British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-16, 06:35 PM

Default Anodised cap badges seeded/non-seeded

Gents,
your assistance required for a short project of mine to identify those anodised badges (of the same die design) that are found both with and without seeding on scrolls and straps etc.

So far from my own collection I have identified the following:-

RHA - silver pattern with lugs
HAC - large version.
Irish Guards
Coldstream Guards
Scots Guards
RAC
RAVC
Royal Anglian Regt
The Black Watch
Royal Scots
KOSB
Cheshire Regiment
south Staffordshire Regt (unmarked slider version is seeded)
Kings Liverpool Regt
Royal Regiment of Wales
Kings Regt

And yes this phenomenon does also appear on anodised collars (check out background of the tablet bearing the '105' on the Royal Dragoons collars - some seeded and some not).

If anyone can add to my list, for interests sake - and to identify gaps in my/our collective knowledge, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks all

Bess

Last edited by bess55; 03-06-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: redaction
Old 01-06-16, 07:09 PM

Both RA cap and beret guns lost their seeding when they were simplified and got the applied wheel.
RADC two piece seeded and one piece unseeded.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 01-06-16, 07:46 PM

Thanks Thomas

I hadn't added the RA as they were differing dies.

RADC added to my list,

many thanks mate - I'll re check my RADC set!
Old 01-06-16, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents,
your assistance required for a short project of mine to identify those anodised badges (of the same die design) that are found both with and without seeding on scrolls and straps etc.

So far from my own collection I have identified the following:-

RHA - silver pattern with lugs
HAC - large version.
Irish Guards
Coldstream Guards
Scots Guards
RAC
RAVC
Royal Anglian Regt
The Black Watch
Royal Scots
KOSB
Cheshire Regiment
south Staffordshire Regt (unmarked slider version is seeded)
Kings Liverpool Regt
Royal Regiment of Wales
Kings Regt

And yes this phenomenon does also appear on anodised collars (check out background of the tablet bearing the '105' on the Royal Dragoons collars - some seeded and some not).

If anyone can add to my list, for interests sake - and to identify gaps in my/our collective knowledge, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks all

Bess
Hi Bess, please can you tell me what seeding is, or even better post a photo of the two R.Anglian Types. thanks
Old 01-06-16, 10:45 PM

Default Seeding

Seeding is the background stippling effect, frequently on otherwise plain areas of a badge, such as the background to title scrolls.
I've used an anodised and bi-metal example as the photos were to hand.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3123a.jpg (64.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3121a.jpg (49.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-06-16, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Both RA cap and beret guns lost their seeding when they were simplified and got the applied wheel.
RADC two piece seeded and one piece unseeded.

Rgds, Thomas.

Ok, I checked my 'Dentists' and most are 2 piece badges and clearly seeded on the scroll.

Gaunt however made an all on piece version (marked both Birmingham and London). The scrolls do initially look clear of seeding , however a closer examination of my examples reveals a very light seeding.

What does not help here I would suspect is that some seeding presents more robust than others.

Thanks again Thomas.
Old 02-06-16, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Seeding is the background stippling effect, frequently on otherwise plain areas of a badge, such as the background to title scrolls.
I've used an anodised and bi-metal example as the photos were to hand.

Stephen.
Thanks Stephen - a particularly nice backing to the Lincolnshire Regt you have there.

With regards to the Royal Anglian Regt, the vast majority I have display no seeding to the scroll, however those with sliders marked FIRMIN LONDON and MARPLES & BEASLEY have seeding on the 'Royal Anglian' scroll. Additionally a Firmin & Sons PLC issue clear plastic bag (dated 01/07/05) marked for and containing a Royal Anglian badge also displays seeding on its scroll. The badge slider is marked with the later 'fatter' FIRMIN' mark.

Norfolk man - Hope this helps.

Regards all

Bess
Old 02-06-16, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Stephen - a particularly nice backing to the Lincolnshire Regt you have there.

With regards to the Royal Anglian Regt, the vast majority I have display no seeding to the scroll, however those with sliders marked FIRMIN LONDON and MARPLES & BEASLEY have seeding on the 'Royal Anglian' scroll. Additionally a Firmin & Sons PLC issue clear plastic bag (dated 01/07/05) marked for and containing a Royal Anglian badge also displays seeding on its scroll. The badge slider is marked with the later 'fatter' FIRMIN' mark.

Norfolk man - Hope this helps.

Regards all

Bess
thanks bess for that info, never spotted that before.
Old 02-06-16, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
That'll be more on your wants list them ! 😄
Old 02-06-16, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Re the R. Anglian Regt - to be fair, I hadn't either and only discovered it when I carried out a survey of my collection which prompted this short project.

In general I think badges found with and without seeding, tend to indicate that the seeded ones are the earlier example. I know there were issues with early anodised badges and seeding (in that it clearly did not transpose well from the earlier brass versions, some using the original die's) and the shiny appearance of the anodising made the lettering difficult to read clearly.

However the seeding clearly lived on in many badges.
Old 02-06-16, 08:57 AM

Besides thoses mentioned already.
Yorkshire Bdge/Vols
Old 02-06-16, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Bess

This may be of interest.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hlight=seeding

Alan
Old 02-06-16, 11:08 AM

Default Modern manners ?

As can be seen from a post in the linked thread I have been trying to find out for some time if Liverpool University OTC were/ are the only unit to have worn the unseeded Kings Regiment cap badge.

I wondered if Liverpool Institute CCF might have worn the unseeded anodised KLR badge in their final days and I contacted a couple of people through the Old Boys Association to try and find out but without a positive response.

Recently I listed a Liverpool Institute CCF cloth title for sale on E bay and the description contained an error which was to do with the school and nothing to do with the either the cloth title or the CCF. Out of the blue I had a message from another E bay saying he had been in the CCF in the 1960`s and still had all his insignia from the unit but he was most insistent that my description should be amended as it amounted to a miss description. I immediately altered the text of the advert and sent him a message asking if he could help me with the longs standing query I had as to the cap badge worn by the CCF.

Despite two further ( very, very polite ) messages from me to him I have had no response whatsoever.

Sometimes you think you may never be able to answer to a query.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-06-16, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Thanks Alan, I did remember that thread, but I found many more sporting 'with and without' seeding in my own collection and guessed that there could well be more, hence my short project.

Unfortunately PB's quest for answers to his eternal Kings Liverpool question continues unanswered - despite that earlier threads discussions.

Thanks again

Regards all.
Old 02-06-16, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, I checked my 'Dentists' and most are 2 piece badges and clearly seeded on the scroll.

Gaunt however made an all on piece version (marked both Birmingham and London). The scrolls do initially look clear of seeding , however a closer examination of my examples reveals a very light seeding.

What does not help here I would suspect is that some seeding presents more robust than others.

Thanks again Thomas.
Looked at them last night with insufficient light when I posted, had another look today in daylight and you of course are right, apologies about that.

Rgds, Thomas.