British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-13, 06:12 PM

Default BOGUS NOTIFICATION

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that i got a message from member that he got an email from me, with spam in the email.

Well, at first I know sometimes if someone opens an email it grabs the email list of that person. You never really know if it was your self or your on a friends sent list. But I remembers this morning I got a notification that someone had added a line to a thread that I had written on. I opened it as I always do for the forum and when I clicked on the link to take me to it. The text that was in the notification wasn't there.

I was hacked via the forum I imagine. The notification was one from the forum in all ways, links an all.

Just wanted to let everyone know to be careful.

Regards
Simon.
Old 27-11-13, 06:31 PM
Former Member

Simon,
I had two emails from your address this afternoon, one of which had the text in German!

Both now deleted! That is now 4 cases in the past few months, the only common denominator being the Forum?

Andy
Old 27-11-13, 06:37 PM
Former Member

Simon,
My email (outlook) does not appear to be allowing me to reply to the email you sent! The badge you attached is 100% genuine with a c.WW1 extruded slider!

Andy
Old 27-11-13, 06:53 PM

Cheers Andy on the I.D and thumbs u. And yes on the spamming hack. I thought it was weird when I went to the thread and the message that was in the notification wasn't there. I had to go out, so I just deleted it.

Makes it difficult to see what's going on. maybe tun off notifications for a bit and just check manually each day and check the threads.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards

Simon.
Old 27-11-13, 07:26 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Q for the both of you. What a) operating system are you using, b) Are you using Windows IE or Firefox Thunderbird or ??; c) What anti-spam do you use - McAfee, IOBit, SpyBot?? I am asking on the basis that so far(!!!) I haven't seen this problem.... I am using Windows7, Firefox Thunderbird plus McAfee and Spybot ; W2000+SP4 & Firefox Thunderbird + McAfee, and up to now, haven't had any problems... My wife uses a Mac and again, so far, she hasn't had any problems so far.....
As I seem (for some reason) to have some spare time, maybe I could look into it.
If you are going to respond with details, use the PM system or my direct email address.
All the best, David
Old 27-11-13, 07:54 PM

I really (really, really) do not know why anyone would still use Microsoft products (IE & Outlook).

They are the most issue riddled products in their field, and because of their popularity, hackers spend time on them.

Get yourselves onto Firefox or Opera, and get one of the free (AVG or Avast) virus checkers. Better still, buy yourself a Mac.

Most importantly of all, stop clicking on links in emails!!!

Be careful out there!

Andy C
Old 27-11-13, 08:10 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Q for the both of you. What a) operating system are you using, b) Are you using Windows IE or Firefox Thunderbird or ??; c) What anti-spam do you use - McAfee, IOBit, SpyBot?? I am asking on the basis that so far(!!!) I haven't seen this problem.... I am using Windows7, Firefox Thunderbird plus McAfee and Spybot ; W2000+SP4 & Firefox Thunderbird + McAfee, and up to now, haven't had any problems... My wife uses a Mac and again, so far, she hasn't had any problems so far.....
As I seem (for some reason) to have some spare time, maybe I could look into it.
If you are going to respond with details, use the PM system or my direct email address.
All the best, David
David,
I've been mostly away from home the past few weeks, so working off iPad and iPhone, so no need for any anti virus! In the office I use Firefox as a browser with Norton (I'll probably change to something free when the subscription is up) and although I have Thunderbird for emails linked to SMM, I much prefer Outlook despite its obvious short comings as I personally find it more user friendly!

Andy
Old 27-11-13, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that i got a message from member that he got an email from me, with spam in the email.

Well, at first I know sometimes if someone opens an email it grabs the email list of that person. You never really know if it was your self or your on a friends sent list. But I remembers this morning I got a notification that someone had added a line to a thread that I had written on. I opened it as I always do for the forum and when I clicked on the link to take me to it. The text that was in the notification wasn't there.

I was hacked via the forum I imagine. The notification was one from the forum in all ways, links an all.

Regards
Simon.
Got two emails from you........dumped them in the spam bin.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 27-11-13, 10:58 PM

Smile CR+P

Simon, this is going to sound boring, but I received two spam e-mails, I didn't know you were in advertising . . !

Rob
Old 27-11-13, 11:03 PM

Well I am actually, but not that kind......

I think that the issue here that is being missed is that you can't even trust a notification off the forum now. I delete them all now without opening. I just wanted t let everyone know the forum has a breech.

Simon
Old 27-11-13, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi all

Regards
Simon.

Hi Simon, can you forward the original notification email to me? Is the thread you subscribed to still there?

I doubt the forum has been hacked, it's probably just coincidence.
Old 28-11-13, 12:23 AM

Hi Mike, this is the thread, but sorry. No I don;t have the original notification.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=36100

Regards

Simon.
Old 28-11-13, 01:47 AM
Administrator

I've had a look in the moderator log and a post was removed from that thread 9.53am 27/11/13 uk time, I suspect it was a new post.

In the meantime an email would be generated but the link would become dead when the post was removed.

So the email was good but later moderation activity goofed it up.

The spam problem using your email address probably lies elsewhere.
Old 28-11-13, 01:52 PM

Hi Mike, That was the only email I opened that I clicked on a link, I don;t do that for any other than the forum emails. Everything else goes to the span folder. And yes, when I clicked on the link nothing came up, just a blank page if I remember. I thought at the time that the forum server was having issues, and closed it. Then went out for the day.

I came back to an email from a forum member as I said, and a ton of returned email notifications.

When I check the roum later in the day, and saw that the text shown in the original notification wasn't on the thread I put two and two together.

Regards
Simon.
Old 28-11-13, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
I really (really, really) do not know why anyone would still use Microsoft products (IE & Outlook).

They are the most issue riddled products in their field, and because of their popularity, hackers spend time on them.

Get yourselves onto Firefox or Opera, and get one of the free (AVG or Avast) virus checkers. Better still, buy yourself a Mac.

Most importantly of all, stop clicking on links in emails!!!

Be careful out there!

Andy C
And when you are at it, consider to drop MicroSoft completely and go for some Linux ditribution. No virus checkers needed. Well, the Mac advice is as good as mine, but a bit more expensive.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages