British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-19, 09:11 AM

I think is a very pleasing badge, clearly one that has been worn, I would certainly be happy with it as an example.
Old 14-11-19, 09:37 AM

I'm pleased with it, the only other Coldstream stars I have being O.R.s.
I'm still puzzled by the "pin hole".
(Id've done better to have been more selective with the photos rather than open a thread and bombard it with images).
Old 14-11-19, 10:21 AM

Default Coldstream and RHG stars

Attached below are photographs of six stars and they are all different! The dimensions vary, as does the lettering and the garter buckle detail. Any thoughts welcome as I can only really place two of them to a given time period.

The top middle is exactly the same as Leigh's beret star, so post mid 1920's.

The second row left is a Royal Horse Guards officers' star (Dress Regs 1900 and 1904) and the only one I've ever seen. It is the smallest, 41 and 42 mm across the points and 18.5 mm diameter garter compared to 44 to 46 and 21 to 22 mm respectively for the others.

The other four are all variants but from when? Simon saying that they were passed down might help. So:

2 row right the Star and garter are stamped and the garter was gilded at some stage. It could be a fake made to look like the RHG star?

3rd row left is a high quality star. The pin holding the garter and enamel is set at 45 degrees for some reason.

3rd row right I think is the oldest, it has open loops that are seen on Victorian badges and the cross is distorted by over-polishing. The hole in the belt is below the garter not in it. The lettering is most like the RHG star.

The brooched star bottom centre is odd. It is bigger than the others and rounded like FSH stars. It looks like a 1st LG star but it is too big.

Any thought please.
Bill
Don't know why the backs picture has rotated 90 degrees! Leigh's badge is on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garter Stars.jpg (68.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Garter Stars 2.jpg (66.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 14-11-19, 10:46 AM

Leigh,

A nice Capstar as you say and I would be more than happy with it. Would appear to have been with the beret a fair time and the issue backing adds to the provenance in my opinion. These issue backings were a requirement, certainly when I was still serving and a short, sharp hour or two on the Bumper under the kindly supervision of the Duty Regimental Police Corporal would ensue if found without one.

I would imagine that the level of cleaning and wear by the original owner has relegated this Star to be worn on the beret as the Forage Cap Star would normally have been kept in pristine condition in my experience. Shame the last four of the original Owner of the beret is not present as an aid to identification.

Again, never seen a Capstar with the hole at the bottom and can not explain it.

Bill,

Some very nice Capstars there, will take some time to study the images and get back to you.

Regards Simon.
Old 14-11-19, 10:59 AM

Thank you Simon. If you need more detailed photos let me know. Bill
Old 14-11-19, 11:49 AM

Nice collection Bill. What other Guards stuff have you ?
Andy
Old 14-11-19, 01:34 PM

Too much!

My interest is 1914-1918 but the problem is identifying the badge or star that is of the period. There are so many variations. I will add the CG OR badges this evening.

With respect to these Coldstream WO patterns, by coincidence I was trying to date them when this thread started, so it was good timing.

Bill
Old 14-11-19, 01:52 PM

Too much!

My interest is 1914-1918 but the problem is identifying the badge or star that is of the period. There are so many variations. I will add the CG OR badges this evening.

With respect to these Coldstream WO patterns, by coincidence I was trying to date them when this thread started, so it was good timing.

Bill
Old 14-11-19, 03:31 PM

I have only ever seen one other badge, which was a Police Badge, with a similar hole. But in that case the hole was well milled. The hole here looks ragged rather than milled which, at least to me, would suggest it is as a result of damage rather than production.

Not very helpful I'm afraid.
Old 21-08-20, 08:01 AM

Another Coldstream Guards beret, aquired a few days ago.
Provenance dates it loosely c1991(known to be a Colour Sergeant by that date) to 2004 (a 2004 dated penny has been used as makeshift backing plate in lieu of a proper one).

The badge appears to have been struck from the same die as the badge on the beret shown at the beginning of this thread, albeit the lower ray of the star isn't actually pierced.

Badge on the "first" beret shown against white hackground, that on the "second" beret shown on khaki.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191111_140321609_HDR~2.jpg (68.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200819_113435192~2.jpg (87.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 22-08-20, 07:04 AM

Difficult to see exactly how the holes are formed but I have an officer example which must have been a bit thin in that area when stamped out and has a couple of tiny holes on a similar place. A bit of polishing and the metal wears through.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-08-20, 11:55 AM

Looks like the holes / dents are just down to a worn or damaged die, along with the blunt tip to the top right ray as viewed from the front.
Old 23-08-20, 08:58 AM

Default Badge enameled centre pieces

I have several badges that would benefit from having a replacement enamelled centre piece similar to the one shown in the pictures can anyone point me in the right direction ?