British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-21, 09:44 AM

What an interesting thread this has been. I will look out for the arm band to go with my 1WW WRNS badges if Miss Sinclair is listed as a WRNS CW, but the chances of finding one is, I think, rather remote.
Old 08-09-21, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston View Post
What an interesting thread this has been. I will look out for the arm band to go with my 1WW WRNS badges if Miss Sinclair is listed as a WRNS CW, but the chances of finding one is, I think, rather remote.
I'm don't think she was in the WRNS , the majority of Coast Watchers were civilian.

Quote:
The percentage of civilian coast watchers employed under the Admiralty who have never served in the Navy, Army, or Mercantile Marine during the present War is as follows:
Great Britain - 89.7 %
Miss Stroma Alexander-Sinclair was the daughter of Admiral Sir Edwyn Sinclair Alexander-Sinclair MVO GCB , she was awarded the MBE in 1918 (no mention of military rank).

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...t/389/data.pdf

She left Scotand to live in Canada soon after the war (mid 1920's).

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 08-09-21, 01:47 PM

Another interlude

It has previously been mentioned that Sea Scouts were used for coast watching :
Quote:
Hertfordshire Sea Scouts were also seconded to coast watching duties. As all Coastguards had volunteered or were recruited, 8000 Sea Scouts became responsible for helping to protect the coasts of England throughout the war.
Found a photo of their badge , just in case anyone spots one and thinks it is connected to the CW-RN.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scouts Coast Watching.jpg (19.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 08-09-21, 04:17 PM

Default Mystery 'CW' Armlet

It's incredible how my simple request for help in identifying an unknown armlet has turned into such an interesting topic!

As has been said, I don't think Miss Sinclair was ever actually in the WRNS. I think that was simply a case of well she's a coast watcher RN so she must be in the WRNS!

And I knew that scouts worked as coast watchers. But I had just assumed that they were scouts that lived near the stretch of coast that they patrolled.

It's interesting to read that Hertfordshire Sea Scouts were seconded for coast watching duties. Hertfordshire is my home county and it's a bloody long way from the sea!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 08-09-21, 04:53 PM

It seems that Sea Scouts had to "be prepared" to travel !

Quote:
A total of 73 Scouts from Hertfordshire were also sent to Flax Gathering Camps at Deeping St James in Lincolnshire.
https://everydaylivesinwar.herts.ac....dshire-scouts/

Old 09-09-21, 01:27 PM

Hi Mike

Although I agree that many may not have been affiliated actually RN personnel, the arm band does say RN and the back of Miss Sinclairs photo (see ebay item) states she was of the W.R.N.S Coast Watchers.

A bit of a loose connection but does state W.R.N.S however the chances of myself finding one, like other W.R.N.S badges is rather remote
Old 09-09-21, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
As has been said, I don't think Miss Sinclair was ever actually in the WRNS. I think that was simply a case of well she's a coast watcher RN so she must be in the WRNS!
I agree for a couple of reasons , the photo in the IWM simply states :
Quote:
Sinclair , Miss Stroma Alexander - , Coast Watcher Royal Navy.
Also , her MBE is listed in the Civil Division rather than the Military Division. I just discovered that she was only 18 year old when she received the honour.

From a NZ newpaper (The Press) Friday May 3rd 1918 :

Quote:
The youngest was Miss Stroma Grisell Campbell Alexander-Sinclair , aged 18, only daughter of Captain E.S. Alexander-Sinclair, R.N., of Dunblane Castle Caithness . Since the beginning of the war she has taken an active part in coast watching and signalling. She wore the uniform of the coast watchers who co-operate with the Navy and the Coastguard, and the King asked her many questions about her work. The family have many associations with the Services , and ships are a feature of their coat of arms.

Old 09-09-21, 08:47 PM

Default Mystery 'CW' Armlet

Evening all

No, I'm afraid that she certainly wasn't a Wren. I certainly wouldn't put too much faith in what was written on the back of the original photo. We've all seen images with incorrect info on the back.

And I like the way the newspaper report stated that she wore her coastwatchers uniform! They were certainly issued with a nice hat! Unless by uniform they simply mean her badge and armlet.

I was also rather surprised to see that the original image didn't sell on ebay and that there were actually no bids. I did think of bidding myself but thought that, because of its rarity, it would sell for silly money! How wrong can you be!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II