British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-13, 02:52 AM

Default ALI Tank rhodium plated?

Hi

A recent purchase by myself but when it arrived, I felt there were problems. The vendor has been kind enough to allow me to return it but we both agreed that a Forum opinion would be respected.

My concern is that the lugs show no actual part between the wire down from the loops and that the lugs do not look like the were separately attached (mainly at the feet). Would this be cast with the lugs included or did perhaps the plating cover the part and make the lug attachment point look as it does?

The badge is entirely rhodium plated and otherwise fits the bill I've come to know.

If anyone had thoughts /reasons to share, I'd be interested as I would love to be able to keep this badge.

Thanks.

regards
Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0753.jpg (93.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0752.JPG (92.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.JPG (58.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750.JPG (70.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 26-12-13, 05:36 AM

Keep it. There is nothing wrong with this badge. A lot were rhodium plated.
Old 26-12-13, 04:49 PM

I think that the plating would obscure any differences in the metals - badge, solder, lugs.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-12-13, 05:05 PM

Default hmmm.

Hi Darrell,

I agree with David and Phil, the plating would obscure the solder at the base of the lugs, so that is not a concern.

Here are photos of mine, it's up in a frame now so I can't easily get a sige view shot of the lugs. But I do have an older photo showing the back. Note it is not completely plated on the back. I have also seen another one similar to this in recent years. The plating does go up the lugs though.

My concern about your badge is that it does not appear to be as crisp and sharp in detail as mine (lettering in the annulus particularly)? Which would be one indication of a cast copy... Does the plating on this badge appear worn? Perhaps the plating was done after the badge had been worn for some time. I am not aware of any copies of this badge that have the word 'TANK' show through to the back. Not sure what to think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArgyllTank.jpg (106.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ArgyllTank2.jpg (59.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 26-12-13, 05:59 PM

Hi Fellas

Thank you for your input.

Phillip, that is my concern. The fact that the lugs appear to be part of a casting because of no visible spaces between the wires of the lug at the bottom of the loop and at the feet may derive from the plating or it may not.

Bill, thanks for the pics but it's hard to see on yours what troubles me on mine. As for the crispness of the badge, it's actually quite good. The flash and my ACDsee auto-image may account for what you're seeing as less sharp.

This badge is completely plated all over front and back. Who has one like that? Many are not completely plated on the rear.

I should mention the Vendor is a member here and has been most accommodating in my concerns. As I said, we're both happy to take a Forum concensus and my preference is to keep the badge if it's deemed worthy.

Thanks.

regards
Darrell
Old 26-12-13, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all, As a ""Tank" regiment, the ALI were supposed to have white metal badges, but after the dies were altered adding the TANK tablet, the badges had been struck/cast in brass. The solution was to plate the badges.
My ALI Tank badge, which was handed to me from a vet of the unit, is the same as the one Bill has shown us. It is rhodium plated (which has a blueish tint), and as shown, the back of the badge is not thickly plated. The lugs are plated, and one appears to be "fused". I agree with David, Darrell's badge is good.
Old 26-12-13, 07:58 PM

Default Comparisons

Darrell, I have uploaded an album with detail photos of my badge for comparison.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2147

Bill.
Old 26-12-13, 07:58 PM

If you are really unsure, though I see no reason to be myself, as I can see a gap under one of the lugs, take an X-acto or Olfa knife & scrape the plating off the base of the lug. You'll find the bronze braze under there I'm sure.
Old 26-12-13, 09:23 PM

Default ALI TANK rhodium plated.....

All:
I have found this thread to be extremely interesting, and can appreciate the hesitation expressed by Darrell, especially as the ALI TANK badge is what can be considered a "rare"/valuable badge.
For what it is worth, from the pics shown, I believe that the badge is genuine-the stampings both front and rear are sufficiently crisp, and the lugs are factory installed, and not cast, as has been seen on other badges.
Although the lug posts appear fused, I think this is only the braze running up the post of the lug, thereby sealing both sides of the lug, and is not indicative of the lugs being cast.
The rhodium plated TANK badge in itself I find interesting.
I have in my collection, an ALI TANK badge made in WM, with factory installed brass lugs same style as on Darrells` badge. I have always considered it as the "proper" TANK badge, as explained so well by Bill A, but where the rhodium plated badge fits into the equation seems to be the question of the day!
My theory is as follows- for some unknown reason, the powers that be authorized manufacture of the brass issue ALI TANK badge, but as Bill A points out, being a tank unit, the badges should have been made in WM, to conform with the norm of the time. Perhaps the CO of the unit, or someone at higher HQ was made aware of the mistake, and the easiest way to "correct" this was to take the brass badges and get them plated in rhodium. This might then have been an acceptable/practical way to utilize the existing brass/rhodium badges, at least until ALI TANK badges could be made from the proper WM, when the b/r badges had been used up. I think that my WM badge, being made in WM, could well be from this later order of ALI TANK badges, if such an order was made later in the war.
Before this thread, I had considered the rhodium plated ALI TANK badges to be band/pipers issues, but I now believe that the above theory may well be closer to reality. Perhaps in the future, documentation will surface to support this.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 27-12-13, 03:36 AM

I'm curious as to why the "Tank" badges should all be in white metal?
Of the six Tank regiments:

Calgary Regiment - bimetal
Ontario Regiment - brass
Essex Regiment - white metal
Argyll Light Infantry - brass and white metal
Three Rivers Regiment - bimetal
NewBrunswick Regiment - brass/bronze

I don't see a pattern of white metal badges for these regiments.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 27-12-13, 04:52 AM

Hi

Gentlemen, thank you for your time and effort in responding.

Very helpful comparison photos in your album, Bill.

I think John has it and the more I look at it, I agree that what was concerning me was the brazing or plating filling the gaps I expected to see.

David, you can appreciate that while I still have the option of returning the badge, I would be hesitant about damaging or altering it from the state I received it in. Bill A, thanks for that re-inforcing data.

In the end, I will contact the vendor and be hanging on to this one.

Thank you all again for your helpfulness in this.

regards
Darrell
Old 27-12-13, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil, The tradition associated with armoured regiments was that the badges were to be white metal. Not a hard and fast rule, but a practice.
Old 15-01-14, 02:18 AM

A little late in the conversation but, I have a brass badge with the proper indentation TANK on the reverse. Would this then be called a copy / repro? Just because its not white metal or platted? Thanks guys
Old 15-01-14, 03:11 AM

Not a copy, if you can read TANKS from the back. Consider it the 'pre-plated' version and count yourself lucky '-)
Old 15-01-14, 09:35 AM

Thanks David. Would it be wise then to get it plated or best to leave alone?