British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-17, 09:03 AM

Default Royal Fleet Auxiliary buttons

I have examples of RFA officers cap badges with both King's and Queen's Crowns in my collection as well as much other RFA insignia, including buttons. All the RFA buttons I have bear the Queen's Crown. I have never seen an RFA button with a King's Crown. Do they even exist?

All the RFA buttons I have have a rope rim, a plain background and the Queen's Crown above a foul anchor and the letters RFA. If the Queen's Crown buttons were the first official RFA design, what was worn before then? Did they wear the basic Merchant Navy officers button?

I have always assumed that the buttons with the rope rim and a plain background were for officers. If that is the case, what buttons are worn by CPOs and POs in the RFA? Do they have their own version of the RN Senior Rates button in the same way as they have their own version of Senior Rates cap badges?

Sorry to have so many questions!

Pete
Old 23-06-17, 08:54 PM

I have only seen QC officers' design RFA buttons as described in your original post.
Old 23-06-17, 10:20 PM

Firstly, many thanks for replying.

Yes - it's strange isn't it? You only ever see Queen's Crown buttons. I only thought about it the other day. The Royal Fleet Auxiliary has been in existence for over a century now so their officers must have had some sort of buttons on their uniform prior to adopting the present Queen's Crown pattern. And when exactly did they adopt those? Were they adopted at the beginning of the Queen's reign or were they introduced during some subsequent uniform reform? The more I think about it the more questions there are to be answered!

The problem is that there is so little information available re Royal Fleet Auxiliary uniforms. Hopefully someone on here knows the answer to at least some of my questions or knows where I might find some more information.

Pete
Old 24-06-17, 10:55 AM

Can you discern the design on Buttons? To my eye they look like early Merchant Navy type but I stand corrected.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFAbutton.jpg (14.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 24-06-17, 01:01 PM

I agree, foul anchor buttons.
Example attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB_anchor.jpg (51.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 24-06-17, 02:09 PM

I was wondering if this button applied

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MerchNavyButton.jpg (10.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 24-06-17, 02:27 PM

I agree that they are the fouled anchor that Btns illustrated.
Old 24-06-17, 03:56 PM

Default Royal Fleet Auxiliary butons

Many thanks to everyone for their replies - and special thanks to GTB for that excellent photograph. So it seems that Foul Anchor buttons were worn prior to the introduction of the Queen's Crown RFA button.

That just leaves a few points still to clear up - when was the Queen's Crown button introduced? And what sort of buttons do RFA Senior Rates wear?

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 24-06-17 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Repeating myself!
Old 26-06-17, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Many thanks to everyone for their replies - and special thanks to GTB for that excellent photograph. So it seems that Foul Anchor buttons were worn prior to the introduction of the Queen's Crown RFA button.

That just leaves a few points still to clear up - when was the Queen's Crown button introduced? And what sort of buttons do RFA Senior Rates wear?

Pete
Hi, When I was an RFA Senior Rate (Petty Officer Medical Technician) the buttons on my No 1 uniform where the same as you described, fouled anchor, plain background in a roped rim with RFA on it.

If I can find one I'll post it on here.

Regards

Tony
Old 27-06-17, 04:36 PM

Hi Tony

Do you mean that your buttons were the same pattern as RFA officers? You don't say anything about a crown in the design - was there one?

I hope you can find one and post an image as that will help to clear up another query! Many thanks!

Pete
Old 27-06-17, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Hi Tony

Do you mean that your buttons were the same pattern as RFA officers? You don't say anything about a crown in the design - was there one?

I hope you can find one and post an image as that will help to clear up another query! Many thanks!

Pete
Hi there, Yes they had a queens crown and were the same pattern as the officers. I think this was because basically, before the Falklands conflict RFA ratings only really consisted of AB's and PO's who had no other "uniform" than No 8 action working dress (now 4's) only after the Falklands was a ratings uniform introduce along with some attempt to align rates to those in the Royal Navy and think a senior rate button was just not thought of (unless it was and I've simply never seen one (possible!) .

I will look in the next couple of days to see if I can find one.

Regards

Tony
Old 27-06-17, 08:10 PM

Please find a scan of the R.F.A. button attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFA.jpg (41.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 28-06-17, 09:12 AM

Many thanks everyone (I REALLY miss the 'Thanks' button!)

So it seems that one button is used for all ranks and rates in the RFA in much the same way as the Royal Canadian Navy does these days. And it's very interesting to hear when the buttons were adopted for Senior Rates. All I need now is someone to confirm when the RFA buttons replaced the 'foul anchor' buttons for officers! I think that will be a much harder question to answer ...

Pete
Old 29-06-17, 04:37 PM

Would I be amiss in thinking that only one universal design was produced for Officers and senior rates, and that the difference would be in manufacturing quality? To be more precise, the RFA button examples I have are Officers (spunback). If a crimped example is located then that would clinch the matter.

GTB
Old 29-06-17, 06:43 PM

Until now we have only been looking at R.F.A. buttons.
The "War Department Fleet" with its W.D. and R.A.S.C. buttons have officers' designs only as well.