British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-23, 04:21 PM

Default 2nd MIDLOTHIAN AND PEEBLES-SHIRE RIFLE VOLUNTEERS

Hello fellow collectors! I want to share my latest acquisition and addition to my helmet collection, an office's helmet to the 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers... the images are those of the seller but will repost new pictures when the helmet arrives. I think this is an interesting helmet and a bit of interesting history of the Royal Scots and its associated volunteer battalions. This helmet to an officer of the 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers was in use from about 1881 to 1888 when the battalion was disbanded as the 4th Volunteer Battalion, Royal Scots. I would appreciate all comments and critiques of this helmet.

Regards to all,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg michaeldlong.com-10231724a.jpg (74.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg michaeldlong.com-10231737a.jpg (73.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg michaeldlong.com-10231726a.jpg (75.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg michaeldlong.com-10231735a.jpg (47.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg michaeldlong.com-10231736a.jpg (84.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by YeoHelmetGuy; 26-10-23 at 05:53 PM.
Old 26-10-23, 04:26 PM

Very, very nice!!!

Terry
Old 26-10-23, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Very, very nice!!!

Terry
Hi, Terry... thank you, I'm pretty excited with this, what I think is a very unique find and purchase!!!

David
Old 26-10-23, 04:55 PM

Thanks for showing it. Quite interesting.
Old 26-10-23, 05:41 PM

Very nice.

Peebles though, not Pebbles

Best wishes

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-10-23, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Very nice.

Peebles though, not Pebbles
Best wishes
... thank you for your kind remark regarding this helmet and for pointing out my spelling error... now corrected!!!

Cheers,

David
Old 26-10-23, 05:58 PM

I find it really amazing how an item of this age and consisting of several materials can be preserved in such a perfect state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
... the 2nd Midlothian and Pebbles Rifle Volunteers was in use from about 1881 to 1888 when the battalion was disbanded as the 4th Volunteer Battalion, Royal Scots.
Are you sure about that? My information is that the 2nd Midlothian (Midlothian and Peeblesshire) Rifle Volunteer Corps became a Volunteer Battalion of The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) in 1881 as the 4th in rank (without change of title).
In 1888 it was redesignated as 6th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment.
In 1908 it merged with the 7th VB to form 8th Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment (TF).
(See Midlothian and Peeblesshire Volunteers)

Or am I wrong here?

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 26-10-23, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
Thanks for showing it. Quite interesting.
... thank you for your kind remarks... I am excited to have made this find. I think it is an interesting bit of Royal Scots associated memorabilia that is rarely seen. That said I believe there is an other-ranks helmet plate that looks to be in excellent condition for auction at The Salesroom.com and Paul Laidlaw Auctions on 27-28 October 2023... link below..

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...5-b0a0010c2279

Cheers,

David
Old 26-10-23, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
I find it really amazing how an item of this age and consisting of several materials can be preserved in such a perfect state.

Are you sure about that? My information is that the 2nd Midlothian (Midlothian and Peeblesshire) Rifle Volunteer Corps became a Volunteer Battalion of The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) in 1881 as the 4th in rank (without change of title).
In 1888 it was redesignated as 6th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment.
In 1908 it merged with the 7th VB to form 8th Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment (TF).
(See Midlothian and Peeblesshire Volunteers)

Or am I wrong here?
Hi Henk,

We are both correct... I simply didn't give a lengthier history in my brief historical comment...

"The 2nd Midlothian (Midlothian and Peebles-shire) Rifle Volunteer Corps were what was to become the 4th Volunteer battalion created originally in May 1860 as the 2nd Midlothian Rifle Volunteer Corps in the 1st Administrative Battalion, Midlothian Rifle Volunteers. The 2nd Rifle Corps were headquartered in Dalkeith. In 1863 the Peebles-shire volunteer corps were all regimented, and the 2nd corps were no exception, becoming the new 2nd Peebles-shire Volunteer Rifle Corps. Just ten year later in 1873 the corps were disbanded."

"In 1880 with the new defense agreements the two remaining 1st and 3rd corps were consolidated to form the new 2nd Midlothian (Midlothian and Peebles-shire) Rifle Volunteer Corps. The corps were one of the largest at the time consisting of 11 companies: A-D at Dalkeith from 2nd Corps, E company at Penicuick from 3rd Corps, F at Valleyfield from 3rd Corps, G at Musselburgh from 5th Corps, H at Loanhead from 6th Corps, I and K Companies at Peebles from 1st Corps, and finally L Company at Inverleithen from 3rd Corps. Just one year later the corps were retitled as the 4th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots. Although the battalion had a long lineage it was finally disbanded, for the second time, in 1888 when it was re-titled as the 6th Volunteer Battalion."

Regards,

David
Old 26-10-23, 07:37 PM

I disagree with
Quote:
Just one year later the corps were retitled as the 4th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots.
Rifle Volunteer Corps became volunteer battalions of the regular regiments in 1881 and had a sequence with their regiment. But they were not retitled.

Retitling came later. And each regiment had their own moment for that. The first did it already in 1882 if I remember correctly. And the Royal Scots were rather late with 1888 (according to Westlake by General Order 144 of April 1888). It was just a retitling, no disbanding involved whatsoever.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages