British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-19, 06:48 AM

Congratulations Jon

Years in the making that makes life easier for us cloth collectors and history buffs.

I too will order once I save up some funds and it will be worth very penny and would fit alongside my US SSI insignia books.

All the best

cheers

Phill

Last edited by Phill Lockett; 11-01-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 10:47 AM

Jon
Very much looking forward to receiving my copy in due course. You have done a great service to the collecting community over the years you have researched this magnum opus. The trips you have made, hours of research you have spent, collating, sifting, organising and checking content have at last come close to fruition.
The books will prove a fantastic investment for the serious collector/researcher and from the pages I have seen break much new ground. I have no doubt your work will potentially save many collectors from hundreds of pounds of pitfalls - helping keep us on the straight and narrow, and more than paying the price of purchase. It is a book we can not afford to miss.
Congratulations on your mammoth effort, and thanks again.
Mike
Old 11-01-19, 11:24 AM

A good question.

The use of khaki - as you quite rightly say officially drab - was an attempt to encompass the variety of uniforms on which the cloth insignia shown in the book was worn.

The book starts with the adoption of drab Service dress in 1902 then goes on to explain its use in WW1 and the interwar years as many of the badges adopted for battle dress had earlier origins. The wartime use of such the badges then spread to the forces overseas who wore khaki drill and later jungle green, all eventually with most of the same badges worn on battle dress.

It also looks at the use of battle dress by the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and RAF as all later adopted khaki battle dress and versions in their own colours and by the wide variety of civilian organisations which served alongside the armed forces from War Correspondents to Welfare Workers.

To contact me outside the Forum if you have questions email
bob19391967@yahoo.co.uk

Jon
Old 11-01-19, 04:43 PM

Jon, fully understood. I had better start saving ..................... !!

David
Old 11-01-19, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Jon
Very much looking forward to receiving my copy in due course. You have done a great service to the collecting community over the years you have researched this magnum opus. The trips you have made, hours of research you have spent, collating, sifting, organising and checking content have at last come close to fruition.
The books will prove a fantastic investment for the serious collector/researcher and from the pages I have seen break much new ground. I have no doubt your work will potentially save many collectors from hundreds of pounds of pitfalls - helping keep us on the straight and narrow, and more than paying the price of purchase. It is a book we can not afford to miss.
Congratulations on your mammoth effort, and thanks again.
Mike
Could not have put it better my self , these books will become ` land mark` publications for many years to come ..... oh come the day they arrive in my hands a warm fire , a bottle of Irish an a comfy chair - cant come soon enough !
Old 11-01-19, 06:39 PM

I am overwhelmed by the degree of support I am receiving. I only hope my book can live up to your expectations!!

Jon
Old 13-01-19, 11:56 AM

Volume One was on the presses on Friday. Some proof sample pages attached.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forum 1.jpg (52.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Forum 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Forum 3.jpg (58.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 13-01-19, 01:51 PM

Hello Jon
Direct message sent to reserve my copy.
Great to finally see the fruits of your labour I know it has been a very long journey for you and has delved deep into many of the fine collections of the member on this forum and the MHS.
I'm sure it will set a new standard for our hobby, I just need to make some space on my bookshelves which are already at capacity!
Regards
Paul
Old 15-01-19, 09:15 AM

IIRC I contributed? So I really hope that the shipping costs won't be too high because I am really looking forward to it!
Old 28-01-19, 05:03 PM

My thanks again for all the supportive posts re my book.

The presses are now rolling and all is on time for publication at the end of February.

All being well I am planning to be at the Farnham Fair on 3rd March with the military book dealer Tim Harper who will be selling Badges on Battle Dress and I will be happy to sign copies for purchasers.

I will confirm this closer to the date.

Jon
Old 28-01-19, 05:11 PM

Congratulations Jon,

Looks like a sterling job.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-06-19, 09:17 PM

Default Unidentified WW2 Battle Dress Badge

Hi

I am a Newbie who has been directed to this forum by a WW2Talk forum member as I am trying to identify a badge on my dad's WW2 battle dress.

He joined 2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles at the beginning of 1943 and at the end of 1943 was attached to 9th British Infantry Brigade as Camp Commandant/Defence Platoon Commander landing on Sword Queen White on DDay, travelling through France, Belgium and Holland before ultimately becoming a "Town Major" in Bad Oeynhausen in Germany in November 1945 until demobbed in March 1946.

I've attached photos of his battle dress and the badge I am trying to identify is the dark blue triangle under the 9th Brigade stripes?

I am guessing it is something to do with 9th Brigade (Headquarters?) as I have photos which seems to show other officers and ORs from 9 Brigade HQ wearing similar but would appreciate guidance/confirmation from the experts....

Please let me know if this in correct thread and/or should be posted elsewhere.

Thanks.

Quis Separabit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battle Dress 1 - small.jpg (82.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Battle Dress 2 small.jpg (77.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Battle Dress 3 small.jpg (76.1 KB, 13 views)