British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-10, 03:34 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

To follow on from what Steve and Bill are saying, does not a coin have two sides,?

By all means defend a seller who is wrongly under attack for what ever the reason but what about reputable or at least creditable dealers who mis-describe badges to raise the value and despite being told that they are in the wrong, still continue to offer the same goods and other goods under the same description.

Surely a good honest dealer, has nothing to fear from a buyer who is unsure and asks questions, most of the dealers I have bought from are more than willing to discuss any problems that I might have.

In fact, it wasn't too long ago that I posed a doubt I had over an Irish Guards badge that I had bought in good faith ( John M may remember the occasion ), only to be told that this forum was full of people who thought they knew everything but in fact knew nothing, needless to say, I haven't re-visited his site since.

I'm not sure that I know who the dishonest inviduals are that Steve refers to and I am totally against any type of hate compaigns against decent dealers but I do think that we have to have complete clarity when discussing dealers, whom ever they might be and I would expect to be pulled up myself if someone thought I was in the wrong........

Any other thoughts ??

Dave.
Old 10-12-10, 03:48 PM
Mr. Jackanory

And let us not forget the pleasure a good badge gives us when it drops through the Letter box. Or the pleasure when an experienced collector passes a respectful comment over the item now in an album. Remember guys, get out there and look at, pick up, sniff, study and inspect every badge you can be it from a dealer or be it in a museum.
I love this hobby, mad as it might be, and, there are some great guys that I have met or been kindly informed by on here.
Non illegitimae carborundum!!!
Old 10-12-10, 04:25 PM
Badge Guru

Hi Dave,

In none of my posts here did I mention the word 'dealer'. The term seller refers to anyone commercial or none commercial across the board. If someone posts onto one of these eBay threads with a new account......then makes three posts there and never appears on the forum again......what would your conclusion be?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 10-12-10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 04:31 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Jibba, we were lucky starting our collecting in Nottingham. I have just had my Christmas card from 'cap badge' John and will return the season's greetings to him. He was a most kind and generous man with information in my early days of collecting and pointed out many a pitfall to the beginner.
Matti
Old 10-12-10, 04:38 PM

Two thoughts after reading the posts on this thread: First, none of us is as smart as all of us. British badge collecting is a vast field but still is a subset of the vaster field of military insignia collecting. No one can be an expert on everything. I am put off by dealers who tell me something which does not agree with what I have read on this forum. If I have to guess at least I can make a more informed guess as to authenticity. Second, I will play Who Do You Trust until the other person loses what the Chinese call the mandate of heaven. Once it is lost that person will never get it back. No wonder some sellers don't like forums, their mandate disappears much sooner than expected. Finally, Dave, I think I married one of your wife's distant American cousins.

Don
Old 10-12-10, 04:58 PM
Badge Guru

Hi Matti,

I've taken it to PM regarding the badge collecting John.
Old 10-12-10, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Hi Dave,

In none of my posts here did I mention the word 'dealer', so I am not sure what your talking about when you speak of clarity? The term seller refers to anyone commercial or none commercial, thus anyone selling in the public domain. It is more often the none commercial ebay vendors on this particular forum who receive the most attention.

If someone posts onto one of these eBay threads with a new account......then makes three posts there and never appears on the forum again......what would your conclusion be? With refernce to those who refuse to admit who they really are.
Hi Steve,

My apologies for a slight misrepresentation in my writing, I tend to use the word seller and dealer as the same, sometimes seperately but usually in the same context, is a dealer not a seller ?

Neither am I trying to disect what you say literally but more in a general term, as in the dishonest individuals, I have noticed that quite a few new members have made a point, been wrong and have said nothing else, that I would put down to probable embarrassment ??

By clarity, I mean that if a seller/dealer is attacked mistakenly, which happens quite often and someone jumps to the defence of that person, then I also think the reaction to a seller/dealer who is proved wrong, should also be highlighted, with the same intensity !!

What I have noticed on this forum, is that whenever there is a divide between opinions, some members tend to jump in defence of certain people, more because they are friends than because they believe that what is being said/written is incorrect, or they refuse to believe that anything untoward should be said in the first place.

I still have no intention of either opening old wounds nor causing more discomfort for anyone on the forum but I have to point out that one or two members tend to state an opinion and believe in their own minds, that they are the only ones capable of having an opinion in the first place, it is almost unheard of for others to disagree with them ???

Don,

It runs in the family mate and Kath has five sisters and they are all the same, it can be a bit of a pain at family gatherings, that's for sure......

Dave.
Old 10-12-10, 09:40 PM
Former Member

Default Poor Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Steve,

My apologies for a slight misrepresentation in my writing, I tend to use the word seller and dealer as the same, sometimes seperately but usually in the same context, is a dealer not a seller ?

Neither am I trying to disect what you say literally but more in a general term, as in the dishonest individuals, I have noticed that quite a few new members have made a point, been wrong and have said nothing else, that I would put down to probable embarrassment ??

By clarity, I mean that if a seller/dealer is attacked mistakenly, which happens quite often and someone jumps to the defence of that person, then I also think the reaction to a seller/dealer who is proved wrong, should also be highlighted, with the same intensity !!

What I have noticed on this forum, is that whenever there is a divide between opinions, some members tend to jump in defence of certain people, more because they are friends than because they believe that what is being said/written is incorrect, or they refuse to believe that anything untoward should be said in the first place.

I still have no intention of either opening old wounds nor causing more discomfort for anyone on the forum but I have to point out that one or two members tend to state an opinion and believe in their own minds, that they are the only ones capable of having an opinion in the first place, it is almost unheard of for others to disagree with them ???

