British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-10, 06:54 PM

Default Various Photos, some of German Soldiers

I have created a photo album titled "German Photos". These are a number of Photos that were with my late father in laws estate, he was with the 17 RCA. The picture are of a submarine, possibly a youth camp, German soldiers posing for pictures, a construction crew and five boats responding to a plane wreck. Three of the photos I believe to be either British or Canadian but one is a postcard and has printing around it "Tiro" and "Photolampo", the other two words I can not make out.

Some of the photos were written on the back and I am not aware of the language, but one appears to be "Andrea Doria" 30,000 tons. I have looked up the Andrea Doria and it does not look like the photo but there is only half of the ship in the photo and it does not look like a luxury liner.

I am not going to attach any pictures to this thread as there are far to many but I would appreciate if any of you have the time to view the album and if you can help me out with any of the photos it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jack
Old 21-12-10, 07:45 PM
Peter J

Hello Jack,

Absolutley fascinating photos - many thanks for sharing them.

Re; Andrea Doria - I believe this vessel to have been an Italian, Dreadnought battleship.

You may also be interested in THIS LINK - which I have found very useful many times in the past. There are one or two images of vessels with this name, though cannot say if they are the ship from your photo.

Thanks once again,

PJ

AD.jpg
Old 07-01-11, 10:37 PM

Default Ships

Thanks Peter J for THAT LINK.
Old 08-01-11, 09:48 AM

Default photos

Hello Jack

Thankyou for sharing the photos, they are a good example of life both on and off duty.

ReGuards
Destro
Old 08-01-11, 12:12 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Possible Pictures from Heligoland During WWII

I wasn't aware of the interest in these types of pictures but I do have (and not in a box, I might add..........) some old German published WWII magazines/cuttings from this 'old Brit' island (that was swapped temporarily some years ago) of Helgoland (I have some old QVC stamps somewhere and I believe 'we' used to call it Heligoland?).
These show pictures of the island structures-buildings etc and especially of German Navy sailors/uniforms etc etc during the war. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will dig them out and take some pictures when I get back to Lux. I did visit the place a few times when I was in Hamburg -and they tried really hard (from the amount of explosives used) to demolish it, but didn't quite manage it.... let me know.
David