't think it was the people who were in denial down south. I think it was a culture engendered by the Long Fella who had an enduring hatred of anything British. It just goes to show you what influence he wielded in his lifetime for it to continue long after his death. It's only now in the modern age that even Fianna Fail members are questioning a lot of what he did and his legacy. If you think of it; if it wasn't for Tim Pat Coogan threatening to expose him, he would have hung on as President until he pegged it.
Old 04-02-15, 03:50 PM

I assume avaialble on IPlayer for those in the rest of the UK?
Old 04-02-15, 03:53 PM

I do hope so, but you are in a better position to find out than I am. It is on BBC I player in NI.
Eddie
Old 04-02-15, 04:09 PM

Mark,

It is available here on BBC iPlayer, don't know if this link will work:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-war-episode-1

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-02-15, 04:33 PM

Thanks Peter
Old 04-02-15, 05:14 PM

It never occurred to me that this wasn't being broadcast in Englandshire.
Old 05-02-15, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I don't think it was the people who were in denial down south. I think it was a culture engendered by the Long Fella who had an enduring hatred of anything British. It just goes to show you what influence he wielded in his lifetime for it to continue long after his death. It's only now in the modern age that even Fianna Fail members are questioning a lot of what he did and his legacy. If you think of it; if it wasn't for Tim Pat Coogan threatening to expose him, he would have hung on as President until he pegged it.
I'm no fan of DeValera but I think its a bit more complicated than that, remember Dev would have kept us in the commonwealth.I recorded the progamme and will watch it later, but the avalanche of WW1 stuff down here is overwhelming and I chuckle when I still see myths and misconceptions being regurgitated by those newly interested in the Irish involvement in WW1.
Old 06-02-15, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
I'm no fan of DeValera but I think its a bit more complicated than that, remember Dev would have kept us in the commonwealth.I recorded the progamme and will watch it later, but the avalanche of WW1 stuff down here is overwhelming and I chuckle when I still see myths and misconceptions being regurgitated by those newly interested in the Irish involvement in WW1.
I thought Dev was ant-Commonwealth? I'm also of the opinion that taking Ireland out of the Commonwealth doomed many of the people to poverty for 70 years. I find that an inexcusable act for the Irish politicians responsible. The people should always come first.

I don't think there's anything particularly complicated down your neck of the woods. What I think the problem is : there's too many secrets about too many people making too much money in a dodgy fashion. Dev was one of them.
Old 08-02-15, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I thought Dev was ant-Commonwealth? I'm also of the opinion that taking Ireland out of the Commonwealth doomed many of the people to poverty for 70 years. I find that an inexcusable act for the Irish politicians responsible. The people should always come first.

I don't think there's anything particularly complicated down your neck of the woods. What I think the problem is : there's too many secrets about too many people making too much money in a dodgy fashion. Dev was one of them.
No he was'nt, he stated he would not have taken us out of the commonwealth.
You do know that the Irish people were in poverty for the 170 years previous to Independence,so nothing changed.People first:rolleyes

I have been told there is nothing as complicated as NI politics and as an outsider, I accept that,(but it rankles) but then I remember you are also an outsider(to SI politics) and I have to acknowledge that our respective observations/comments hold as much weight as human gaseous emissions
Old 08-02-15, 12:04 PM

The second part of the program is on BBC1 NI at 6pm today.

Eddie