British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-08, 02:24 PM

Default York Rangers

I am interested in and enjoy every badge I own. But as I look through my collection there are a few that stand out as great badges.( design, shape ,size,construction material etc). The York Rangers has always been one of those for me. Hope the picture turns out.
Old 03-02-08, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Motif

Hi Jim, It is amazing to see all of the different motifs that were used on badges. The York Rangers with the roaring lion is an excellent example of the artistry that went into the design of badges. Too bad we will never likely know who the actual artisans were.

Research and study of the design is an interesting area. Frequently the symbolism is lost on collectors. Each design had significance. Perhaps we should be explaining the symbolism of the badge design as a topic? What do others think?

Great image Jim. How did you take it?
Old 03-02-08, 03:29 PM

Bill.... Thanks for your comments... the photography part has become very easy since I did a couple of things... first I went downstairs and dug out my old spotting scope tripod. It's a small tripod and my digital camera screws right onto it with no problems. No more shakiness. Next I dug out the camera instruction manual.. I found out my camera has a MACRO function and it was just a matter of turning it on.... I now use a plain sheet of white paper as a backround but under it I place a small cardboard box which I punch holes in for the badge lugs... this way the badge lays flat.. to take the picture I just zoom in till the viewfinder is full .. press the snap button halfway down to set the focus.. (I have the camera set on AUTO focus).. and then shoot one picture with the flash on and one without flash... I pick the best one and there you have it... this has made all the difference as I use to waste alot of time and effort and would wind up with a poor quality picture.. now it's 3 minutes from start to finish... hope this helps Jim
Old 03-02-08, 04:25 PM

The York Rangers are out of Toronto Right? The cat reminds me of the 205th CEF out of Hamilton. Was there a perpetuation of the regiment from the 205th, hence the cat?

Greg