Don,

It runs in the family mate and Kath has five sisters and they are all the same, it can be a bit of a pain at family gatherings, that's for sure......

Dave.
This is a very interesting thread,,,, I made Mike a promise that I would not single out any seller, dealer or retail outlet on this Forum and will stick by that vow as I think I am an honest person and my word is GOOD!

However this week I feel that I have been "Done Over" by a dealer! We came to an agreement to purchase a badge for £90, it was listed for sale at £100. As a gesture of "Good Will" (no Ebay fees would be incurred) I paid via Paypal and covered the fees, so they got £90.. A day or so later I got what was in my opinion a restrike and promptly informed the seller that I was not happy and sent it back!

I was then informed that I would never be able to buy from this seller again!! Did they honestly think I would waste any more of my "hard earned??"

I did get a partial refund but ended up being £17 out of pocket, just for the pleasue of being sent a WONKY badge!

Who the hell do these sellers think they are? This one is a member of this Forum too, and despite being offered the Gentlemanly option to split the cost (I was more than happy to go half on the postage and fees) as if it had been a genuine badge then it was one I have been after for a while!

My message to members of this Forum is: We now have the sellers "Over a Barrell" gone are the days when they sent out their poorly photocopied lists and charged us for them through the nose". They are now small fish in a very big sea and had better learn how to swim if they are to reach the beach!

If you get a badge that you have even the slightest of doubts about, then post an image on here and get a wider opinion and if it is wrong send it back and ask for your postage as part of the refund too. There are plenty of places to get good badges on the internet! Ebay is my preferred choice!

I am more than willing to support the recommendations to add new sellers to the Forums list! But I feel that those who constantly act in a disgraceful manner and take the "Piss" should be removed just as quickly!

A disgruntled member!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 10-12-10 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 11:06 PM

I think the details explained by Andy in this ' deal ' should be blatantly obvious to the said seller/dealer, was I he, and I felt that no wrong had been done, I would have to, because of my nature, want to defend the accusations........

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 11-12-10 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 12:26 AM

Hi All,

I can only speak for myself ....

I have met nothing but decent people here on the Badge Forum. From Boots n Saddles to Voltigeur, 2747 Andy to Empire Collector (to name a but a few) all have given me solid advice, help and parted with their knowledge to help my enthusiasm to learn.

I think the letter is more to do with his business - as in 'come to me instead' type of thing.

+ Anthony
Old 11-12-10, 01:23 AM

Anthony,

Well said. I concur.

Don
Old 11-12-10, 06:29 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I am more than willing to support the recommendations to add new sellers to the Forums list! But I feel that those who constantly act in a disgraceful manner and take the "Piss" should be removed just as quickly!

A disgruntled member!

Andy
Nicely put Andy.
I have bought a few odd items (and will continue to do so) from yourself and have been 100% satisfied.
I concur with your comments and specifically the one quoted above.

Why are there still forum members on the sellers list that have acted this way? Or are they there 'for life' due - to the PC world we live in.....
I would have thought that this type of conduct is not doing this hobby any good whatsoever. It has certainly curtailed my purchases in a big way.

I would also like to say that I have been more than happy with ALL those people and their items that I have bought via the Forum 'Sales' page. Thank you.

In case I forget..... I would like to wish you everyone else (you know who you are) a good and pleasant (stress-free) Xmas.

I am taking 3 weeks off for the first time in 7 years and may just be able to convince my wife Jennifer that there is more to 'these bits of cloth and metal thingys' than there is to a pair of new curtains...... But as she is from Larne and definitely related to Mrs DaveC, I may need longer...
Old 11-12-10, 12:57 PM

There have been suspicions / allegations in the past that on a certain forum / forums there is collusion between individuals who post faked items for sale & moderators who then endorse them as genuine.
I got mixed up in a situation a few years ago, I asked a question in all innocence about an item for sale & was then savaged on the forum by a number of people - personal insults & threats while moderators ignored my appeals to take people to task for failing to comply with "the rules" by not answering the question & for their behaviour.
Quite a little feeding frenzy, like a pack of rats having a go at me.
The trouble had arisen because of insinuations on a forum which I did'nt belong to that there were dodgy dealings involving this particular seller & a moderator, so their assumption was that I was some kind of agent provocateur from the enemie's camp & deliberately stirring the pot.
Unlike other members of that forum who sent me emails congratulating me on making a stand (unwittingly & about something I did'nt know a lot about) & stating that they did'nt use the PM system because they feared that their messages would be read by moderators & they'd be booted out), I had no hesitation in "leaving" - I moved on to a far better place, a forum which is far more civilised & with members who are'nt as focused on the money involved in our hobby. I keep my membership up at the old place but only visit about twice a year - there are thoroughly decent & very knowledgable people there.

My experience (those alarming words - "let me give you the benefit of my experience") is that it's the WWII German stuff that tends to get the nastiest reaction from those who consider themselves "expert" in the field or blindly support those who they consider are the experts.
Could be this dealer is thinking of those kind of faker / moderator collusions.

On the subject of this particular dealer I've bought a few things from him in the past & for what it's worth, no problems.
Old 11-12-10, 01:25 PM
Administrator

We (mods) can't see pms on here, but we can do a mass delete of sent or received pms - that's an anti spam tool. Same with passwords, can't see them, but can override it with a new one.
Old 11-12-10, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Have deleted the separate dealer page.

Tags
dealers, forums