British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-24, 10:15 PM

Default Shepard Wolves Flying Squadron - No.2 Wireless School

I wanted to share this seldom seen Crest Craft patch with Forum members. I think it has the most layers or separate components of any C.C. patch I’ve ever seen; I count at least 10. It’s an excellent representation of the pre-war Disney wolf from that era too. The patch must date to the 1944-45 period.

It was designed for the No. 2 Wireless Flying Squadron who flew from the BCATP airfield of Shepard (about 15 miles South-East of central Calgary), AB.

This brief description is taken from a detailed article on the No.2 Wireless School by the prolific, Clarence Simonsen.

The November 1944 issue of American Saturday Evening Post magazine contained a full page advertisement featuring a Walt Disney insignia of a “Sea Wolf.” This image would appear as nose art on a number of RCAF aircraft, two Halifax bombers in United Kingdom and No. 149 Squadron at Patricia Bay, B.C., plus it was also selected by No. 2 Wireless School at RCAF Shepard, Alberta. This “unofficial” art appeared without bomb in mouth, with words No. 2 W.S. “Shepard Wolves.” It is possible this art appeared on the nose of some Harvard trainers but that has never been confirmed. The RCAF insignia was created as a cloth insignia by Crest Craft in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, but no image has been found. I’m positive at least one hundred were ordered, and I hope at least one has survived for preserving RCAF history of this forgotten base in Alberta. No. 2 W.S. and No. 2 W.S.F.S. closed on 14 April 1945.

For additional background and history, the reader is encouraged to check out pp 106-117 here:
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchi...lessschool.pdf

Last edited by zorgon; 28-03-24 at 02:59 PM. Reason: revise location of Shepard airport

Tags
crest craft, disney, no.2 w.s., no.2 wireless, shepard wolves