British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-12, 06:21 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Thoughts/musings prompted by SAS cap

Having followed the thread in a way that someone can who has no concept of SF kit I read what Mr Parks and OC14 said with interest about uniform allowances etc.
I was commissioned on a TA B type ACF comission; and do not hide that from anyone. I was given a rather meagre allowance that just covered my service dress cap that was urgently needed for a freedom parade in, I believe, Driffield. I don't remember much due to the fact that as the officer carrying casket to altar it was also expected that I would lead the other adults out of the side door and take them to the local hostelry; which I duly did and paid for the round(s).
By chance a job and a little money came my way so I indulged and purchased a Sam Browne from Gieves and Hawkes where my service dress cap had come from. The latter had cost me £100 and had no cap badge, chin strap or buttons, they were seperate and not available. If inspected I could be criticised for having the wrong size chin strap but it needed to be worn. I later acquired other items at my expense such as ties and, like all subalterns, of every generation and standard of commission I sought ties of a different shade and the palest shirts. These did not all come from Gieves and Hawkes, nor did service dress at trousers £1000 and tunic £2000. These figures are no exaggeration. So officers will adapt borrow, buy second hand and vintage; as in my khaki sevice dress cap. It is always a good topic of conversation to say where kit had come from.
Yours
Matti

Last edited by matti467; 28-03-12 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
Old 28-03-12, 06:42 PM

Matti,

Couple of things come to mind.

Firstly I bought a Liverpool University OTC service dress uniform some years ago from the family of the cadet. The service dress cap which I still have is actually Australian and has anodised kings crown Australian Military Forces buttons on it,but is was worn with a bi metal Kings Regiment cap badge.

It was bought by the member of the OTC from a military surplus store in London and presumably no one in authority noticed that the buttons were not Kings.

Secondly I get offered quite a lot of Mess Kits from ex memebers of the Forces and knowing what they paid for the kit in the first place, they expect to get good prices for them. I usually suggest that if the pattern of mess dress is still being worn they would get an lot better price from a serving soldier than they would from a collector.

If they sold the mess kit to someone who could use it, for say half or a third of what it cost, the seller would get a lot more than a collector would pay and the purchaser would be saving themselves a lot of money.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-03-12, 06:56 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Peter,
I culdn't agree more. Uniforms and hats remind me of sofas and books. They cost you a fortune and as soon as you step outside the shop that piece of kit suddenly loses about 90% of the value that you have just paid for it!
Matti