British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-11, 02:33 PM

Default obsolete ???

Hello,

My first questions, if someone can help please, when does a badge become obsolete ? I mean that because a couple of badges I was given some time ago have a modern crown, does that mean they could still be in use.

The third badge which I am assuming is Maltese, what would I use to determine if it was still being used ?

Thanks,

Andy L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Police badges. 001.jpg (46.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Police badges. 002.jpg (49.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Police badges. 003.jpg (64.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by andyl; 02-01-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:29 PM

Default Obsolete.

In the British Army a new pattern of a badge may be introduced, in which case the current version is declared obsolescent. i.e. those in service are worn until they reach there end of use. If a badge is discontinued (disbbandment/ amlagamation etc) then the badge is declared obsolete.
The big problem in collecting is finding sources for this information.

I know of no sources for your Police badges BUT the Met Police badge is the current version still in use.

Stephen.
Old 02-01-11, 10:39 PM

You could try here;

http://www.police.govt.nz/

or

http://www.police.gov.mt/help.asp
Old 02-01-11, 11:20 PM

Thanks lads,

My next question would have to be about selling them, is it against the law to sell badges that are currently still in use ? I have noticed on several occasions where badges are being sold that a point is made about them being obsolete, would this be the case ?

Andy L.
Old 03-01-11, 05:34 PM

Default obsolete?

There are a couple of issues to selling current items:

1) Have they been stolen from the police initially- you may get a knock on the door! (The FBI supposedly pursue offenders abroad).
2) Will you item fall into the hands of fraudsters, etc enabling them to commmit offences, gain access to places unlawfully etc. You don't know who is buying them.
3) Ebay rules specifically preclude selling current police items preceisly for these reasons, hence the 'obsolete' tags. Friends of mine have been banned from eBay for this misdemenour.

Stephen.
Old 03-01-11, 05:51 PM

Thanks very much Stephen,

A classic example of here endeth the first lesson, I guess they go to the bottom of the box for a long time.

Andy L.
Old 20-01-11, 04:41 PM

The met police badge is very nice
paj1
Old 20-01-11, 07:54 PM

Default Obsolete Police Badges

In terms of Police Badges in Canada, in particular RCMP, the Queen has been the reigning Monarch for 59 years and up until 2006, the Commissioner of the RCMP was wearing King's Crown collar badges. The King's Crown badges of the RCMP are sought after by some present day members and worn even though they are out of date and obsolete. One can only assume why, the present day issue is not Brass as all the King's Crown are. Initially when the King's Crown was issued, it had to be polished almost daily or plated. The collar badges do not have to be worn as regular as they did in the past and as such are sought after. There are also a lot of present day members whose father was in the Force when the King's Crown badges were issued and as such covet them and wear them.

Jack
Old 23-01-11, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
3) Ebay rules specifically preclude selling current police items preceisly for these reasons, hence the 'obsolete' tags. Friends of mine have been banned from eBay for this misdemenour.

Stephen.
I got a repremand for two police badges I put on ebay, both were over 60 years old but I got told I was selling banned items. Ebay stated that because I had put 'Police Badge' I had broken the rules.
However It seems as long as you put obsolete in the title you can sell anything, even current items!
I dont sell Police items on there anymore, its just not worth the risk of being banned.
Old 23-01-11, 12:01 PM

Thanks for your help,

I recently returned all the police and security related badges back to the lad who had given them to me, I did think of using them for swaps but decided to just get rid, I guess they are not worth the hassle unless you collect them.

Again thanks.

Andy L.
Old 23-01-11, 12:11 PM
Mr. Jackanory

When I left Notts Constabulary they were most keen that I handed in my warrant card, helmet with plate, collar badges and buttons.
My mate 'corky' had an obselete cork helmet. He never wore it to the stores as it would have been exchanged for him.
Considering the powers a police oifficer has it is little wonder that they are keen to keep current uniform off the streets.
There have been some notorious cases of fake officers including one who wandered around the M25 stopping motorists. He had a Notts cap badge is my mind serves me correctly.
lets be honest, how many of us or our family and friends would stop to look at the officer's kit when stopped...
Matti
Old 23-01-11, 07:32 PM

After reading your remarks Matti, I'm pleased to have handed them back to him but I now wonder what he will do with them, after what I told him, I hope he puts them somewhere safe and forgets about them ?

Andy L.
Old 26-01-11, 05:16 PM

It isn't illegal to sell current Police badges. In fact there is an organisation PICA ( Police Insignia Collectors Association ) which is full of Police Officers swapping and selling Police Badges. However there are laws preventing people impersonating a Police Officer or having uniform items for that purpose. So collecting a police badge is okay. Using one to pretend you are a Police officer for any reason is an offence.

James
Old 26-01-11, 06:23 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that and stress that the police are so keen to collect back insignia to prevent these horrid occasions when people impersonate police officers. It is also a very serious offence to impersonate an army officer. Old soldiers should remove insignia when wearing uniform after they have left the service.
Matti