British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-11, 07:01 PM

Default cap badges

Heres a few pictures of some of our collection, I'll post more soon,
I've posted in new member section "help and advice needed" previously.

Old 06-09-11, 07:04 PM
LYPAO Boff

Leicestershire Yeomanry is a fake... looking at it from a distance (I bet it has a slider).

I am sure it looks like this one close up:-

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 06-09-11 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 07:11 PM

Hi Chrissy28,

You have a very nice collection of badges there and they have been put together with care and attention, but without pictures of the backs of the badges i don't think you'll be able to get much help on this forum.
As we all know, the backs of badges are the key when determining authenticity, especially from photo's.
Old 06-09-11, 07:55 PM

Not qualified to comment on real or fake but you certainly have a sweet collection.
Old 06-09-11, 08:17 PM

Old 06-09-11, 08:28 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Hi Chrissy. I'm new to collecting so I am in no way qualified to offer an opinion on the authenticity of your badges. It's fairly obvious, however, your father was a serious player. Immaculate presentation of an excellent collection. If they are all genuine it must add up to many thousands of pounds worth of badges. I've seen one or two that I really like the look of - 6th Inniskilling Dragoons & 5TH Royal Irish Lancers. I mention these two as I have both in my own collection. Fingers crossed your badges check out OK. Pick out a few and post close-up photos front and back. The Pals badges might be a place to start.
Old 06-09-11, 08:41 PM

I agree some that are on display might be replicas due to the fact that whilst they were on display in the R.B.L a few of the rarest ones were pinched and took years to replace, I will have to go thru the boxes and look for the originals.
This a small selection, my father has 28 boards of them, 15 complete and 13 part completed on boards and rest in the boxes.
Thank you for your comments and advice so far, maybe i shouldn't post any more till I've completed the boards unless requested.
I will take pics of the backs of the badges when I find the time, but there are so many.
Thank you again for your replies

Chrissy
Old 06-09-11, 08:46 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello again chrissy,

As an aid to verifying the H.P.C's, you have a frame of circular badges approx 50mm dia, two with crowns above them ??

A check on the reverse should show four loops that look similar to half a paper clip, if that is the case, you could be assured that they are most likely genuine.

Dave.
Old 06-09-11, 08:53 PM

Thank you Dreary, my father will be very proud of your comments, what is PAL?

Chrissy
Old 06-09-11, 09:01 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I believe that PAL is in fact Pal refering to the nickname given to the units raised by Kitcheners' appeal of 1914 for 100,000 men. If the Wandsworth Pals cap badge is pukka it should have F S Starr Putney behind the slider indicating who made it.
Matti
Old 06-09-11, 09:02 PM

Thank you so much Dave I will check on the ones on the board and the ones in the boxes for the loops. So sorry but what's H.P.C think this is going to be a major task !!
Thank you again Dave
Old 06-09-11, 09:05 PM
Mr. Jackanory

H P C is Helmet Plate Centre. In the full dress worn before 1914 soldiers had a blue cloth helmet similar to a Policeman's helmet today. To save money the plate was made in two parts, a universal star with crown but an interchangeable centre containing the cap badge to the relevant regiment. If you look at my East Surrey album you will see a white metal version that shows the pattern concerned.
Matti
Old 06-09-11, 09:06 PM

A pal is a friend or mate- Pals battalions were formed in The Great War from men who worked together or lived in the same area. Your Birmingham Pals and Cardiff Pals badge do not look good. The 14th Royal Irish Rifles looks like it may be good. The Household Cavalry badges- Life guards and Horse Guards, do not look good. Lovely laid out collection. I am though glad you understand that not all will be original.Regards, Paul.
Those that have used eBay to sell badges recomend it- another option might be a militaria auction house, but they may well only want to sell certain items- and make charges. Not had to sell a collection myself. Best wishes with it. Don't though feel rushed-Good badges will make good money and in general prices are going up.

Last edited by wardog; 06-09-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 09:12 PM

Thanks so much for explaining. You lot really know your stuff on here !!
Matti I have other helmet Badges,

Is it worth me posting any more pics until I get more info
Old 06-09-11, 09:41 PM
LYPAO Boff

Chrissy

British Cavalry Badges 1914

The 17th/21st Lancer Motto ....... do the eyes go back into sharp points? or are they "smoothed over" or does the right eye have a blemish in it that looks like a "wink"? Its a later type "FIRMIN" ...... this is the one that has been very repro'd. BTW This one is not 17th Lancers (1914)..... if its good it will be 17th/21st Lancers circa 1930s onwards.

Correct "FIRMIN" 17th Lancers circa 1914 :-

The 1st Royal Dragoons looks ok

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 06-09-11 at 09:50 PM.