British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-11, 08:46 AM

Default two piece economy strike ?

Hello, I have seen an all brass Warwickshire badge for sale. It certainly has a good patina and age. It has been broached but has had a slide removed. The only thing which puzzles me is that it is a two part construction? My economy strikes are all one piece. Could this be territorial badge? or has anyone else got any two piece economy strikes? It can't be a collar because of the evidence of the slider. It is a nice badge and I hope that somebody might be able to help.

Best wishes Dave Moore.
Old 17-07-11, 09:00 AM
Former Member

David,
there was no such badge as a Warwicks Economy! It's either a Bimetal ORs badge which has been plated or a 2 piece OSD badge.

The whole point of EI was to save time (not metal) and they were ONLY struck in one piece! With some badges the economy was minimal so they did not proceed with an EI version, the Warwicks was one such badge!

The other option of course is that it's a brooched fake!

If you have a browse in this album, you will see variants of the Infantry Badges which had EIs authorised (only 26), if there is not a genuine example shown within the album, then one did not exist!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-07-11 at 09:05 AM.
Old 17-07-11, 09:29 AM

It could also be a other ranks badge brooched and gilded to turn it into a sweetheart brooch.
Andy.
Old 17-07-11, 10:09 AM

Default Thankyou both

Hi, thankyou both for your help, I am not going to purchase that badge. I have one more question, of the 26 EI badges, did their respective territorial battalions also have an economy version?

Best wishes Dave Moore
Old 17-07-11, 10:24 AM
Former Member

Dave,
now that's a whole different can of worms!!

Gaylor lists:

Suffolk
Leics*
E.Lancs
S.Lancs
Essex
Northants
Middx
HLI
Cambs*
Hereford
23rd London* both 1900-2 & -02...

The only genuine example of which I have is the 23rd London (-2), I have marked with * the ones I think may exist? I'm sure there could be others, perhaps members have examples to show? Here's the 23rd London:

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (5).jpg (93.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (6).jpg (100.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-07-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 17-07-11, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moore View Post
Hello, I have seen an all brass Warwickshire badge for sale. It certainly has a good patina and age. It has been broached but has had a slide removed. The only thing which puzzles me is that it is a two part construction? My economy strikes are all one piece. Could this be territorial badge? or has anyone else got any two piece economy strikes? It can't be a collar because of the evidence of the slider. It is a nice badge and I hope that somebody might be able to help.

Best wishes Dave Moore.
Hi David
Sounds very much like the badge on page 2 of my album. I am assured it is not an all brass economy, but it is an all brass something !
Old 17-07-11, 02:14 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi David
Sounds very much like the badge on page 2 of my album. I am assured it is not an all brass economy, but it is an all brass something !
Jeff,
hope you don't mind but I've added a link

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=5939

I think your badge was a toned Bim example, white metal often takes on a yellowish hue with age if not cleaned!

Andy
Old 17-07-11, 04:38 PM

Default another can of worms

I would just like to ask one more question; did any cavalry or yeomanry Regiments have an economy strike? The reason I ask is that have an all GM Worstershire Hussars badge, which I have assumed was an ecomomy issue. Thanks for all of the fantastic information so far !

Best Regards

David Moore.
Old 17-07-11, 04:43 PM
Former Member

David,
the Cavalry certainly had all Gm versions and Gaylor also lists the following Yeo:

Yorks Huss
Yorks Dgns
Pembs
Worcs
Glam
East Riding (??? This is probably an error as the badges was in GM).

He omits Hants, which I'm sure should feature?

He lists Middx however their badge was all Wm so there should not be an All Gm version, but "There is?" The Infantry line up is straight forward, the Cav, Yeo and TF are not as clear cut!

Is your badge slidered?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-07-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 17-07-11, 05:30 PM

Default EI badges

Hi Andy,

Yes my Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars badge has a slider although it looks like a period replacement? I have also got an all GM Yorkshire Hussars badge (with slider), a territorial South Lancashire (with pins)?, a non-voided Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders GM (with pins) and an all GM DLI badge, missing slider (I thought that this was an economy strike because of its relative shallowness when compared to a regular badge), I wonder if it is a 6th DLI with black paint removed?

Dave Moore
Old 17-07-11, 05:35 PM
Former Member

Dave,
DLI did not have an all Gm economy! By pins do you mean lugs, or that the overlaid parts are pinned together?

Andy
Old 17-07-11, 05:56 PM

Default DLI

Hi Andy, I bought the DLI badge before joining the Forum so assumed it was an EI, I now think that it is a 6th Batt. When I say pins I am refering to lugs. I am still confused about the A&SH badge, I bought it from an old collection that was put together in the sixties.

Regards Dave M
Old 17-07-11, 06:13 PM

from my grand father collection : genuine 100%

10th ROYAL HUSSARS, two pieces all brass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03426-.JPG (22.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03427-.JPG (21.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03539-.JPG (26.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 17-07-11, 06:16 PM

Gaylor did not have any basis for his list, just things he saw. We are in a better position these days as the official lists are known.
To put your mind at rest, yes, there were 1916 all GM issues of the Worcs Yeo and the Yorks Yeo. Yes, there was a GM issue of the 4th Bn S Lancs.
If by 'non voided' A&SH you mean 'solid' then that would date it before 1910. BUT that badge was never produced in GM. Neither was the regular DLI - but I don't known about Vol / TF battalions.
Old 18-07-11, 08:24 AM

Default All brass Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Jeff,
hope you don't mind but I've added a link

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=5939

I think your badge was a toned Bim example, white metal often takes on a yellowish hue with age if not cleaned!

Andy
Hi Andy.
No problem. Indeed I welcome your expert opinion and regard your remarks as fair comment. Tho' from memory, (not always infalible I admit) I seem to recall it was indeed all brass, two piece, and had a slider fixing. A real puzzle for me then and now ?? Bandsmans perhaps ? I know there is an all brass 1st pattern Green Howards badge in the Regimental Museum which they attribute to the Band. Regards Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 18-07-11 at 10:33 AM.