British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-09, 10:24 AM

And as a whole...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_1016StoweKatie0018 (Small).JPG (42.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-10-09, 12:34 PM

Yes, Horseman I did see the rest of my grandfather's records at the Archives and had them photocopied, about 3 dozen pages. Most helpful. The War Diaries online at Collections Canada have been good too. I don't have any photos, unfortunately.

Was your grandfather from Sydney or Sydney Mines?
Old 05-10-09, 12:59 AM

Port Hawkesbury before the war and New Waterford and Glace Bay after he came back.

There is a photo of the 36th taken before they went overseas in the Sydney armoury. I have not seen the original but have a series of photos which can be pieced together to show the whole. I was able to identify my Grandfather in it. If you PM me with an email address I'll send you the pieces.

If you are looking for a unit history, find a copy of "Nova Scotia's Part in the Great War" by M.S. Hunt . There is a chapter on the 36th in it written by Maj MacKinnon, the CO. It identifies the officers, and mentions many of the men. There is also a history of the 36th recently written by a family member of the battery's farrier available to members of the CAPE BRETON GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION.
Old 05-10-09, 01:55 AM

I've had access to the online book by M.S. Hunt and it's been quite helpful.

Horseman, have you looked at the scanned War Diaries that are available online from the Archives? I've been looking at them at the 9th Brigade level. Often the 36th is mentioned, and the detail is great.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-09, 11:42 PM

Hi TRT

That's a great looking uniform. I've got the same buttons, collar dogs and shoulder brass but nothing to put them on. Also have the spurs with leather straps to go with it all.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Horseman
Old 06-10-09, 07:12 PM

Horseman,

Your welcome. Would love to have any info on the unit you care to share on point me in the right direction. I did look at the war diary over here and it was fascinating. As stated they had 4.5 inch howitzers.

Do you know any info on their casualties during 1914 1918?

Regards

TRT
Old 09-10-09, 12:53 AM

I haven't done anything on casualties. The history in Hunt's book lists many of them but I don't know how inclusive it is. I should compare the nominal rolls of when they shipped out from Saint John to the war graves lists.