British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-16, 01:07 PM

Default Found a Button which says "Constabulary " on the Front and E Jones on the Back

Found a button this morning which says " Constabulary " on the front and E Jones Cork Hill Dublin on the back , does anyone have any info on it
Old 08-09-16, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi JJ2, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
An image of the button would be helpful.
Old 08-09-16, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi JJ2, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
An image of the button would be helpful.
Will post an image later only found the button 3 hours ago and i am not at home at the moment
Old 08-09-16, 01:43 PM

Hello JJ2

From your description it might just be a civilian police button in which case try putting your query in the "Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc" category on this forum. Some police collectors may not read threads on military buttons.

Roger
Old 08-09-16, 02:10 PM

Image of button found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160908_143904.jpg (35.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-09-16, 02:51 PM

Image of makers name on the back of the button
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160908_143954.jpg (36.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-09-16, 03:12 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello JJ2
Some police collectors may not read threads on military buttons.

Roger
Hi Roger

This one does!

JJ2 - Did you find it in Ireland? It looks very much like the first pattern Constabulary Of Ireland button. If so, it would have had a crown in the centre - maybe worn/corroded away now?

If you found it in GB then possibly an early generic pattern police button but the backmark would still suggest C of I.

David

PS..... does it appear to be brass? The first pattern C of I buttons were brass.

Last edited by davidwyke; 08-09-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-09-16, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hi Roger

This one does!

JJ2 - Did you find it in Ireland? It looks very much like the first pattern Constabulary Of Ireland button. If so, it would have had a crown in the centre - maybe worn/corroded away now?

If you found it in GB then probably an early generic pattern police button.

David
The button was found in county Laois Ireland . When you say "Constabulary of Ireland " do you mean the RIC or an earlier police force
Old 08-09-16, 04:26 PM

Hello David

Nice to hear from you again.

The found button does indeed look like the early Irish Constabulary pattern illustrated in Howard Ripley's 'Police Buttons; Volume 2" - illustration 62, described as brass, open backed.

I think you are right, there is/was a crown in the centre, now heavily corroded. The button in the photo seems to be to one side and perhaps its my imagination but when viewed the right way up I can just see the outline of a crown.

Roger
Old 08-09-16, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
The button was found in county Laois Ireland . When you say "Constabulary of Ireland " do you mean the RIC or an earlier police force
Earlier than the RIC.

Constabulary of Ireland (also known as the Irish Constabulary) was formed mid 1830's and became RIC c. 1867. (I'm guessing at the dates there).

The button you have was, I think, worn from the formation of the force.

David
Old 08-09-16, 07:54 PM

I've been doing some reading and apparently each county had its own individual County Constabulary between 1822 and 1834 , these County Constabularies were controlled by the local magistrates who had the power to hirer and firer the Constables with very little control by Dublin Castle . I wonder did each county have different uniforms and button designs
Old 09-09-16, 12:09 PM

Been doing more research and apparently the County Constables wore a mix of military style uniforms until 1828 when standard uniform was adopted for All County Constables in Ireland . I understand from earlier post on this forum that Edward Jones was a military button maker at cork hill Dublin from 1815 to 1832. Any new info would greatly appreciated
Old 09-09-16, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
Been doing more research and apparently the County Constables wore a mix of military style uniforms until 1828 when standard uniform was adopted for All County Constables in Ireland . I understand from earlier post on this forum that Edward Jones was a military button maker at cork hill Dublin from 1815 to 1832. Any new info would greatly appreciated
Nothing more than a guess but when the Constabulary Of Ireland was formed mid 1830's, they may well have just continued wearing the same buttons as worn on the post 1828 standard uniforms by the County Constables. It's also possible the same buttons may have been worn pre 1828, really don't know to be honest.

David
Old 09-09-16, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Nothing more than a guess but when the Constabulary Of Ireland was formed mid 1830's, they may well have just continued wearing the same buttons as worn on the post 1828 standard uniforms by the County Constables. It's also possible the same buttons may have been worn pre 1828, really don't know to be honest.

David
David these two Irish Constabulary Buttons 1850's - 1860's found on farmland in Carlow and Laois are the closest match to mine online , but when you look at the images of the back of these two buttons the rim of these buttons seems much much thicker than my button
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-Irish_Const_Buttons_X_2.jpg (24.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-Irish_Const_Buttons_X_2_a.jpg (23.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-09-16, 07:20 PM

See attached photo of headdress badge and buttons for the Constabulary of Ireland.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6352.jpg (93.9 KB, 31 views)