British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-12, 11:46 AM

Default Men from Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Rifle Brigade?

Hi all,

I picked up that photo from evil-bay and to be sure, I would like to confirm with the experts these soldiers unit cap badges.

To me looks like two guys are from Roya Dublin Fusiliers and also two from Rifle Brigade.

Also can some forum member with the knowledge confirm the period of the photo, based their uniforms? I am thinking, because their belts, whats look to me war period issue, that it can be taken anytime between 1914-1922?

Regards,

Timo

close up

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 21-09-12, 10:24 PM

The photo is almost certainly early in the war as there are no wound or war service stripes and the caps are the stiffened pattern from 1914. They are likely to be territorials, as they have the 08 pattern web belts rather than the service battalion leather and the rifle brigade men do not have black buttons, which the regulars of the RB certainly would have. After the war they would all usually have collar badges.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-12-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 22-09-12, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The photo is almost certainly early in the war as there are no wound or war service stripes and the caps are the stiffened pattern from 1914. They are likely to be territorials, as they have the 08 pattern web belts rather than the service battalion leather and the rifle brigade men do not have back buttons, which the regulars of the RB certainly would have. After the war they would all usually have collar badges.
Oh! not like you to make an error - but the RDF didn't have a Territorial element, but they did have a Special Reserve. No utility jackets and Lee Enfields, could indicate earlier rather than later in the War and so they could possibly be Regular or Special Reservists coming through a Depot. However I haven't got no files here with me to try and find further clues - is there a photographers mark on the reverse I wonder?
Old 22-09-12, 08:47 PM

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately there is no extra clues on the back. Just regular printed back with the text POST CARD, line, what devides paper half and area for a stamp. No maker or date.

Kind regards,

Timo
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 23-09-12, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Oh! not like you to make an error - but the RDF didn't have a Territorial element, but they did have a Special Reserve. No utility jackets and Lee Enfields, could indicate earlier rather than later in the War and so they could possibly be Regular or Special Reservists coming through a Depot. However I haven't got no files here with me to try and find further clues - is there a photographers mark on the reverse I wonder?
Mea Culpa Graham (old friend) and well spotted! Serves me right for writing quickly without thinking it through and late at night. In light of that I concur with all that you have said. It's unusual though for Regulars of any Rifles unit to not have their QMs find them black buttons. I suspect that they are reservists and just recently mobilised, as you have suggested.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-12-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 08:41 PM

Thank you again guys!

Here is another RDF related picture. At this time it is official photogaph, with the printed label and stamps on the back. Photos from same serie are seen in many books. Thats why I know that on the picture, Cardinal Bourne actually visit Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who welcome him. Other Irish units were less presented at this event. Text behind picture "Cardinal Bourne visits the Western Front. The Cardinal on his way to conduct a service at a Catholic Club."

Old 12-12-12, 04:19 PM

I have absolutely no grounds to disagree with the above consensus, just to say my first impression was POST war ...... clearly by which I mean 1919-22.

Don't ask me why ....... something about the tailoring for want of a better word.

Is there anything here that make it definitely not 1920, say?

Just asking, you understand!
Old 12-12-12, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I have absolutely no grounds to disagree with the above consensus, just to say my first impression was POST war ...... clearly by which I mean 1919-22.

Don't ask me why ....... something about the tailoring for want of a better word.

Is there anything here that make it definitely not 1920, say?

Just asking, you understand!
Yes I agree that there is nothing to absolutely preclude a WW1 date, although the total absence of wound and service stripes narrows the odds. That said, thay all look relatively young and could be new recruits either before, or after the war. They all have clean brasses and the neatly tailored uniforms would be just as much a feature of before the war, as after it.
Old 12-12-12, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thank you again guys!

Here is another RDF related picture. At this time it is official photogaph, with the printed label and stamps on the back. Photos from same serie are seen in many books. Thats why I know that on the picture, Cardinal Bourne actually visit Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who welcome him. Other Irish units were less presented at this event. Text behind picture "Cardinal Bourne visits the Western Front. The Cardinal on his way to conduct a service at a Catholic Club."
Why were other Irish units not so much in attendance? Many, regiments including the Royal Irish Rifles, were full of Roman Catholics.
Old 17-12-12, 02:18 AM

The best way of dating may not be with Jackets, caps or insignia.

The four that you zoomed in on can we have zoom showing there legs and boots?

Odd, most seem to wearing some sort of pantaloons and the model of boots may help.

Joe Sweeney