British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-16, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsden View Post
Forgot to mention the 3 inch diameter blister where my face was up against the engine room bulkhead, did I not mention the tramp steamer!
Ron.
Oh my god Ron you made a thorough job of it
Old 19-03-16, 08:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
I nearly went horse riding once. Totally pointless animals that would pooh on your carpet if you kept one as a pet.

I'm not exactly an equine fan either, but I did marry a nag. However, no defecating on the floors as of yet, but she does stomp around the house on my wooden floors without taking her shoes off - I sweated blood doing those damn boards.

Best,

Marcus
Old 19-03-16, 08:47 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Strolled for half a mile along the road leading to my hotel in Jasper in the Canadian Rockies totally absorbed in the scenery........and totally unaware that a very large brown bear had been padding along silently about 50 yards behind me. I only realised when other guests at the hotel started waving frantically at me....I assumed that they were a very friendly bunch and waged frantically back!!
Old 19-03-16, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H View Post
I'm not exactly an equine fan either, but I did marry a nag. However, no defecating on the floors as of yet, but she does stomp around the house on my wooden floors without taking her shoes off - I sweated blood doing those damn boards.

Best,

Marcus
Charming, I hope she docks your pocket money, no more posh badges for you lad.
Old 19-03-16, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H View Post

Best,

Marcus
Ha! Excellent!
Old 19-03-16, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Strolled for half a mile along the road leading to my hotel in Jasper in the Canadian Rockies totally absorbed in the scenery........and totally unaware that a very large brown bear had been padding along silently about 50 yards behind me. I only realised when other guests at the hotel started waving frantically at me....I assumed that they were a very friendly bunch and waged frantically back!!
Haa! James, so funny Did you run?
Old 19-03-16, 09:03 PM

Where's Phil? driving wise how many points is it for pedestrians? And is it extra points for a nun? has to be mega points for two......Sainsburys car park today, momentarily distracted by a flappy insect nearly did for two nuns you know its close when you can see the whites of their eyes.
Old 19-03-16, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Haa! James, so funny Did you run?
Alli, I am sure that you know that you cannot out run a bear.........you are damn right I ran.....fortunately I was only about 30 yards from the hotel and I would have beaten the world record....... The bear apparently watched me with a bemused expression, yawned and strolled off!
Old 19-03-16, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Alli, I am sure that you know that you cannot out run a bear.........you are damn right I ran.....fortunately I was only about 30 yards from the hotel and I would have beaten the world record....... The bear apparently watched me with a bemused expression, yawned and strolled off!
That's so funny, did you have food in your pockets? I wonder what would have happened if you'd stood still?
Old 19-03-16, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
That's so funny, did you have food in your pockets? I wonder what would have happened if you'd stood still?
There was a BBQ on the front balcony of the hotel bar and a nice BBQ steak would prove mouthwatering! As for myself, I was not really in favour of hanging around to find out!!!...perhaps he thought that there was not much meat worth bothering about.....or he might have looked at my beard and thinking I was a skinny bear and it was contemplating amorous adventures..... I dread to think about the outcome of the latter theory (though it would have been a good talking point for the crowd at the BBQ!)
Old 19-03-16, 09:34 PM

I have to be fair to the bear....it was better looking than most of my girlfriends!
Old 19-03-16, 09:34 PM

Quote:
There was a BBQ on the front balcony of the hotel bar and a nice BBQ steak would prove mouthwatering! As for myself, I was not really in favour of hanging around to find out!!!...perhaps he thought that there was not much meat worth bothering about.....or he might have looked at my beard and thinking I was a skinny bear and it was contemplating amorous adventures..... I dread to think about the outcome of the latter theory (though it would have been a good talking point for the crowd at the BBQ!)
It would have made everyone's trip I should imagine, think of the entertainment you could have provided
Old 19-03-16, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I have to be fair to the bear....it was better looking than most of my girlfriends!
James!
Old 19-03-16, 09:40 PM

My first posting was a radar station on the north end of Vancouver Island. Bears were all over the place. Go for a run, see bears - one time I heard a noise and there were two cubs shimmying up a tree with mama bear right behind them.

The bears would come into the married quarters area to rummage in the dumpsters. At the garbage dump, the bears would climb into the back of the garbage truck before it was unloaded.

At the operations site, very often the Air Defence Techs would go outside to take weather readings only to see a bear outside the door.

Good times.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 19-03-16, 10:30 PM

Seen a few brown bears in my visits to Western Canada but I have only ever seen one Grizzly.......they are truly awesome!!

(PS: Vancouver Island......one of my most favourite places ever!!!)