British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-08, 01:40 PM

Default 51 canvas flashes

For all you Canadian shopulder flash collectors there is an ebay listing with 51 canvas flashes on for the next 2 days. The bid is at $1,233 right now. It looks to be almost an instant collection. I'll try and copy and paste .
Old 30-03-08, 01:42 PM

Looks like that didn't work... the ebay number is 220215131165... enjoy
Old 30-03-08, 04:02 PM

Talking bgpipes

It took me the better part of 20 years to put that together, now the trick is to get their embroidered counterparts, then the slip-ons they might have replaced, it never seems to end eh Bill A?
Old 30-03-08, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pilgrimage...

It is a bit like a pilgrimage. One starts out collecting cap badges to, say, the WW2 divisions... and nearly 30 years later you are counting stitches, looking at miniscule marks on the backs of badges...
That canvas accumulation looks great. I hope the titles can be taken off the material without damage. Instant collection, but it is more likely to go to a dealer...
Old 30-03-08, 04:47 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default canvas Flashes

That collection has some nice flashes in there but not an instant collection by any means. I have over 70 of these and mine is far from complete,but never the less an instant start. Ray
Old 30-03-08, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting point Ray. What is a collection? Does one have to have all the items to make a collection? Not sure there is an answer to this, but it raises some good questions.
Old 30-03-08, 06:59 PM

This is an interesting thought. I look at it this way. If you acquire them all (whatever it is you collect) then you have a COMPLETE collection. Everyone that has more than 2 of whatever has a collection. From these two points it's just a matter of what degree you wish to get to to make yourself happy. I feel the pursuit of the goal is just as important as the final destination. If it takes me 30 years to complete what i want to collect then i guess i get 30 years of pleasure doing it. The satisfaction and joy of finding a hard to acquire item is a big part of the hobby. My collection is MY collection and I'm happy with it whatever state it's in. If a collector can catch 51 canvas badges at one swoop and then advance it from there and have pleasure doing it then I'm all for it. (I guess they'll just miss the 51 thrills of catching them one at a time). This is not to say I'm not thinking awful hard about bidding on those badges because it's probably a once in a lifetime deal. Thanks for listening and am looking forward to other comments... Jim
Old 30-03-08, 07:32 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default collection

Yes Jim getting one that you need is the big trill and I've had many but I've always had the desire to have the whole thing. My pleasue is in viewing the complete thing whether it's mine or someone else's . I had quite a few Field service caps at one time but knew that it was impossible to get them all especially with my finances so I sold them to a friend of mine from Edmonton,I believe it was Cliff that put me onto him. Another friend of mine put me onto Cliff as a person that could answer some questions I had about caps.I believe the Cliff I see here is the same fellow,I recognize the name Service Pub. Cliff do you know Gopher Hole? Ha . To me these caps have to be the most beautiful of any military items. (but that's a matter of opinion too) Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 30-03-08 at 08:17 PM.

Tags
canvas, collection