British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-19, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The Duke of Lancasters has a qc to it Toby.
Whoever devised 2,3 and 4 would probably argue that the constituent regiments badges never displayed a QC on their cap/hat badges,so why should the amalgamated regiment display one on theirs.
Mea Culpa Mike, I’m kicking myself as I remember now that the Duke of Lancaster’s do. Not all of 3 and 4 though. Sherwood Foresters, North and South Staffords, East Yorkshire’s all had crowns. My point is really that hardly any do now.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 24-02-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 24-02-19, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
The Royal Regiment of Scotland is most appropriately adorned with the Crown of Scotland.

Rgds, Thomas
I don’t agree Thomas, it is a British Army Regiment, not a Scottish Army. With historical sensitivities I feel that it could play into the hands of Nationalism, and arguably we have enough problems in the world with that (Catalans etc).
Old 25-02-19, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Just an aside based on a whimsical thought, but am I the only one whose noticed the increase in British Army units that have (largely through no fault of their own) adopted cap badges wholly devoid of the current monarch’s crown? Is this some secret conspiracy by the Republican minded, or perhaps one by the Treasury so that when Prince Charles comes to the throne there will be less spent on changing insignia to incorporate a different crown!

1. Royal Regiment of Scotland.
2. Royal Welsh.
3. Mercian Regiment.
4. Yorkshire Regiment.
5. Reconnaissance Regiment.
6. Special Boat Service.
7. Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment.
8. Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment.

The only new regiment bucking that trend was the Rifles. It’s an interesting exercise to compare the situation with WW2.

Even if they don't have the Crown most have Royal symbols of one type or another. I don't know about the Scots, perhaps as the national anthem suggests we need Marshall Wade to quell their rebellious hearts. The Royal Welsh has the Prince of Wales Plume. The Mercians the Mercian Crown (still linked to the present day Royal Household) The Yorkshires have the Rose, another Royal symbol. The Duke of Lancasters has the Queens title, she is the Duke of Lancaster. The PWRR has the Royal Garter, the Tudor Rose and the Prince of Wales Plume, all Royal symbols.
Old 25-02-19, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
To answer the question:

SBS in anodised aluminium is 35mm x 25mm (Mess Dress)

SBS in bronzed finish is 44mm x 34mm (Lovats)

SRR in 'new metal' I can't measure at present as in storage

Tim
Thank you.