British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-14, 10:46 PM

I have a couple of chromed York and Lancs badges and like others speculated as to their use.

I still subscribe to the view that they (well Y&L badges anyway) were used by bands as I have seen photos that show what appear to one colour badges on their headdress.

Having said that, I can say with 100% confidence that they were also used by Regimental Police. Whilst helping to catalogue the Y&L archives over the last 8 months, I came across a couple of photographs of Regimental Policemen in I think Gibraltar, wearing a chromed Y&L badge on their brassard but with a Yorkshire Brigade cap badge in their berets.

I'll see if I can dig out the photos and post them on here.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02151.jpg (60.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02154.jpg (48.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by badger123; 03-04-14 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 05:58 AM

Could some kind person explain why there was a difference between nickel and chrome. I think I have examples of both - on 1926 Pattern King's cap badges - nickel being the duller one. I am guessing that nickel plating was the earlier form but that chrome plating was a more durable 'shinier' development ??

As to reasons, I still have not come across a definitive documented usage. I too thought bands - particularly since (1937) Liverpool Scottish and (1939) Liverpool Irish badges are known with this treatment and 'thought' to be related to pipers. the 1953 coronation was also thought to be an occasion for such plating but there are a number of earlier instances.
Old 06-04-14, 08:50 PM

Default Poplar & Stepney Rifles

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 07-05-14 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 10:23 AM
LYPAO Boff

Not sure what period this "chromed" motto is from as I have a photo of this particular type of motto that is clearly pre Great War? It will be interesting to see if this was chromed after the clipping of the slider or before? Rob has stated that chrome plating started in the 1920's...

Julian

Ref your "nickel" comment, I have modern Gaunt made Mottoes that are chromed and also with just a plain matt nickel finish. Nickel was also used as a base for plating..... so a brass base then nickel plated then silver plated for example. The matt nickel has had some wear on it and you can see a brass base under it. Both the nickel based mottoes can be found "Blackened" and with a "Gun Metal" finish....... so I believe that the matt nickel finish is just a factory "base" motto....... the same can be said for the unusual plain brass, these have a corresponding silver plated motto for example.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 04-11-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 10:24 AM

Hello Andy,
I'd always thought that there was an RAC connection too, I bought the attached a couple of days ago and my first thoughts were 111th Regiment RAC, now I'm just keeping an open mind!
It's well worn and would certainly have looked the part on the RAC beret.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I'm sure we went down this road last year, with the same varied responses..... IMO the reasons are varied, a lot of Corps badges that have been chromed and still retain their original fixing method were highly likely to have been because the original owner was attached to a RAC unit. Those that have replacment fittings, pins, brooch clasps etc are more than likely for sweetheart or old comrades usage. The Band theory although not universal has evidence to support it! I have a "Kings Own" (Lancaster) badge which is lugged and chromed which I bought as a "Tank" or "Armoured" Battalion badge, although I cannot which recall which Bn? Can anyone help?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020628.jpg (51.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-11-14, 02:56 PM

Chromed Manchesters fleur de lys badge mentioned here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=fleur

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-01-15, 07:32 PM
LYPAO Boff

This has a clipped slider and has been chromed after that event...... at a guess National Service era?

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-01-15, 07:50 PM

Malay period SWB, you will also find R.E badges as well that were worn

P9010397.jpg P9010398.jpg

Jonathan
Old 26-01-15, 08:23 PM

Default Irish Guards Chromed Cap Badge.

Picked up this Irish Guards badge a number of years ago. Not sure what to make of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1752.jpg (86.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1750.jpg (81.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-01-15, 09:17 PM
LYPAO Boff

Now.... that looks like a contender for an Armoured Battalion 2nd (Armoured) Bde, 3rd Bn. Irish Guards ....for example, if its ever proven they chromed their beret badge?

The 3rd Battalion was previously the Training Battalion and its very existence was in doubt for some time, before the decision was made to disband the 1st. The Battalion started its Normandy campaign with one Company of Scots Guards, before receiving reinforcements from the 1st Bn in August 44. As with the 2nd Armoured, this battalion saw service as part of the Guards Armoured Division. After Normandy these two battalions formed up the Irish Group and as such took part in Operation Market Garden. After the war and before being disbanded, the 3rd Battalion was based at Hoffnungsthal, Nordrhein-Westphalen, with many Guardsmen being either transferred to another battalion in Hamburg or demobbed.
http://www.ww2guards.com/ww2guards/B...Structure.html

Operation Goodwood Sherman of the 2 Amd Bde IG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IGChromeA1.jpg (41.6 KB, 22 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 26-01-15 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
ah well there you go then!

have a 1st type chrome REME in the sales section that fits the bill but I'm not allowed to advertise it.
I have REME 1st pattern both chromed and cast in white metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (47.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (47.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 24-08-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 12:43 AM

I have somewhere a matt??/dulled chrome RE badge
Old 12-03-15, 10:55 AM

Here is another East Yorkshire this badge has been broached.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 24-08-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-03-15, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
I have a couple of chromed York and Lancs badges and like others speculated as to their use.

I still subscribe to the view that they (well Y&L badges anyway) were used by bands as I have seen photos that show what appear to one colour badges on their headdress.

Having said that, I can say with 100% confidence that they were also used by Regimental Police. Whilst helping to catalogue the Y&L archives over the last 8 months, I came across a couple of photographs of Regimental Policemen in I think Gibraltar, wearing a chromed Y&L badge on their brassard but with a Yorkshire Brigade cap badge in their berets.

I'll see if I can dig out the photos and post them on here.

Ivan
How about 150 Regt RAC (York and Lancaster) (ex 10 Y&L). I believe that the Regimental history tracks the debate about the beret badge which culminated in permission for the regimental badge to be worn in place of the RAC badge. The Regiment served with 50 and 254Indian Tk Bdes in India and Burma.f
Old 24-08-19, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default Chrome walking out

This paragraph is from a contemporary article that states that during late/post WW2 privately purchased colour side caps were popular for 'walking-out' with unofficial chromium plated cap badges.

Source Vol XXV of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research

This is in contract to the 'RAC' related badges such as the Buffs which accounts exist that show they were nickel plated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chrome walking out.jpg (78.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Chrome walking out..png (50.2 KB, 38 views)