British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-03-20, 04:48 PM

Default RFC Gold Wire badge

This of interest to anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200324_125828.jpg (42.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20200324_125846.jpg (44.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 27-03-20, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hello kurt, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for replies.
Old 29-03-20, 08:49 AM

Odd looking badge, from the photographs, I would think it is not contemporary to the period that the RFC was extant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
This of interest to anyone?
Old 29-03-20, 11:16 PM

It looks like the wings badge worn on RFC full dress (and possibly mess dress, but I’m unsure) from 1912. The style of the uniform was very similar to that of the AOC i.e. blue with scarlet facings, but no headdress was authorised other than the coloured universal forage cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0C58EC59-7752-4811-B2A6-B9B2110D976B.jpeg (23.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpeg F139AF6B-3CCE-44F4-B66F-8E50738D5AA6.jpeg (56.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 29-03-20 at 11:33 PM.
Old 30-03-20, 07:39 AM

Hi
These wings appear pretty modern , and are not period.
Regards
Steve
Old 30-03-20, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
Hi
These wings appear pretty modern , and are not period.
Regards
Steve
On what basis? They are not the usual worsted thread wings worn on service dress. They are bullion wire wings intended for full dress. I imagine that few were ever bought, they would have been a prewar item with no one needing them after 1914. As full dress private purchase items there would also have been minor manufacturers variations between the different military outfitters. This was a period of handcrafted manufacture with embroidery companies producing badges to a design, but with inevitable small differences between individual embroiderers.
Old 31-03-20, 08:44 AM

Both the materials used and the manufacture post date the period the RFC was extant.
The flying badge worn by officers in Home Service Full Dress was gilt on copper or silver gilt rather than embroidered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
On what basis? They are not the usual worsted thread wings worn on service dress. They are bullion wire wings intended for full dress. I imagine that few were ever bought, they would have been a prewar item with no one needing them after 1914. As full dress private purchase items there would also have been minor manufacturers variations between the different military outfitters. This was a period of handcrafted manufacture with embroidery companies producing badges to a design, but with inevitable small differences between individual embroiderers.
Old 04-04-20, 03:40 PM

Hi and thank you to everyone for all of your replies. I have looked at it under a jewellers loupe and it definitely looks like some kind of gold plated wire as you can see where some of it has worn off I will try to get better pictures.
Old 08-04-20, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Both the materials used and the manufacture post date the period the RFC was extant.
The flying badge worn by officers in Home Service Full Dress was gilt on copper or silver gilt rather than embroidered.
I’m aware of the gilding metal wings to which you refer Frank, but I’ve seen bullion wire RFC wings in both, the Museum of Army Flying (I was based at SAAvn) and the RAF Museum at Hendon. Perhaps they were worn on mess dress, and or blue patrol uniform, but they certainly existed. In the large group photo that I enclose they appear dull (because they are tarnished) at bottom centre. Also a single one from a collection with good provenance in the US Space and Air Museum.
Old 09-04-20, 08:32 AM

None of the badges you show are remotely like the badge which is the subject of this thread.
I would say, just from the photograph, that the single one actually post dates the period that the RFC was extant.
Regarding Mess dress, a half size mercurial gilt on copper or silver badge was worn, regarding Patrol Dress, a full size bullion badge was worn.

Quote:
I’m aware of the gilding metal wings to which you refer Frank, but I’ve seen bullion wire RFC wings in both, the Museum of Army Flying (I was based at SAAvn) and the RAF Museum at Hendon. Perhaps they were worn on mess dress, and or blue patrol uniform, but they certainly existed. In the large group photo that I enclose they appear dull (because they are tarnished) at bottom centre. Also a single one from a collection with good provenance in the US Space and Air Museum.
Old 09-04-20, 09:37 AM

Quote:
None of the badges you show are remotely like the badge which is the subject of this thread.
I would say, just from the photograph, that the single one actually post dates the period that the RFC was extant.
Regarding Mess dress, a half size mercurial gilt on copper or silver badge was worn, regarding Patrol Dress, a full size bullion badge was worn.
Isn’t that a full size badge that was originally posted? I had thought that it was. I agree that the various bullion wire badges appear different, but that was quite normal for all bullion badges to have variations when there were different embroiderers involved. That is the case even now, although less so in those companies where computer controlled stitching programmes are utilised.
Old 09-04-20, 07:34 PM

No, it appears not to be, given the photographs, but, the materials used are clearly very different when compared with the badges you show in your previous post.

Quote:
Isn’t that a full size badge that was originally posted? I had thought that it was. I agree that the various bullion wire badges appear different, but that was quite normal for all bullion badges to have variations when there were different embroiderers involved. That is the case even now, although less so in those companies where computer controlled stitching programmes are utilised.
Old 09-04-20, 08:36 PM

Quote:
No, it appears not to be, given the photographs, but, the materials used are clearly very different when compared with the badges you show in your previous post.
If it’s not full sized then I don’t know what it is, but different materials are not significant for that time. Just different embroiderers.
Old 10-04-20, 08:31 AM

To be quite honest I do think that anyone who actually collects badges would be of the opinion that the way a particular badge is made and the materials used, is in fact, of very great significance, in particular, when avoiding spurious examples.
I would say, based solely upon the photographs you show in post nine, that the bullion embroidered badges are all of pre 1939 manufacture and that there is very little in the way of variation with regards to both the method and the materials used.

Quote:
If it’s not full sized then I don’t know what it is, but different materials are not significant for that time. Just different embroiderers.