British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-24, 01:10 PM

Default Junior Parachute Company

I'm bringing new life in an old discussion : often you see these wings identified as "Junior Parachute Company", yet sometimes you can also see them as "The Parachute Regiment". Now, I'm aware that these wings were most probably never worn by the Parachute Regiment on their N°2 dress (just like some other coloured wings have never been seen on N°2 dresses). But, I've also been told that the Junior Parachute Company parawings were made of silk and B&T 1 confirmed this on page 161.
So here is such a silk wing compared to the others. My question is : are the three others, which looks like they were made for a N°2 dress, simply fantasies or were they made for a purpose?
Cheers,
Alain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (62.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.jpg (51.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (46.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (43.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-02-24, 02:41 PM

May be of use.
Marc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtp6mkndH2U
Old 24-02-24, 04:12 PM

Default JPC Para Wings

As stated in the youtube video link junior soldiers were not allowed to do any military parachute training or jumps and to the best of my knowledge no "parachute" wing was ever produced for them. However the JPC had its own Pegasus Gymnastic Team which wore the "silk" like para wing on the chest of their maroon vests. Not sure of the dates of the team but it had been disbanded by 1980.
Attached is my example of the JPC wing taken from one of the vests circa 1980/1 in Aldershot when the Depot Para & AB Forces was in Browning Barracks.
Up until the release of Bragg and Turners 1st book on wings in 1979(?) which showed a JPC wing No. 17 Plate 2, I had not come across any other JPC wings and I believe, but have no proof, that its inclusion in their book initiated the production of the "felt" material varieties which mimiced British operational parachute wings since that there was no mention in the book of the construction of the JPC wing. As far as I know the felt variants have never been worn by the JPC or any other unit and were solely produced for the collectors market.
Hope that helps.
Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240224_154337.jpg (44.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240224_154402.jpg (38.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 24-02-24, 05:09 PM

I agree with what Dean has said regarding the JPC. If my memory is correct that once they had finished in the juniors they joined adult platoons to undergo "P" company and then the remainder of adult training.
The Frank Hilton book mentions which week the ex juniors join the adults.
Old 24-02-24, 07:20 PM

I didn't see any Junior Parachute Regiment members wear these at the Guards Depot Pirbright, when they trained there.
Andy
Old 27-02-24, 09:50 AM

Thanks a lot all for the info, I appreciate it.
On B&T 1, they do mention it was made in silk on page 161 - plate descriptions.
As for wear, I only have one picture of a guy wearing it on the chest of his sportsoutfit. I don't think I can post it here because of copyright.
Cheers,
Alain