British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-23, 06:52 AM

This might be of interest.
P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4C73098-8C9C-47EB-99C9-CF5A65D3452B.jpg (45.6 KB, 23 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-03-23, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Fascinating photos. I have always been amazed at the small stature and build of boys and men back then. I am not sure the RSM was actually all that big; just that the boys size reflect the times and their class.
I have collected pre WW1 uniforms for fifty years and have yet to own or see any that would fit my modest 40 inch chest size. Officer uniforms sometimes come close, but not OR. Such a size or more did of course exist, but were few indeed.
I knew a dealer/collector from years ago who used to state that the old British Army were all midgets...

CB
Malnutrition was a significant national problem that came to public prominence during the 2nd Anglo/Boer War 1899-1902, when significant numbers of volunteers and ‘embodied’ (mobilised) militia men failed to meet minimum medical standards for a recruit. The subsequent interdepartmental committee report revealed the appalling state of men stunted by lack of nutrition and an unhealthy lifestyle. See: https://history.port.ac.uk/?p=2264
This was largely why uniforms were so small. Things had changed only a little by the year 1914 and by 1917-18 the appearance of British recruits alongside Canadians, ANZACs and eventually Americans was a profound embarrassment as Britain scraped the bottom of its barrel after 3-years of attritional, industrial scale slaughter. Despite that massive National effort apparently slightly less than a quarter of all the nation’s men “of military age” ever served in uniform with around 20% of them KIA and another 20% maimed to some degree.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 17-03-23 at 10:30 AM.
Old 17-03-23, 08:34 PM

Thanks for that Toby. Fascinating aspect of old Britain in that report. Many today are unaware of the socio economic conditions of the 19th and early 20th centuries that contributed to this. As I touched upon, officers tended to be of much better physical condition due to their class than the ranks were, and this is reflected in the surviving uniforms of the period.

CB
Old 17-03-23, 08:47 PM

Nice photograph Peter
Billyh
Old 17-03-23, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Good Evening,
I can't make my my mind up if these young gents are band and or cadets. Any thoughts?
Billyh
Your Photo fits with Seaforth Bks , this will make it post 1910
Paul
Old 17-03-23, 09:45 PM

The main gate of Seaforth Barracks

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0431AB1-2A3B-49F1-9817-BE568522328E.jpeg (55.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-03-23, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
P.
Thank you for that wonderful photo Peter, it is indeed of great interest, and your sharing it sincerely appreciated. I’m sorry that I did not spot your reply at first.
Best wishes,
Toby
Old 17-03-23, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Paul
Interestingly before Seaforth Barracks was handed over to the King’s Regiment it had previously been one of several depots of the Royal Garrison Artillery and most significantly in the context of this thread was where they trained collectively their Boy Trumpeters, one of the very first Boy establishments. Subsequently all the branches of the artillery combined and collocated their Boy Trumpeters training at Woolwich and later still Larkhill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 708DCD9C-8399-40FC-A408-6E7F6538EB69.jpg (64.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 17-03-23 at 11:55 PM.
Old 17-03-23, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Interestingly before Seaforth Barracks was handed over to the King’s Regiment it had previously been one of several depots of the Royal Garrison Artillery and most significantly in the context of this thread was where they trained collectively their Boy Trumpeters, one of the very first Boy establishments. Subsequently all the branches of the artillery combined and collocated their Boy Trumpeters training at Woolwich and later still Larkhill.
Yes, but the Boys/cadets are clearly KLR badged, I agree the barracks did not only serve as a depot to the KLR before during and after they were there
Old 18-03-23, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the Boys/cadets are clearly KLR badged, I agree the barracks did not only serve as a depot to the KLR before during and after they were there
I wasn’t suggesting different Paul, I don’t think. My intent was really just to point out the interesting fact that Seaforth Barracks had coincidentally had one of the earliest Boy establishments before the barracks was handed to the King’s. At that time each infantry battalion and cavalry regiment trained its own boys in very small groups, whereas the Royal Artillery branches were the very first to do things differently and achieve an economy of scale by training their Boy entrants centrally. Eventually all the arms that recruited boys followed suit.
Old 18-03-23, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Thanks for that Toby. Fascinating aspect of old Britain in that report. Many today are unaware of the socio economic conditions of the 19th and early 20th centuries that contributed to this. As I touched upon, officers tended to be of much better physical condition due to their class than the ranks were, and this is reflected in the surviving uniforms of the period.

CB
Yes that the officer situation was different is quite well known I think, as of course their diet had been so much better. In general they tended to be significantly taller, but photos indicate that they were often wiry and slender and seldom it seems well muscled. Most of their surviving uniforms reflect this.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 21-03-23 at 09:31 AM.
Old 18-03-23, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Paul
Thanks Paul. Nice piece of detective work
Billyh