British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-22, 04:31 PM

Default Help dating Treaty Button Backmark

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help identifying the date for which this backmark of Smith & Wright- Birmingham was used.
I had this button identified at the Manitoba History Museum and was told this design was used on coats given to First Nation Chiefs who signed the Numbered Treaties in Canada.
The only problem I have is that I found this identical design used by Tait and Co, but cannot find which company used this design first. I've searched through all information online as I can about Smith and Wright buttons and found nil.
If someone would be able to help me confirm a date this could possibly be from I would be much appreciated as I found this button close to Treaty 1 Signatory Chief Kakekapenais of Fort Alexander's home before that part of the Winnipeg River eroded.
Only one such picture of Kakekapenais exists today wearing what I believe could be the exact coat which my button came from but due to the quality of the photo it is very difficult to tell, but this coat was given to him in 1875, as each Chief recieved a new coat every 3 years.

FB_IMG_1641158748287.jpg

FB_IMG_1641226888902.jpg

Treaty-No.-1-J.jpg
Old 03-01-22, 04:58 PM

1840's to 1881 according to this site https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/buttonsntoz.html#anchorn

Simon
Old 03-01-22, 05:35 PM

I believe that buttons marked "Tait" were manufactured by Smith and Wright, so it may just be chance which reverse was used. However Tait were an Irish company so perhaps there was a tax angle or possibly it was something to do with supply routes during the Civil War?

Rob
Old 03-01-22, 08:53 PM

I read an article about Tait and Co.

https://acws.co.uk/archives-military-petertait

Still nothing at all about which button would have been used at which time though, I have been hoping to get a more accurate date.
The first coats which used this design of button were issued in 1875.