British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-11, 07:39 AM

Default Riots and use of the Armed Forces

It has been suggested that the armed forces might be brought in to support the Police as the riots continue and spread from London to other cities.

With the cut backs in the armed forces it reminds me of the poem " its Tommy this and Tommy that but..............."

What is the world coming to ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-08-11, 07:57 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
It has been suggested that the armed forces might be brought in to support the Police as the riots continue and spread from London to other cities.

With the cut backs in the armed forces it reminds me of the poem " its Tommy this and Tommy that but..............."

What is the world coming to ?

P.B.
Peter,
I think your quote "What has this got to do with badges" springs to mind here..

But you are quite right, it is a disgrace and I hope the Police get to grips with this swiftly and with an appropriate level of robustness! Although I'd love to kick ten bells out of some of these scrots... I think the Army would be a last resort.. I'd hate for us to look like Syria!

Andy
Old 09-08-11, 07:59 AM

It is regretable to see the colapse of society and the colapse of the British Empire. Now it is colapsing on home ground. Queen Victoria must be turning in her grave.
Old 09-08-11, 08:02 AM

Andy that is why I posted this in the "off topic" category.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-08-11, 09:09 AM

Water cannon, rubber bullets and tear gas. It works for europe, france for example.
Old 09-08-11, 09:18 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Political Correctness,

The European Human Rights Bill,

Anarchy reigns because a certain number of todays' youngsters seem think the world owes them a living, lack of a proper education and discipline, lack of parental guidance and on and on and on.

The Police have one hand tied behind their backs, as would any other law enforcement service that could be brought in to control the situation and as Andy says, do we want the troops on the streets of our Cities.

To cap it all, when arrested , charged and found guilty, the judges are too soft and the majority of them will get a slapped wrist, on top of the Global economic problems, the Government needs this like a ' hole in the head '......but with all the ' cuts ' being made by the Government, I do wonder if we will end up in a situation where there is a lack of control ???

Dave.
Old 09-08-11, 09:20 AM
Badge Guru

Down with those peasants!

Please gentlemen. There are obviously some deep rooted social and economic issues which the government needs to address in those areas of London.

Perhaps if the government went about investing more capital in urban revitalisation and growth of local business/economy rather than throwing millions at countries who don't need the money, those youngsters who are rioting would be at work!
Old 09-08-11, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Water cannon, rubber bullets and tear gas. It works for europe, france for example.
it was my job when i was a young soldier in gendarmerie

we use tear gas grenade, flash bang grenade, flash ball gun...and sometimes (at the end, offensive grenade "without shell" )

but sometime the guys in front use firarms; 2 years ago (last important riot in france , 15 policemens wounded by firearms (hunt guns), we dont use guns , impossible to found the shooters........

3 friends are killed and 15 prisoners by KANAKE during riots in new caledonie 20 years ago . the guys used 30-30 guns, 7,62 US garand , at the end we must use machine gun 7,5mm AA52 to protect ourself and free our friends.....more than 15 are killed.... not a very god souvenir

we use too armoured cars with mortar (tears gas) and machine guns

i hope you never arrived at this situation
Old 09-08-11, 09:36 AM

Youre right of course, but they do wind me up. maybe just fire hoses then.
Old 09-08-11, 10:18 AM

Well, water cannon, tear gas and rubber bullets are not licensed for use on the mainland.

Without wandering too far into the political, a usual 'community leader' on the BBC in several places was banging on about this being about 'a cry for justice'.

Whereas Tweets picked up by the press have things like 'Great cure for injustice and deprivation? Free 52 inch LED 3D telly for me, man'
Old 09-08-11, 10:33 AM

Default Riots & use of force

There are many tactical reasons why CS gas, water cannon and baton rounds are not used.

CS= too indescriminate: it gets into houses of residents sheltering nearby.
Water cannon= the MPS used to have two, but the problem with them is the time/availability of water to refill, and the short period it takes to empty them again.
Baton Rounds= authorised and have been issued for use (but not fired) to my personal knowledge in London. If I recall correctly they were used once by GMP, the subsequent 'wet' backlash has scared the Home Office using them again. The authority for their use is with the Chief Officers of Police.

Sadly, evidence of use of all the above in Northern Ireland has proved they are not the cure for all ills.

Stephen.
Old 09-08-11, 10:41 AM

The issue of the reduction of the Army and it's use is to suppress the insurrection (as that's what it is) are totally different subjects. The use of the army would definitely make the UK like Syria, a third world tin pot dictatorship. The issue is that the UK does not have, as mentioned in the previous comment above; a civilian based special police force like the CRS in France. Much feared and specially trained to, shall we say "take care" of the opportunist looters, in short time. I personally came into contact we these "gentleman" at a Bastille Day in Paris a few years back and used for crowd control. I have to say a very orderly day indeed....

Most European countries have these, except I think the UK. The army as the point was made, is not trained (i.e. Paratroopers in Northern Ireland, we all remember where that went.) in crowd control and policing.
Old 09-08-11, 10:53 AM

Agreed simon. I think the existence, and the subsequent threat, of such a trained unit in the uk would work wonders to help with riots, they may not even have to be used. Hopefully not. if they have other duties to fill their time then it wouldnt be a waste of money. Maybe some of the troops losing their jobs could be recruited and retrained.
Old 09-08-11, 10:55 AM

Forgot to say, putting a stop to it quickly and efficiently, by force if necessary must be better fir those innocents caught up in it.
Old 09-08-11, 10:59 AM

Hi Phil, good morning. From what I know on the CRS is they are part timers. Not permanent employees. More like TA or like the National Guard over here in the US, para-military. I would imagine to your point, ex-army etc. But I understand, employed elsewhere with civi job's, but kept on the part time payroll of the Government.

As I said, I have to be honest, when I saw them in Paris, one didn't feel like you could walk over an ask directions....if you know what i mean..

Simon.