British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-22, 11:14 PM

A million years later...

I've posted this previously... information from ‘A Soldier’s Diary of the Great War’ by Captain Douglas Herbert Bell, MC:

On the 5th November 1914, the 1st Bn., London Rifle Brigade, landed at Le Havre, France. Sometime during their one day and one night train journey from there to St. Omer, they had blacked over their white-metal cap badges. Clearly, in terms of the Great War, this practice was being adopted extremely early on.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 19-06-22 at 11:19 PM.
Old 20-06-22, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Some time ago I was very kindly given a scrap book which contained bits and pieces relating to the Kings Liverpool Regt which was started in 1945.

Amongst the gems is a letter from H.J. Usher , a well known collector in the 1940`s and 1950`s,

In the letter H.J. says "..........in Gallipoli ( may1915-Jan 1916) ( Cape Helles) nearly all O/R of whatever unit blackened their badges with burnt rope and creosote to prevent reflection by the suns rays. I can vouch for this from personal experience"

P.B.
Hi Peter

I once had a pair of T/5/ grenade/ LF titles that had been blackened. I got conned out of them but I kept the cap badge with its blank "Egypt" scroll.

They were attached to a leather belt with odd associated badges, a Turkish button, etc.
Old 20-06-22, 08:11 AM

I picked up a blackend grenadiers badge about 30 years ago now, it was a mess and I decided to strip it down and wish I hadn't now for a long time, it had a destinct 10 or 11 layers of paint but in l places it had broken through back to the brass with a stepped effect which you could count just like rings on a tree, personally I don't think you'll ever find out why some badges are blackend but surely the passing of the King must be up there for some badges along with different situations during war.