British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-22, 09:20 AM

Default Ministry of Supply Nursing Service Uniform ?

Would anyone know where I can fins further information on the above service ? All I can find picture wise is the badges but not uniform or other details

Thanks

Mel
Old 30-05-22, 11:11 AM

Mel,

An interesting question. Although I have been researching Home Front uniforms for more than forty years, whilst I have seen some of their badges, I have never come across any reference to the service which I assume was created in wartime to cater for the Ministry's many employees.

I look forward with interest to see if anyone comes up with further information.

Jon
Old 30-05-22, 11:40 AM

An example of the service's cap badge.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoS Nursing Service cap badge Bods_edited-1.jpg (37.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 30-05-22, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Mel,

An interesting question. Although I have been researching Home Front uniforms for more than forty years, whilst I have seen some of their badges, I have never come across any reference to the service which I assume was created in wartime to cater for the Ministry's many employees.

I look forward with interest to see if anyone comes up with further information.

Jon
From the badge it might be a grey uniform possibly the norfolk jacket type, but that is pure guesswork !
Old 30-05-22, 01:08 PM

Quote:
An example of the service's cap badge.

Jon
That must be a very rare badge to find Jon.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-05-22, 01:38 PM

Some listed on Ebay for GBP10.

There is a shoulder title as well
Old 30-05-22, 01:45 PM

Can you provide a link please.

The only one I can see is a Copy at £10.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-05-22, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Mel,

Jon
A starting point may be the "Ministry of Pensions" hospitals which appeared immediately post WW1.

Quote:
The Hospital was finally demobilised on 20th September 1919, when it came under the control of the Ministry of Pensions. It then provided treatment and care for 1000 disabled ex-servicement and was staffed by the Ministry of Pensions Nursing Service (MPNS). The nurses wore a grey uniform and a white cap of hem-stitched muslin with the monogram MPNS embroidered on it. A blue belt was also worn.
https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/orpington.html

There were numerous hospitals "retained" by the Ministry of Pensions and a Facebook posts lists 14 that appear to have been still used late WW2 (1943) - 1950's.

Quote:
Chapel Allerton Hospital, originally run by the Ministry of Pensions to meet the needs of thousands of limbless service personnel who suffered grievous wounds in the trenches.

Originally based in the stately mansion of Gledhow Grove, the hospital kept its original role under the National Health Service but began to expand and change from the 1950s onwards, when it opened up to other types of patients.
Quote:
In 1943, now trained, I entered the Ministry of Pensions Nursing Service at Roehampton, where 1st and 2nd World War casualties were cared for.
I haven't (yet) found information about any "Ministry of Supply" hospitals so wonder if they were never actually opened/utilised ?

Quote:
Churchill Hospital

A hospital on this site was first founded in 1940 by the Ministry of Health.

The intention was that it should serve as an Emergency Medical Service hospital for local air raid casualties. This proved unnecessary, and on the completion of the buildings in January 1942 they were leased to the medical services of the United States Army.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoP.jpg (52.4 KB, 12 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-05-22, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Can you provide a link please.

The only one I can see is a Copy at £10.

regards
Probably the same one I saw. Did not take a close enough look to see if genuine or not
Old 30-05-22, 03:18 PM

I believe I saw it too. Not knowing what it was I didn't pay much attention either.

Terry
Old 30-05-22, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Probably the same one I saw. Did not take a close enough look to see if genuine or not
it is a copy

Mel
Old 30-05-22, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=mike_vee;580340]A starting point may be the "Ministry of Pensions" hospitals which appeared immediately post WW1.

Not the same thing I feel. It seems these nurses were responsible for factories, dock yards etc. Bear in mind the experienced workers were off fighting & in many cases women were brought in and hastily trained to do dangerous jobs, I've found a ref references to their requirement & duties, which include minor injuries, pregnancy, first responders for major injuries. They were usually over 25 and well qualified so we are looking at quite a step up from first aid at work
Old 30-05-22, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=maering;580357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
A starting point may be the "Ministry of Pensions" hospitals which appeared immediately post WW1.

Not the same thing I feel. It seems these nurses were responsible for factories, dock yards etc. Bear in mind the experienced workers were off fighting & in many cases women were brought in and hastily trained to do dangerous jobs, I've found a ref references to their requirement & duties, which include minor injuries, pregnancy, first responders for major injuries. They were usually over 25 and well qualified so we are looking at quite a step up from first aid at work
Can you give links to the references ?

The WW2 "Ministry of Pensions" hospital nurses were fully qualified "State Registered Nurses" , they would have dealt with patients with a wise variety of medical/surgical conditions.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-05-22, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=mike_vee;580359][QUOTE=maering;580357]

Amor, A. J., & Sykes, C. (1944). Training of the industrial nurse. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1(2), 81. Not sure if you can get it outside on Uni journal subscriptions

>The WW2 "Ministry of Pensions" hospital nurses were fully qualified "State Registered Nurses" , they would have dealt with patients with a wise variety of medical/surgical conditions.

I'm not saying they weren't, I was thinking more modern first aid at work training, in respect of the things they seem to have needed to deal with

Mel
Old 30-05-22, 05:54 PM

Direct link to full journal article (available to all) here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00270-0001.pdf

[QUOTE=maering;580361][QUOTE=mike_vee;580359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maering View Post

Amor, A. J., & Sykes, C. (1944). Training of the industrial nurse. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1(2), 81. Not sure if you can get it outside on Uni journal subscriptions

>The WW2 "Ministry of Pensions" hospital nurses were fully qualified "State Registered Nurses" , they would have dealt with patients with a wise variety of medical/surgical conditions.

I'm not saying they weren't, I was thinking more modern first aid at work training, in respect of the things they seem to have needed to deal with

Mel