British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 19-05-18, 11:19 AM
Robthereiver's Avatar
Robthereiver Robthereiver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 767
Default

Hello Leigh

I think you've done OK, it looks good IMO. I have one very similar that has been pin Brooched, possibly for Sweetheart etc.

Rob
__________________


The older I get ................the better I was !
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 19-05-18, 11:36 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,397
Default

Phew - it looked ok to me, but from images on a phone and I didn't have time to "research".
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 19-05-18, 04:54 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 6,110
Default

I’m not so sure.

Voiding on the tail doesn’t appear to go high enough IMO. Also the voiding in between the forelegs, on genuine examples it goes into a very crisp upside down ‘V’ where the legs cross, on fakes it’s less crisp and there’s almost a flat edge to it.

I like that it’s a deep strike with thick edges however look at Rockapes post #62 in this thread. A fake with 3 loops also appears very deeply struck.

But devils advocate, why brooch a fake badge? And the traces of braze look to be in correct position for a genuine badge.


Cheers,
Luke
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 19-05-18, 05:04 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,397
Default

I thought I might be crowing a bit too soon - I'll have to check through the various threads etc when I can.
Brooching could always be just another touch of "fake authenticity".
I'll see what it looks like in hand.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 20-05-18, 09:28 AM
Alan O's Avatar
Alan O Alan O is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,006
Default

Staistically this should be a very rare badge as it was only worn for 4 years from 1898-02 and then the regt returned to UK and swopped their slouch hats for badgeless pill boxes until they adopted khaki peaked caps with the Danneborg Cross badge in the second half of the decade.

There are lots of fakes of this and this thread shows examples of modern ones. However I have my suspicions that the sheer volume of 'dealer-endorsed genuine' ones suggests that the original dies were used to restrike examples that are now indistinguishable from the few genuine examples that may exist.

It's telling that the 19th Hussar elephant is so much easier to get hold compared to the other QVC Cavalry cap badges.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 20-05-18, 10:11 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,397
Default

The "old" problem - in the absence of known tells on a badge to indicate a copy genuine age to a piece becomes authenticity.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 21-05-18, 05:46 PM
Drmiggy's Avatar
Drmiggy Drmiggy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 450
Default 19th hussars

Please see my single scroll 19th PWO. Any opinions on the authenticity?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE7FB886-743C-41D1-AE48-5C965F315A3B.jpg (37.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg E1A51F6E-5EC2-42C8-9954-D9BB56D9AFF1.jpg (39.4 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 22-05-18, 04:20 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,397
Default

The badge I show in post no. 141 is slightly different from others, both genuine and not genuine in this and other threads. Its not from the same die as any of those.
A good point of comparison with other examples of the badge is the crease pattern on the elephants cheek, below the ear. There are other points to compare including the size and shape of the ear, but that cheek crease pattern is the most obvious yay or nay when comparing.
It took a while and I'd just about given up googling examples of the badge when I found a front view of this Dead Spartan offering (I'd found a view of the reverse but it was inconclusive).
What do you reckon, same die? Good or bad?

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.p...20#prettyPhoto
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 22-05-18, 07:47 PM
Drmiggy's Avatar
Drmiggy Drmiggy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 450
Default Can you help?

OK, I know that this has been asked a million times, but just for my sanity - are these restrikes or genuine. I was given the double scroll by a 16/5 lancer about 25 years ago, who said his dad gave him it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F12F653-173E-43D5-BBB6-E7A0C2296D38.jpg (35.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 56916713-C25C-4754-9EE9-3E4BC5FDC0FF.jpg (31.9 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 22-05-18, 07:55 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 6,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post
OK, I know that this has been asked a million times, but just for my sanity - are these restrikes or genuine. I was given the double scroll by a 16/5 lancer about 25 years ago, who said his dad gave him it.
Definitely fake sorry.
Cheers,
Luke
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 22-05-18, 08:00 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 6,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The badge I show in post no. 141 is slightly different from others, both genuine and not genuine in this and other threads. Its not from the same die as any of those.
A good point of comparison with other examples of the badge is the crease pattern on the elephants cheek, below the ear. There are other points to compare including the size and shape of the ear, but that cheek crease pattern is the most obvious yay or nay when comparing.
It took a while and I'd just about given up googling examples of the badge when I found a front view of this Dead Spartan offering (I'd found a view of the reverse but it was inconclusive).
What do you reckon, same die? Good or bad?

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.p...20#prettyPhoto
The link doesn’t work for me. I always find it hard to tell from Robbie’s scans... do you mean the nelly with half a tail or the one with its tail raised like its about to poop?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 22-05-18, 08:15 PM
Drmiggy's Avatar
Drmiggy Drmiggy is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 450
Default Post no 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Definitely fake sorry.
Cheers,
Luke
Thanks Luke, any view on the single scroll Nellie at post 149?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 22-05-18, 08:29 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The link doesn’t work for me. I always find it hard to tell from Robbie’s scans... do you mean the nelly with half a tail or the one with its tail raised like its about to poop?
That's it, the one with the flicked up tail (code 64550), looks like it's the same die as the one I showed.
And now I've seen it the half a tail one too (code 55376), looks like the same die again.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 22-05-18 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 22-05-18, 08:30 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 6,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post


Thanks Luke, any view on the single scroll Nellie at post 149?
Not one I’d have in my collection.

From the black colour it appears to have been chemically aged, the voiding between nelly’s tusks and forelegs isn’t as crisp as I’d expect from an original. The tail void doesn’t appear to go high enough or again be crisp enough. Lastly the loops seems to be too high up. Genuine ones I’ve seen are looped lower - see Mike’s in post #137.

Cheers,
Luke
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 22-05-18, 09:14 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 6,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
That's it, the one with the flicked up tail (code 64550), looks like it's the same die as the one I showed.
And now I've seen it the half a tail one too (code 55376), looks like the same die again.
I was just about to say that. They look identical, but, then again it’s so hard to tell.

Well they both have nice toned black loops that are growing out of the badge (no feet), nice yellow braze. Said loops are also in the accepted correct position... maybe looking good after all?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
19th hussars, double scroll, elephant

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

mhs link

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.