British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-23, 07:31 PM

Default Loyal North Lancashire cap/collar

Took a punt on this looks like slidered collar no sign of lugs being fitted I am thinking first war emergency issue
IMG_20230308_192339.jpgIMG_20230308_192527.jpg
Old 08-03-23, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

No it's not unless there are any photos to the contrary. There are however photos of this badge being worn on the side of Foreign Service Helmets which might be an option.

I have sen some modern copies of this badge with modern sliders which are unlike yours.
Old 08-03-23, 07:44 PM

I have to say it looked better in the eBay listing on the back.

Highly doubt wartime emergency issue.

Like Alan I was thinking along lines of FSH also but hadn’t seen a photo.
Old 09-03-23, 01:18 AM

Would certainly like to see a photo of this badge in wear on the FSH. I have seen the normal cap badge used for this, but not the badge in question.

CB
Old 09-03-23, 06:35 PM

Thanks chaps most likely a FSH then unless somebody knows different
Old 09-03-23, 09:01 PM

I would certainly hesitate to label it for the FSH. It is all too common to use this as a default for unidentified badges sporting a slider.

CB
Old 09-03-23, 10:21 PM

Default VTC?

There could be a possibility that this was issued to the VTC, it's die struck as opposed to being die cast and as Neil says first war emergency issue.

Rob
Old 24-06-23, 03:45 PM

Bosley’s have just listed one, they attribute it as an officers pagri.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7837.jpg (44.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 24-06-23, 10:19 PM

I think Bosleys is falling into the usual default for such badges. I can find 0 evidence of this badge in wear. I have seen photos with the standard cap badge in wear on the white FSH, not this collar badge type.

CB
Old 25-06-23, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

If it was an officers' pagri then I would expect it to be gilded and pinned. I would agree that there is a lack of evidence as it its wear.
Old 25-06-23, 05:46 PM

I agree the officers attribution is especially perplexing.
Old 25-06-23, 07:13 PM

Image of a painted photo from Regiment magazine, I’m sure this photo is in the Lancashire Infantry Museum at Fulwood Bks
Badge on helmet is scrolled collar type badge
These badges don’t turn up too often probably because they aren’t spoke about too much for the fakers but with Bosleys description this may well change
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7407.jpg (68.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 26-06-23, 02:58 AM

After craning my neck sideways for the longest time and magnifying the image, the badge does APPEAR to be as the badge in question; I emphasize appear.
I would certainly hope that this illustration would settle the matter, however, speaking for myself, I am not completely convinced that it does.
The details of the badge are simply not clear enough to make a definitive determination. The painting process has distorted the details to such an extent that just the general outline seems to conform to the badge in question and may even be an error by the painter who may not have known or could clearly see the proper design and copied the collar badge shape during the process of color enhancement.
Such photo enhancements are notorious for inaccuracies.

CB

PS, I might add that if this photo was not identified, it would be very difficult to determine the regiment shown. The details of the collar badges and even the belt buckle are impossible to distinguish.

Last edited by cbuehler; 26-06-23 at 03:35 AM.
Old 26-06-23, 05:52 AM

The image is a photo of a photo in a published magazine, a copy of which I gave to a friend whom kindly sent me the image by text which I then posted here so unfortunately the detail will struggle to be as good as it is viewing it from the Magazine neither me or my friend professional photographers
No intention of causing injury was made due to the orientation of the image which was posted in all expectation to be upright
Old 26-06-23, 02:54 PM

No injury taken! At any rate, can the badge definitely be identified as the one in question from the magazine image?
If positive, it would confirm at least that the collar badge design was worn by ORs of the mounted company in SA, but we do not know what the fixture on back is of course. Hard to believe they would have had a special run of badges with sliders made up at that time for a small group such as this.
It would also disprove the officer pagri badge idea.

CB