British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-21, 08:32 PM

Default Highland Light Infantry.

Recently acquired this badge because it looked blackened. Have i got an example of a blackened badge ? if so was it worn by any particular battalion on can it be dated to specific time period. Bottom left area of badge had a think build up of a pink material. Is this the residue of polish ( soldiers friend ) i have removed most of it with a wooden toothpick and intend to put a little black boot polish over it.
P1060097.jpg

P1060098.jpg

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-01-21, 09:23 PM

No battalion of the Pig and Whistle LI wore blackened badges. There is evidence that some British regiments blackened their badges in the field during WW1, but I doubt many would have survived as such. Badges were sometimes blackened in during the Troubles in N. Ireland, but this was after the HLI were gone.
CB
Old 07-01-21, 12:10 AM

HI CB.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. This badge has definitely been coated with something. When I take a close look I can see a a faint crackling where this coating is breaking down. So is this a fake badge or an original badge that someone at some time has put something on it. You answered my first thought that I could have been worn by I particular battalion at a particular point in time.
Regards
Chris
Old 07-01-21, 12:56 AM

The badge itself appears to be original, albeit a poor quality one. The lugs being mounted high gives me some concern, but they do not look to be typical fakes.
Just no way to know why that blackened coating was applied, although it appears to have genuine age and the lugs have turned a dark shade through time.

CB
Old 07-01-21, 08:29 AM

It looks like it may have been coated with a poor quality varnish or lacquer which has blackened over time, that would explain the cracking and flaking.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 07-01-21, 10:34 AM

Hi Alex.
That would make sense as I can see a little bit of yellow which may well be varnish.
It only cost me £1.35.
Thanks for your comments.
Regards
Chris