British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-19, 08:56 PM

Default My Grandpa WWII

Again no information other than the date (1940) and north Toronto....

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190218_111432.jpg (56.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 18-02-19, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Again no information other than the date (1940) and north Toronto...
The only infantry regiment that thought itself worthy of a Guards uniform in the Toronto area are / were the Royal Regiment of Canada, which I believe this is.

Cheers,
Dan.

Last edited by Dan M; 19-02-19 at 01:38 AM.
Old 21-02-19, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Again no information other than the date (1940) and north Toronto...
Having had a look at my copy of Mazeas, the cap star in the photo is that of the RRC's predecessor; The Royal Regiment of Toronto Grenadiers. However, that does not correspond to the date which you provided, as the regiment only existed under that name from 1936 to 1939. Are you sure about the photo date being 1940? A date of 1939 would also account for wearing of No 1 dress, as those tended to be stored away during the war.

Cheers,
Dan

Old 21-02-19, 03:37 PM

Wow! First off thank you for looking into this further. That particular badge is among the ones that have been passed on to me (and showing more signs of wear than the majority of the badges I have). It is TOTALLY possible that the date attributed to the photo is incorrect.

Many thanks

Mike
Old 21-02-19, 03:41 PM

Wow! First off thank you for looking into this further. That particular badge is among the ones that have been passed on to me (and showing more signs of wear than the majority of the badges I have). It is TOTALLY possible that the date attributed to the photo is incorrect.

Many thanks

Mike

p.s.

I also have two C/3 collar badges on a beaver from the same 1936/39 time period identified by a Forum member as belonging to the Grenadiers.
Old 21-02-19, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

The Royal Regiment of Canada was authorized their new badge under the GO 181/1939, but documentation suggests the new design of the badges were not ready by the time the Royal's embarked for overseas. In the meantime, they continued to wear their former badge.
Old 21-02-19, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The Royal Regiment of Canada was authorized their new badge under the GO 181/1939, but documentation suggests the new design of the badges were not ready by the time the Royal's embarked for overseas. In the meantime, they continued to wear their former badge.
So, would those former members of The Toronto Regiment continued to have worn their badge as well? What about those men recruited straight from civilian life for the active service battalion? What would have dictated which cap badge they were provided? Just curious.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 21-02-19, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dan, They would have worn what was available. There were supplies of the First WW general list badges for new recruits. Some fellows from the militia would wear their old badges, sometimes collar badges were worn.
Several units from 2 CID were authorized to purchase badges when they arrived in the UK. That included the RHLI, Carleton & York Regt, and iiuc, the Royal Regiment. There may have been more.