British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-14, 04:47 PM

Default J.S TYE &CO ltd

For sale on ebay at present Seller is endici[Paul] This is a scarce maker the only example that I have is also on a home counties badge

RegardsDavid
Old 11-01-14, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
For sale on ebay at present Seller is endici[Paul] This is a scarce maker the only example that I have is also on a home counties badge

RegardsDavid
Hi David,

George S. Tye & Company Limited.

Yes, quite rare maker of A/A cap badges; also:

East Anglian Brigade
Edinburgh University OTC
Sheffield University OTC

Regards

Chris
Old 11-01-14, 07:02 AM

The East Anglian Brigade sealed pattern was made by TYE
Old 11-01-14, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The East Anglian Brigade sealed pattern was made by TYE
Hi Mike,

One of the Standard Pattern Cards, dated 22nd June 1958, and held by the Imperial War Museum (and personally handled by myself) has a J.R GAUNT LONDON marked badge attached to it.

Is is however marked, on the rear, Geo S Tye Co Ltd with a date of 14/12/59 and a signature together with an indent number of 3057 which has been crossed through. This signified that the pattern card was lent to the Tye company on the date given above (the written company entry) and later returned to the pattern room (indent number crossed through).

Can you give your reference for the GS Tye Company Ltd example that you have quoted?

Regards

Chris
Old 11-01-14, 08:10 AM

Its one of a number of sealed pattern cards that a good friend has in his collection
Old 12-01-14, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post

RegardsDavid
Seems to have disappeared from Ebay! Can you post a link?

Thanks

William
Old 12-01-14, 09:29 AM

Default Badges

Hi William auction now finished

David
Old 12-01-14, 10:01 AM

Ive noticed that quite a few people have started to list the manufacturer in the listing title or at least on the description ,which helps if you are looking for a specific maker.
Old 12-01-14, 09:48 PM

William
To view the badge go to endici's ebay page, then on the left column click ended listings. I happen to be the winning bidder. Will post for the makers mark section when I receive the badge.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited by sappersson; 12-01-14 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 13-01-14, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappersson View Post
William
To view the badge go to endici's ebay page, then on the left column click ended listings. I happen to be the winning bidder. Will post for the makers mark section when I receive the badge.

Cheers Paul.
Thanks Paul. Got it. You got a bargain - good for you & congratulations on winning the auction.

Best regards

William

Last edited by William; 13-01-14 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 11:24 AM

I have only seen one staybrite badge by G.S.Tye ltd in my time collecting them, what sort of money do they fetch?

Is a rare maker the same as a rare badge, or does the rare maker make the badge rare?

Jerry
Old 10-04-23, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
I have only seen one staybrite badge by G.S.Tye ltd in my time collecting them, what sort of money do they fetch?

Is a rare maker the same as a rare badge, or does the rare maker make the badge rare?
Jerry,

To my knowledge George S Tye & Co Ltd made badges for the following:

East Anglian Brigade
Home Counties Brigade
Edinburgh OTC
Sheffield OTC

The only one i do not have is the East Anglian Bde.

Home Counties is not that rare and can be picked up on E Bay for between £7 and £14.

Edinburgh OTC i have only ever seen 3 or 4 on offer. I paid £30 for mine a couple of years ago.

Sheffield OTC not often seen on offer. I got mine for a bargain price of £4 approx 3 years ago.

Generally i would say that there are several makers who manufactured Staybrite badges in the early days who only made maybe 4 or 5 badges and then the bigger players such as Gaunt and Firmin gained most of the contracts. So the early players such as Tye, Buttons Ltd, Turner & Simpson, Grove Mfg, R.A. Huges and lastly Shaw Munster Group are the manufacturers who are sought after by the serious Anodised Aluminium collectors. As Chris Marsh who wrote the book on AA badge collecting mentioned, a badge is only worth what a collector will pay for it. I have some rare badges in my collection and have paid anything from £7 for a very rare Pioneer Corps with a Tudor Crown to £150 for another badge. Sometimes you get lucky other times you have to pay through the nose if you want it.

There are several 'very rare' badges that i would love to own but know that if they come up i will have to dig deep into my pockets for. One is the wide pattern RAOC and the other i would like is the early Wiltshire Regiment with the AEA Cypher.

Hope this helps answer your question

Regards
Steve
Old 10-04-23, 03:48 PM

GS Tye made both the KC and QC version of the Edinburgh Uni badge . The shield version that is.
Old 10-04-23, 03:56 PM

many thanks Steve, it is the hom e counties that I bought for middle of your suggested price range. I am glad to fill that hole for sensible money, I also got a R.A. Hughes at the same time which ws another maker I did not have. I have to check to see which I still do not have, I think shaw munster might be it.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 11-04-23 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
GS Tye made both the KC and QC version of the Edinburgh Uni badge . The shield version that is.
Mike
Both of mine are QC.
To be honest i never knew that a KC version existed.
Do you have one (or anyone else for that matter) as i would be very interested in seeing a photo (front and back)
Regards
Steve