British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-22, 09:01 AM

Default Lieutenant Colonel Ian Crooke DSO

I read the obituary of this outstanding officer - SAS formerly KOSB - in the Daily Telegraph yesterday. Twice previously Mentioned in Despatches, he was awarded the DSO (and his two sergeant companions each awarded the DCM) for almost unbelievable military conduct in The Gambia. His band of three soldiers rescued the wife and family of the Gambian president, taken hostage by rebels, and was instrumental in actions leading to the rout of the insurgents. He was reported to have trodden on High Commissioner toes and some suggested, apparently, that he should face a court-martial on return to the UK. Instead he was invited to 10 Downing Street and awarded the DSO by Maggie. As I read, I felt humbled by the thought of how fortunate we are, as individuals and as a nation, to be served by such outstanding men and women.
Rest in Peace brave warrior and Thank you.
Old 06-07-22, 09:19 AM

Made of different stuff.
Old 06-07-22, 06:24 PM

I bet he wouldnt get away with it now.
He was the 2ic at the time .