British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-12-20, 08:44 PM

Dean,

Congrats on your daughter and the badges.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-12-20, 09:04 PM

So mine was the 1887 queen Victoria jubilee badge for the 6th Inniskillen Dragoon Guards hallmarked and engraved to the rear with Sgt James. An absolutely stunning badge. So pleased with the find. A few other forum members have similar badges belonging to other mess members.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A31527E6-F2E4-4B06-8407-210A2424321D.jpg (67.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpeg 583B7C8D-9221-40F1-8582-3BA1B8CA7993.jpeg (42.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 28-12-20, 10:50 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Merry Christmas to all.

Quite the year - a beautiful baby daughter, a COVID-19 vaccine that works but dropped from further clinical trials due to HIV false positive tests and a near complete set of Officer’s gilt King’s Colonials Regimental and Squadron badges, and King Edward’s Horse Officer’s gilt badges.

Best regards to all, Dean
Well done Dean, bad luck about the vaccine but I hope that the badges make up for it and hows mum and your girl going.

Merry Christmas

Phil.
Old 28-12-20, 11:39 AM

Default AAC badge with 3 lugs.

Hi everyone,

One of my favourite purchases of 2020 is this AAC cap badge with 3 lugs.

AAC-HM-1942-1.jpgAAC-HM-1942-2.jpgAAC-HM-1942-3.jpg

Best wishes for you all from The Netherlands,

Marinus
Old 30-12-20, 04:04 PM

one last addition arrived today, a pair of OSD collars for the Brecknockshire Territorial bn. of the SWB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (40.7 KB, 13 views)

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 31-12-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 31-12-20, 06:18 PM

A little late to the thread, but nothing spectacular to report in the badge department. I added some nice brass T/RFA and T/RGA titles and was finally able to get the 2nd and 3rd Birmingham Pals titles.

I had some amazing luck (aided by a bit of skill) in the art department. Relevant to the site, my best finds were a number of plates from Rowlandson's Loyal Volunteers of London & Environs and several from the British Military Library; or, Journal: comprehending a complete body of military knowledge.
A few examples below. The hand coloring on the Rowlandsons is stunning for 220+ years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83395824_2_x.jpg.jpg (38.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 83395824_8_x.jpg.jpg (37.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 90035215_4_x.jpg.jpg (40.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 90035215_5_x.jpg.jpg (41.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-01-21, 07:52 AM

In 2020, I finally managed to attain a 23rd Hussars officers badge marked S and J.R. Gaunt, London.

Also, a couple of nice 7th Armoured Division badges purchased via eBay, and an Italian theatre made 1st Armoured Division badge.

My my eight-year-old son has developed an interest in formation badges, namely those depicting ‘animals’ in the design - it’s a start, should he be inclined to continue collecting militaria.

So, for keeping his bedroom tidy, doing his homework, reading ten pages of a book per day, plus in refraining from antagonising his three sisters - he has so far earned these 13 Corps badges over the last nine months.
Old 05-01-21, 08:03 PM

Nice badges Marcus, congratulations !
I really loved the story with your son, you must be a good father
Regards
Normandie18
Old 05-01-21, 09:24 PM

Love the 7th Armored Marcus!!!

Terry
Old 05-01-21, 10:14 PM

Lol...bet your son loves those patches !! A great start in life from his dad !! Great work Marcus.
Old 07-01-21, 03:34 PM

Default Montgomeryshire Yeomanry 🏆

I’d like to change my mind if I may.

This hattrick of stunners arrived today but the deal was agreed on 27th December so it’s a very late entry for 2020.

The Gaunt badge is absolutely amazing. I’ve never seen anything like it and believe it to be a trial badge. Literally a one off maybe?

As I’m sure people know the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry ceased to be in 1920. I have seen Tank Corps (pre-1924) and Rough Riders (re-roled 1920/1) badges with similar Gaunt marks so given they did not mark their sliders in WW1 it must presumably date 1919-20.

The second badge is the ‘accepted’ MY two-piece cap badge and in itself a hens tooth. Aside from the example in Kevin’s (41st) album I’ve only seen one other in a Bosley’s catalogue over a decade ago.

The third is another much derided single piece variant. Whilst I have seen one of these which gave me doubts I don’t this one and it’s been in a collection since the 1950s. That said I would still like to find a photo of this type being worn.
Old 07-01-21, 03:38 PM

Luke,

3 beauties there. The Gaunt one, as you say, is exceptional quality, possibly a specimen or off a pattern card.

Well done.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-01-21, 03:41 PM

Great pick up Luke.
I've never heard of a Gaunt marked variant like yours and have no idea when it would have been issued for wear.
The third badge is very interesting too as it doesn't look like any of the known copies. Definitely a keeper.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Old 07-01-21, 04:04 PM

Thanks both and Happy New Year to you. Am over the moon if somewhat skint.

It could easily be off the patter card or specimen I agree Simon. Like you Kevin I’ve no idea real idea either and doubt it or others like it were issued for wear.

Perhaps just post WW1 the MY were looking to order some new better quality badges than their wartime issue and this was tendered as a specimen, then news came of their fate and the order went no further than the specimen or SP?

Just an idea.

Last edited by Luke H; 07-01-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-01-21, 09:50 AM

you wait years for one to come along and then like buses three turn up at once.

A stunning trio of rare badges Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I’d like to change my mind if I may.

This hattrick of stunners arrived today but the deal was agreed on 27th December so it’s a very late entry for 2020.

The Gaunt badge is absolutely amazing. I’ve never seen anything like it and believe it to be a trial badge. Literally a one off maybe?

As I’m sure people know the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry ceased to be in 1920. I have seen Tank Corps (pre-1924) and Rough Riders (re-roled 1920/1) badges with similar Gaunt marks so given they did not mark their sliders in WW1 it must presumably date 1919-20.

The second badge is the ‘accepted’ MY two-piece cap badge and in itself a hens tooth. Aside from the example in Kevin’s (41st) album I’ve only seen one other in a Bosley’s catalogue over a decade ago.

The third is another much derided single piece variant. Whilst I have seen one of these which gave me doubts I don’t this one and it’s been in a collection since the 1950s. That said I would still like to find a photo of this type being worn.

Jerry