British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-16, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thanks for that Marc, I presume you mean similar to the way the R.Irish Rangers and WFRS wore theirs.
Correct.

Marc
Old 09-12-16, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thought id add this. When i served,80-87. I was never issued any titles. I dont even recall ever seeing anybody wearing them. Yet they are plentiful.
I agree with this, on enlistment I was issued two cap badges (Beret/No2 dress cap) a pair of collar dogs, and a lanyard no titles of any kind and I don't recall through out the late 80s until CS95 any Corps/brigade/division insignia of any kind being worn - Even wearing of stable belts wasn't allowed in working dress (Nylon plastic belt, buckle sprayed British racing green). Yet AA Titles are everywhere.
Old 09-12-16, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The a/a titles were still worn by the Royal Signals officers in barrack dress in the 1980s. They were worn on green jumpers or private purchase blue Guernseys. The Guernseys got dropped as an approved dress item in the 1980s.

The wearing of a/a pips on jumpers was not a success as they kept breaking on car seat belts! The dress regulations were changed for cloth slip on rank sliders. As late as 1992 officers of 1 (UK) ADSR still unofficially wore them on their jumpers with SD trousers as the CO liked them. There were also a number of independent sqns (now defunct) who wore coloured jumpers with gold pips and a/a titles. These included 200 Sig Sqn in Detmold whose officer sand SNCOs wore a burgundy Guernsey up to disbandment in 1992.

The titles remain in use on No 6 dress for ORs which is the rather ridiculous ORs warm weather parade dress 'bush jackets'. They have wide collars so no collar dogs are worn so titles are used. Officer No 4 dress has collar dogs so no titles are worn.

Alan
Old 10-12-16, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post

My son has just reminded me that in some units the titles were placed on a Olive Green slip on.

Marc
Quite. They were also placed on a khaki slip-on. They were definitely worn on both types of slip-ons in Malta. A former signaller gave me a pile of stuff after the unit was wound down with the closure of the Base in 1979.

GTB
Old 10-12-16, 09:04 AM

Default R SIGNALS title

I wore brass R SIGNALS titles on KD jackets with epaulet attached in Aden in 1967. We also had 1937 pattern webbing which we blancoed white. Nice white cross on our backs. In an effort to modernize, towards the end, we filled a bath up with green ink and put our scrubbed webbing in to soak. Not a great success. Also wore boots DMS, grey socks, short khaki puttees, Royal Blue hose tops, and white and blue garter tabs, purple blue beret with cap badge anodized as well as the KD shorts and jacket. Longs worn after 6pm if I recall correctly.
Quicksilver
Old 11-12-16, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Quite. They were also placed on a khaki slip-on. They were definitely worn on both types of slip-ons in Malta. A former signaller gave me a pile of stuff after the unit was wound down with the closure of the Base in 1979.

GTB
Here you go!

As a matter of interest, the title on khaki is gold a/a while the other is silver a/a.
Furthermore, the rear lugs on both titles are positioned behind the 'R' and the 'L'

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSigsSlipons_0001.jpg (54.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RSigsSlipons_0002.jpg (64.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-12-16, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Steve

The "R.SIGS" judging from its material and colour is a Far East version so it would date from the middle to later part of the war? but doesn't really effect the dating of the others.

I don't know what era the "RCOS" version is, but I'm hoping someone may recognise the rear detail and have a guess.

Rob
My identical example of the "Far East version" is stamped on the reverse IAMD 1944. I don't know the expansion of IAMD - India Army M..... Depot? Mike
Old 11-12-16, 04:10 PM

Another variation on the R Signals slip-on titles - this surfaced at home today. Mike
R Signals Titles.01.1.jpg
Old 12-12-16, 09:24 AM

These shoulder titles (Blackened Brass) were worn by my father whilst the Yeoman of Signals attached to the Brigade of Gurkhas in Hong Kong circa 1969-1972.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gurkha front.jpg (35.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg gurkha back.jpg (58.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-12-16, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPEY621 View Post
These shoulder titles (Blackened Brass) were worn by my father whilst the Yeoman of Signals attached to the Brigade of Gurkhas in Hong Kong circa 1969-1972.

Steve
Steve, for interest, these also come in anodised alluminium black - with notably smaller round wire lugs.

Regards all

Bess
Old 08-02-22, 06:34 PM

Default A/A titles on Woolly Pully

I joined the Signals in Oct 89 and attended Harrogate until Oct 91.
I cannot remember for sure (I cannot remember what i was doing yesterday) whether it was during this time or in Germany (14 Sigs in Celle up until Mar 93) that we wore A/A R. SIGNALS titles on the Woolly Pully.
Old 08-02-22, 07:52 PM

I was never issued any shoulder titles either as a Regular or in the TA.