British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-23, 04:07 PM

Exclamation Real or Fake LRDG flag/banner?

Hello all,

This banner/flag is up for auction. It has some features that may make it real (although I'm far from certain, and would like your advice). The stitching seems to have some affinity to WW2 type stitching, and there's no broad arrow, however there is a year stamp and LRDG stamp (never seen THAT before).

What's your take on that?

Cheers
Old 24-03-23, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I would avoid anything like this. As an aside why would there be a WD arrow on such an item? It was not issued so no arrow.

A year stamp and LRDG stamp - are there any unicorn hoofprints or maps to the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow as well? Seriously don't waste your money.

Last edited by Alan O; 24-03-23 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 24-03-23, 06:55 PM

Default Link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304849313...mis&media=COPY

The seller is vongold a well known and successful forger and embellisher of militaria. A search of that name on here will reveal all you need to know.

Entirely agree with Alan’s assessment.
Old 24-03-23, 07:41 PM

A complete fantasy piece. Sadly, virtually everything LRDG is fake these days, making it an essentially uncollectable subject.

CB
Old 24-03-23, 07:44 PM

8 bidders (so far).
Fools and their money . . . . .etc
Old 24-03-23, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
A complete fantasy piece. Sadly, virtually everything LRDG is fake these days, making it an essentially uncollectable subject.

CB
I do own an original LRDG badge I managed to snag a while back. Other stuff is always suspect, I agree.
Old 25-03-23, 02:10 AM

vongold. He has a 99.6% positive feedback on eBay so he must be honest.
The description sounds realistic and it does have 36 bids so they must be people who know it is genuine.
Maybe you should buy it.
"Not every man can have wisdom. Stupid people have to exist too, because if everyone was wise, then there would be so much good sense in the world that every other person would be driven crazy by it."
— Josef Švejk
Old 25-03-23, 06:49 AM

The seller appears to have a stenciling kit and a lot of flags but not a great deal of background knowledge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1942-WW2-...p2047675.l2557

The '4th Y&L' hadn't been titled as such since they dropped the number 4 in 1925 when King George V recognised their service in WW1 by allowing them the title of Hallamshire Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. There's no way any item would turn up marked 4th Y&L with a date of 1942 and some unwitting person paid £97 for it.

In the same way his 1942 dated 5th Y&L flags (to my knowledge 3 sold in the last year) are fakes. The 5th Y&L were converted to an Artillery Regiment in 1936 and didn't even exist in 1942.

Ivan
Old 25-03-23, 08:34 AM

The seller is a well known purveyor of fake/fantasy items.

Vongold and the many other names he uses is to be avoided.
Old 25-03-23, 08:49 AM

Now at £239 with 36 bids!!!

Terry
Old 25-03-23, 08:55 AM

Default EBay

The medal forum works excellently for this type of situation but some get really uptight on here if you post a question about a live auction. Not everybody has the knowledge and we are learnt what we know. My advice is if you suspect something is wrong keep asking. Ps Vongold is a well known faker agree with the comments of others.
Old 25-03-23, 10:47 AM

obviously the seller has mixed his vehicles up

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/2076...-trident-1938/
Old 25-03-23, 01:35 PM

This is one of multiple LRDG flags this seller has sold and a simple sold items search reveals them, so why do people part with their money so easily? Am I the only tight arse who researchers stuff before parting with my cash.
I used to feel sorry for them but now I think if they can't even do a simple internet search which takes zero physical effort, then they are foolish

Last edited by gary1666; 26-03-23 at 01:50 PM.
Old 25-03-23, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Gary

I totally agree but as they say a fool and his money are soon parted: these seems apt fr a huge number of idiots who buy fake SF items. I think ST collecting often attracts a certain type of person; the sort of persons whose numbers exceed the sensible collector.
Old 26-03-23, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Gary

I totally agree but as they say a fool and his money are soon parted: these seems apt fr a huge number of idiots who buy fake SF items. I think ST collecting often attracts a certain type of person; the sort of persons whose numbers exceed the sensible collector.
Speaking of, one of his other LRDG banners, with a skull variety on it, sold a couple of months ago for a whopping £1,350. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Tags
fakes, lrdg